Preview Rnd 22 - Carlton v Port Friday 22nd August 7.20PM @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My point is was it 13 at the same time like us?

Missing a couple of players here & there isn't what I was referring to.

I just think it's a bit unfair saying only 2 injuries caused our downturn.
We have had more than that throughout the year. Not saying they were all the same time. But I would hardly say we have been lucky with injuries this season.

Port are the 3rd youngest team, Our gameplan requires high levels of energy and we are simply cooked because of it.
Also teams have kept the game contested and have flooded excessively to stop our run which has caused us to go from a 110+ points scoring team to averaging under 70 points most weeks now.

Won't get in with his exposed form. Not sure how he played last week, but in the weeks before he was poor.
Played well from all reports last week. We might not have a choice given we need to replace Menz, Daisy, Ellard, Brock & maybe Yazz or Jamo.

I just think it's a bit unfair saying only 2 injuries caused our downturn.
We have had more than that throughout the year. Not saying they were all the same time. But I would hardly say we have been lucky with injuries this season.

Port are the 3rd youngest team, Our gameplan requires high levels of energy and we are simply cooked because of it.
Also teams have kept the game contested and have flooded excessively to stop our run which has caused us to go from a 110+ points scoring team to averaging under 70 points most weeks now.

Re the first bit, I was referring to missing 5+ first choice players at the same time and good teams should be able to cover that. That's all. Nothing to say your best 22 is bad or the like. Just that I'd be interested to see Port deal with injuries that Hawthorn have copped. We'll be lining up without Hendo, Walker, Daisy, Menzel, Everitt, Buckley & Robbo on the weekend + others who would get a game before the kids we're having to play. I would be interested to see how Port would go missing a similar number at the same time.

Re the second bit - that should be concerning. What you've just described to me is Port struggling to play when teams make the game a finals style. Finals footy is all about contested footy. You won't be playing free flowing running footy in finals.

I see 13 best 22 players there.
Carlile, Monfries and Trengove are the only real best-22 players who have missed regularly or significant periods.

Lots of little niggles in there to some of your best players, but really, they have missed relatively* few games.

*Relative to some injury lists with guys playing only a handful of games in total

JeffJuddHero.jpg

Wouldn't it be good to have this guy back in this spirit?

Brings a tear to mans eye.
Sure would. Sure does. Great pic.

Port have been lucky this season with injuries? No way. Whether it be the 20 million rolled ankles they've had to a number of key players (Monfries, Boak, White etc), or the season ending injuries to their two backup ruckmen, then there was the time that Carlile and Trengove both got injured for an extended period of time leaving Lobbe as the only ruck in the team and forcing Westhoff to cover as the backup rucks were out for the year. Don't forget last week's game when Trengove and Monfries both were late outs and Aaron Young had to be brought back from half way to the airport so he could be the sub!

Yes, they haven't had many season ending injuries, but they've had plenty of niggling injuries and a number of their key guys have been out for periods this season. Losing Trengove over a 6 week period killed them structure wise and it coincided with the loss in form.

Expecting a close-ish game, but I don't expect Carlton to seriously challenge port when it comes to the final quarter. Port by 3-4 goals.
I was talking about Richmond having a good run with injuries, not Port.

Port's troubles had more to do with their young team running out of gas and their run and gun style got worked out by opposition coaches.

Even Carlton with a half fit team matched Port for three quarters before Port's superior fitness got them over the line.

I think the 'running out of gas' story doing the rounds is a myth. They're running as fast and for as long as they were round 1. It's more to do with dumb decision making and poor skill execution. Although having been worked out, they are sticking to the run and gun style, however without any real forward options are caught in two minds and tend to butcher it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the 'running out of gas' story doing the rounds is a myth. They're running as fast and for as long as they were round 1. It's more to do with dumb decision making and poor skill execution. Although having been worked out, they are sticking to the run and gun style, however without any real forward options are caught in two minds and tend to butcher it.

Young teams run out of gas and poor fitness = poor decision making and skill execution.

Fitter teams e.g Hawthorn tend to have better skills.

Are we going to be able to field a team? No Jeffy now either.

Any chance we can rush Dre or Bucks back?

Armfield probably keeps his spot now.

Last edited:
Young teams run out of gas and poor fitness = poor decision making and skill execution.

Fitter teams e.g Hawthorn tend to have better skills.

Maybe towards the end of a game. Skill errors been happening to Port from the first bounce - check out the games against Doggies, Lions and Melbourne (1st time around) where the 1st or 2nd quarters or were riddled with errors before they found their mark.
Lack of fitness would see them overrun but in 'recent' games Port has hauled in leads in the last quarter to come back against Essendon (loss 2 points), Melbourne (win 3 points) and Collingwood (loss 6 points after hitting the lead).

Agree to disagree ;)

Maybe towards the end of a game. Skill errors been happening to Port from the first bounce - check out the games against Doggies, Lions and Melbourne (1st time around) where the 1st or 2nd quarters or were riddled with errors before they found their mark.
Lack of fitness would see them overrun but 'recent' games Port has hauled in leads in the last quarter to come back against Essendon (loss 2 points), Melbourne (win 3 points) and Collingwood (loss 6 points after hitting the lead).

Agree to disagree ;)

"I do not want to discuss this topic any further"

Last edited:
Educated summary. Agree. Their disposal and decision making has killed us. Credit to other coaches working out our structures. And trengove plus Carlile missing made us team of short people. Tide turning though

Menz on plane. No Daisy.

Menz better only play if there's no risk of further damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back