Roasting Rucci (a bigfooty counter)

Remove this Banner Ad

afc1991

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I must admit, I don’t read every Rucci article- but over the years I have noticed mistakes in his work. I'm not talking about his pot-shots at the crows, his on again, off again love affair with Port (and how it influences his writing), or the wonderful piece that is The Roast.

Rather I’m talking about factual errors that occur on a regular basis, be it statistical or otherwise. Certainly this is something that should not happen to a 'chief football writer' in a major newspaper (if you can call the Advertiser that), especially one who is so smug in his assessment and criticisms of other people.

After noticing so many (imagine if I read everything) mistakes I wished Id kept a record- but I guess I had better things to do. Therefore I propose this thread as an ‘official Rucci counter’ where such mistakes can be recorded. Let’s be nice and discount the (dozens, hundreds?) that occurred prior to 2009, and Ill kick us off with the first couple.

Rucci’s counter 0000001

In the lead up to the showdown he made reference to a couple of players, describing them as “two of four men that played in the first showdown

Back in 97 AFL must have been two-a-side.

Rucci’s counter 0000002

In today’s paper- apparently we are 0-2 at AAMI this year.

Hate to point out our crapness at home this year, but it’s 0-3.

I must admit, I don’t read every Rucci article- but over the years I have noticed mistakes in his work. I'm not talking about his pot-shots at the crows, his on again, off again love affair with Port (and how it influences his writing), or the wonderful piece that is The Roast.

Rather I’m talking about factual errors that occur on a regular basis, be it statistical or otherwise. Certainly this is something that should not happen to a 'chief football writer' in a major newspaper (if you can call the Advertiser that), especially one who is so smug in his assessment and criticisms of other people.

After noticing so many (imagine if I read everything) mistakes I wished Id kept a record- but I guess I had better things to do. Therefore I propose this thread as an ‘official Rucci counter’ where such mistakes can be recorded. Let’s be nice and discount the (dozens, hundreds?) that occurred prior to 2009, and Ill kick us off with the first couple.

Rucci’s counter 0000001

In the lead up to the showdown he made reference to a couple of players, describing them as “two of four men that played in the first showdown

Rucci’s counter 0000002

This thread may be the most fun we have all year. I am also not surprised that your counter has seven digits, it implies you expect Rucci to make (at maximum) 9,999,999 mistakes this year, which i think is fair. However, in the spirit of all things the Advertiser, we also point out (perhaps on a different counter) the sometimes comical errors made by Messrs Capel and Fjeldstad.

Pretty obvious he's reffering to home games. So its 0-2.

Fraid not...to quote exactly...

"Adelaide is 0-2 at West Lakes this season."

So unless they dig up footy park and move it somewhere else for the away showdown Im right.

What are you his lover?

Rucci’s counter 0000002

Pretty obvious he's reffering to home games. So its 0-2.

Fraid not...to quote exactly...

"Adelaide is 0-2 at West Lakes this season."

So unless they dig up footy park and move it somewhere else for the away showdown Im right.

What are you his lover?
pwnt-31487.jpg

There was one just before the season started showing historical facts about Port. When they were trying to get a better Stadium deal or some sh1t

But he got the year of their flag Wrong. (It's is in 09, but I didnt keep it to prove it, and get the exact mistake recorded)

So does that count as #3?

You might disagree with what he says, but compared to some other Australian journalists, Rucci doesn't make too many factual mistakes.

Don't mean to be a downer, but is this actually wrong? You can put in the technicality basket where #2 has been put, but clearly he's saying four current players played in the first showdown not that teams had 20 less players than they do now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mean to be a downer, but is this actually wrong? You can put in the technicality basket where #2 has been put, but clearly he's saying four current players played in the first showdown not that teams had 20 less players than they do now.

Really? I thought he really meant teams only had two players :rolleyes:...

Seriously refer to cmdstab's post bove.

As for #2 you cant disagree. It's no technicality- we are 0-3 at home. Seriously I'm not nit-picking some bloggers post here, Im talking about a guy who is paid to write. Who is he to judge players/coaches etc when he can't get simple facts right.

How hard can it be? Don't they have work experience kids to check facts anyway? (wonder if that what kenny mcgregor does there :D)

Over the years, I too have been amused (and sometimes angry) at the inaccurate figures/data/information that are reported in the media.
I figure if I can verify what is correct that journalists should have the integrity to do the same and not be so sloppy.
In future I will take note and hopefully be able to add to this list.

No, just stating a blatantly obvious fact for any footy fan that has a bit of nouse.
He is a supposed profesional journalist which means he should be able to convey his message across correctly. In this case what he wrote was incorrect. If he wrote "In home games at Aami the Crows are 0-2" he would have been correct.

The standards of the Advertiser as a whole have decreased significantly over the past ten years. It now lives up to its paper size, ie Tabloid.

I think we should add 0000001 to the count everytime we get a Port Power Pleb on this thread defending Rucci:p

:eek: I must admit that for the most part i dont mind Rucci's articles - i find him to be more analytical and insightful than most media people.
Its only when he starts on his agendas (such as the Ayres or the Thommo counter as examples) that he gives me the shytes.

Sure he makes factual errors, but most media people do make them and much more comical errors.
Compared with Cornes lack of knowledge of AFL Club lists & players etc, Rucci is a mastermind. Fortunately, Cornes now has Rowey to give us the more accurate and analytical facts whereas Rucci's sidekicks are .....

For Caroline Wilson we'd have to start a counter of the number of times she vainly tries to come across as a cold, tough bitch in a desperate attempt to justify her position as a "woman in a man's field", but instead ends up looking/sounding like a bitter moron instead.
Should I report it. Or will I get an infraction for reporting a mod and wasting their time?

No, just stating a blatantly obvious fact for any footy fan that has a bit of nouse.

Erm no, this is Rucci logic being used on him, he is the first one to get compeltely anal about someone slightly mis saying something when it is perfectly obvious what they are saying. Live by the sword die by the sword. And you can now run along to your own board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back