Other Roethlisberger Rape Allegations and Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2010 Off-Season: Free Agency, Trades, Rumors, Confirmed News

I've been touching base with a pittsburgh native and she says that the situation may get hostile for Big Ben as many Steeler fans will not forgive him and don't want him representing Pittsburgh. I threw in my slant... (in support of Big Ben) Tomlin has come in with his.. gonna be another interesting season.. that's for sure. I think a three week suspension may beckon with the Steelers hosting the first of division rivals, the Ravens, in week 4. What a spicy encounter if ever.

Here is an extract of the Tomlin Article.

"The next step for us is to see where this thing goes from a disciplinary standpoint and then react accordingly, and we will at that time," Tomlin said.

If Roethlisberger is suspended, Dennis Dixon or veteran Charlie Batch would start.

"I've always been a guy who has prided myself as far as being game-ready regardless of what the situation is. And I'm going to continue doing that," Dixon said.

Players who spoke were united in their expressed support of Roethlisberger.

"He's our guy, flat-out," Colon said. "Whatever he has to go through I'm going to stand behind him, not only as a teammate but as a friend and brother and I'm going to make sure he gets through it."

Colon was with Roethlisberger's party the night of March 4 and early March 5 in Georgia, but has said he did not see anything and was not involved. Police questioned him, and those interviews were among the full report of the investigation the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette obtained last week.

"It's tough from an aspect I have a mom and a sister and I have females in the family and they have to read negative things and so-called things I've said," Colon said. "It is what it is at this point. All I can do is come to work everyday and be positive and be representative of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Players also stated their hope to get the issue out of the way as quickly as possible.

"I think we're at the point now where it's time to put it behind us," said linebacker James Farrior, a defensive captain, who acknowledged the possibility of a suspension. "We all understand that nobody's bigger than the team. We all know we can play without any one person. We'll just take that approach and see what happens."

I'd like to add... here is a ideal chance for the Cardinals to POUNCE and nab the QB they need to take them back to the Big Dance. I'm thinking R1 & R2 picks.

Steelers would be lucky to get a second rounder for him at this stage - too much baggage at the moment

you are devaluing him .. even with his off-field antics, Ben is still worth a first rounder at the very least

you are devaluing him .. even with his off-field antics, Ben is still worth a first rounder at the very least

No doubt, I reckon he's still worth 2 1st rounders. I'd say your boy Al would pony up those primo picks for Big Ben...

Steelers would be lucky to get a second rounder for him at this stage - too much baggage at the moment

Too much Baggage of 'No Charges'? :confused: The Georgia DA could of nailed BB big time... as the general perception is SCREAMING out GUILTY AS HELL but so much inconsistencies and benefit of doubt have given BB a leg up (excuse the pun) on getting away with such a controversial act of immaturity. (let's not overlook the fact that she was equal to the cause!! takes two to tango!!).

I'm reading that Goodell will pledge that BB goes thru rehab & councelling and that becomes a conditional suspension slashed from 4 to 2 weeks. Seems fair to me. The Rooney's will endorse such a move I'd say. The good thing about this will determine whether Big Ben's mindset can cope and overcome such adversity to allow the team to be better... the RUNNING GAME will be more prominent. :thumbsu: Big Ben can then take less hits / sacks especially if the Steelers draft a O-Linesman first pick. I expect the Steeler faithful in da Burgh to embrace him again as a PROUD player.

Woodson - you're forgetting about the rise of women's groups in sport. No owner want's to upset 50% of the population and say they support sex offenders. My own beliefs aside (BB made a big F'in error, something should of happened a whole lot sooner, teams need to be involved in players personal lives to protect their brands, contracts should be a whole lot stricter about these sort of things and most importantly players deserve a second chance at least. He is young and F'd up with all the power) teams will be taking a massive risk being associated with someone that takes advantage of women. Would I be willing to part way with the second rounder from the Rams for him - sure (Can easily put a lot of PR spin onto it) but teams will hesitate.

Personally I think BB should just give a million or so to a local charity, say what he had done but his team into jeopardy to take advantage of his position and he'll be seeking counselling to be a better leader for the team and for the community.

Now back onto topic - no team is going to pay top draft pick, the highest he may get is Brown's 1st rounder (still reasonably high) if they got Big Ben and a bundle of picks. However it is a PR nightmare and a team distraction all throughout the off season. Look at the Bills - they added Owens and it was a giant distraction for them. I'm still amazed they did so well (and are my tips at the moment to be on the rise next season at this stage).

Woodson - you're forgetting about the rise of women's groups in sport. No owner want's to upset 50% of the population and say they support sex offenders. My own beliefs aside (BB made a big F'in error, something should of happened a whole lot sooner, teams need to be involved in players personal lives to protect their brands, contracts should be a whole lot stricter about these sort of things and most importantly players deserve a second chance at least. He is young and F'd up with all the power) teams will be taking a massive risk being associated with someone that takes advantage of women. Would I be willing to part way with the second rounder from the Rams for him - sure (Can easily put a lot of PR spin onto it) but teams will hesitate.

Personally I think BB should just give a million or so to a local charity, say what he had done but his team into jeopardy to take advantage of his position and he'll be seeking counselling to be a better leader for the team and for the community.

I agree wholeheartedly Larkis. Don't make it out that I'm totally pulling the wool over my own eyes to believe that this isn't a serious issue with him.. he'll get the councelling and rehab no doubt.. staying off the GROG should be the #1 priority for him.. seriously! if he can hold up on his promise and sure, paying out some loose change to such affiliated organisations will smooth the way for smart PR to admit/ face up to his responsibilities... on the flipside.. ALCOHOL should be "emphasised" as the poison to immature behaviour, that's the bottom line here.. it's an out of character thing that has allowed the circumstance to escalate to a serious issue. It's a world wide issue... I know because I see it too often first hand. And yes, I've been THREATENED for working responsibly.. that's why security is a big industry these days.. the security group on that fatal night have corrupted the situation. They should be/ of been sued for failing to comply to their responsibilities.

Roethlisberger ban 4-6 games

By Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter
ESPN
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended for four to six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, according to multiple sources. ( GG was right... Goodell is a pr**K) :p

When the suspension is announced, it will contain conditions that will allow it to be reduced based on Roethlisberger's behavior and compliance with clinical evaluators. (Table tennis in pj's with Tiger Woods at the clinic could be a healthy bonding session)

Commissioner Roger Goodell's verdict will reinforce a message that NFL employees will be held to a higher standard than the law. (laughable comment.. if it was a higher standard, he'd be tossed out of the game along with many felons..) :rolleyes:

Steelers employees were bracing Tuesday night for what they suspected would be an eight-game suspension, :eek: but two sources said it would not be eight games. (Did he belt the poor girl as well?? 8 weeks...pfffft!)

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst. Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. (clowns in suits!) :)

source: ESPN

So much for NO Charges laid.. imagine if he was 'pinged' ... like Micheal Vick.. hey... Vick is playing NFL.. again... good one Goodell.. schmuck!

Side-stepping the Roethlisberger incident for just one second, I really do HATE Goodell. I was jsut reading his latest answer the fans chat on NFL.com and **** me if he doesnt completely ignore answering tough questions, or force-feds them an attitude like the person upset with something should shut up and accept Goodell's vision of the NFL.

confirmed as six games by Adam Schefter and ESPN. wow.

Side-stepping the Roethlisberger incident for just one second, I really do HATE Goodell. I was just reading his latest answer the fans chat on NFL.com and **** me if he doesnt completely ignore answering tough questions, or force-feds them an attitude like the person upset with something should shut up and accept Goodell's vision of the NFL.

That's the politics of the biz GG... so much to DESPISE about them. Anyway... I'm OVER it.. Steelers will rally now with #10.. if they get off to a solid start without Ben... good on 'em. Adversity is a good thing. Fires everyone up.

Anyway, here's the full 'READING the RIOT ACT' story.

The Steelers being pinged $200k is something that will sting the Rooney's BIG TIME.. they'll obviously save a bunch of coin from not paying out his salary and furthermore, make Big Ben accountable for all the shenanigans that fatal evening. I'm anticipating the Steelers will seek to have him TRADED before the season is done & dusted.. even during the Draft perhaps. Whether that includes selections in the 2011 draft... who knows.. but Dennis Dixon has a chance to LEAD this team in 2010.. it's his job to lose. I wish him well. Steelers reputation will consolidate back to it's known for. Integrity. Until last night... I was quite apprehensive about having NO Big Ben play for the Steelers in 2010...now it's quite the case of coming to terms that 'starting over' with #10 (Dennis Dixon's new number) behind centre and watch the the Steelers become a force again. Life goes on.

The chapter of the Big Ben era in da 'Burgh is dawning to a close. Dissappointed as I care to be.. I'm a Steeler fan first & foremost. Championships can still be won...just gonna be a HUGE team effort now. Time to be PROUD of the Steelers once again... Steeler Nation will appreciate it also in the long run. So I'm trying to work out why Michael Vick is allowed to play in the NFL again.. Big Ben = no charges but Michael Vick is convicted...a Dog Killer.. yet embraced and welcomed back to play and earn real coin.. Goodell is a hypocrite.

I still hope the Raiders dont get BB, he's a mistake away from longer suspensions etc.

Read that the Steelers contacted every team in the top 10, and many of them were flat out NOT interested, so IF the Raiders are interested, hope they can low-ball the Steelers then considering no one else is interested in touching it.

But the Raiders seem hell-bent on building a team of high-character players moving forward (JR in the doghouse or on his way out). And I don't think Amy Trask will want to have a sex offender on her team. Cable and Roethlisberger together as well would create bad publicity. Cable bad enough as it is.

Jason Campbell could be a better option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This situation has massive similarities to the Carlton Fev fiasco.

I still see the Steelers being competitive without Big Ben and it will give someone else a go at the helm with a very good team.

If the Steelers get a 1st Rdr for Ben it would be great compensation (if they choose to go down this path) and there is good talent this year at QB in the draft to back up Leftwich who is no slouch either. Life goes on and Bens time in Pittsburgh is coming to a close IMO.

Interesting few days coming up to say the least!! ;)

This situation has massive similarities to the Carlton Fev fiasco.

I still see the Steelers being competitive without Big Ben and it will give someone else a go at the helm with a very good team.

If the Steelers get a 1st Rdr for Ben it would be great compensation (if they choose to go down this path) and there is good talent this year at QB in the draft to back up Leftwich who is no slouch either. Life goes on and Bens time in Pittsburgh is coming to a close IMO.

Interesting few days coming up to say the least!! ;)

That's the sour spot.. Getting another team willing to trade at this stage.. I'm sure that some teams will throw out a 'R1 pick 2011 option' to dangle the trade carrot to the Steelers front office with such a move and maybe exchange order in R2 of this seasons draft.. still think ARZ is the right place to go. Part of me want him to overcome his issues but Steeler Nation in 'da Burgh' is divided about him. I'm getting that feedback from a 'Burgh resident. Getting BOOOed isn't nice and I wonder if a '8 game winning streak' can mend the relationship he needs do with EVERYONE.. That's where it's at. All this can BLOW OVER with time but the real 'anchor of agony' is what happens with the impending case in Nevada arises?? The NFL are happy to serve out suspensions willy nilly for offenses with no charges.. (;)) but how do they balance civil cases? :confused:

Y'know this will set a precedence of suspensions in future misdemeanors across the league.. a good thing really (if the NFL are consistent) but SIX weeks for a 'no charges' offense is an excessive penalty!!

so who do you want starting in those six weeks, Woodson? Dixon, Batch or Leftwich? imagine training camp will be straight shootout between them three.

quite pleased we get @Steelers done while he's suspended too.

so who do you want starting in those six weeks, Woodson? Dixon, Batch or Leftwich? imagine training camp will be straight shootout between them three.

quite pleased we get @Steelers done while he's suspended too.

Dixon is clearly the MAN who holds the spot IMHO. Batch is there still because he knows the playbook well and Leftwich is insurance. But don't get too smug about the pending suspension yet.. ;) stranger things have happened.. the whole rehab and maybe Ben reaching into his piggybank to donate some coin to affiliated charities can be the blessing to allow him to play before the 'supposably' 6 weeks... all media speculation atm.. Goodell hasn't slammed the hammer down on such a decision so you never know if it's a conditional suspension... the "no charges" has to acknowledged... Michael Vick was banned for 6 weeks IRRC and he even spent time in the big house so go figure. Is the media 100% most of the time?? I didn't think so but i'm just bracing myself for 'the worst'.. (the trade) << :(

Re: Roethlisberger Rape Allegation MEDIA SENSATIONALISM

I want each and all of you to read this article... by Dr Sean Wilson

Just underlines the whole saga as another pathetic Media Circus episode :rolleyes:

Then answer these 3 questions honestly:

1. If you were in Big Ben's shoes at the time.. would you be SHOCKED by the accusation?
2. Is Big Ben in denial he did anything untoward considering these nightspot exchanges (can) happen in every town, place WORLDWIDE every weekend?
3. Six weeks for just 'playing the role of a frat boy' ... so what do the NFL impose for a far more serious offense (think Santonio Holmes glass episode) assault of another human being as a suspension??

Not less than 6 weeks surely. And Santonio Holmes wasn't been arrested either.

Re: Roethlisberger Rape Allegation MEDIA SENSATIONALISM

I read something that highlighted that the NFL's code of conduct has nothing to do with whether players get arrested or not, charged or not.

I think the only REAL crime he committed was 'offering a drink to the accuser'
who wasn't of legal age and was 'reportedly' already intoxicated..

Here is an extract of the article:

"The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person'," Goodell wrote. "As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing (or facilitating the purchase of) alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk.

From RG's 'Riot Act' source: NFL.com

But the reality is that BB learn his lesson good & proper. No trade required Mr Rooney. Wonder how many weeks suspension Santonio Holmes is up for when Roger finds out about his 'glass episode' and god forbid that anyone gets less than 6 weeks for common assault... drink driving... tsk tsk tsk.

That's the politics of the biz GG... so much to DESPISE about them. Anyway... I'm OVER it.. Steelers will rally now with #10.. if they get off to a solid start without Ben... good on 'em. Adversity is a good thing. Fires everyone up.

Anyway, here's the full 'READING the RIOT ACT' story.

The Steelers being pinged $200k is something that will sting the Rooney's BIG TIME.. they'll obviously save a bunch of coin from not paying out his salary and furthermore, make Big Ben accountable for all the shenanigans that fatal evening. I'm anticipating the Steelers will seek to have him TRADED before the season is done & dusted.. even during the Draft perhaps. Whether that includes selections in the 2011 draft... who knows.. but Dennis Dixon has a chance to LEAD this team in 2010.. it's his job to lose. I wish him well. Steelers reputation will consolidate back to it's known for. Integrity. Until last night... I was quite apprehensive about having NO Big Ben play for the Steelers in 2010...now it's quite the case of coming to terms that 'starting over' with #10 (Dennis Dixon's new number) behind centre and watch the the Steelers become a force again. Life goes on.

The chapter of the Big Ben era in da 'Burgh is dawning to a close. Dissappointed as I care to be.. I'm a Steeler fan first & foremost. Championships can still be won...just gonna be a HUGE team effort now. Time to be PROUD of the Steelers once again... Steeler Nation will appreciate it also in the long run. So I'm trying to work out why Michael Vick is allowed to play in the NFL again.. Big Ben = no charges but Michael Vick is convicted...a Dog Killer.. yet embraced and welcomed back to play and earn real coin.. Goodell is a hypocrite.

Mate - when we spoke about this a few weeks back this is what I feared. I loved your optimism then but unfortunately it was misplaced.

Where do our Steelers go from here? I think they trade him, and wont get much more than 70 cents in the dollar. There are a few fanbases you just cant afford to get on the wrong side of, and Pittsburgh is definitely one of them.

As for the punishment, I thought it might get 4 games and no doubt Ben will be on his best behaviour to get it reduced to that. Obviously people dont know what really happened, and it seems like at best it isnt good and at worst is against the law. But the thing that annoys me (apart from him being an idiot and making horrible decisions) is that people assume the worst when if it was definitely the worst he would have been charged.

As the father of 2 including a girl, if she was ever raped (god forbid) there is no way charges wouldnt be laid.

Getting back to the possible trade of Ben, I just wonder who is prepared to take the risk and pay the price. On tenderhooks....

Mate - when we spoke about this a few weeks back this is what I feared. I loved your optimism then but unfortunately it was misplaced.

Where do our Steelers go from here? I think they trade him, and wont get much more than 70 cents in the dollar. There are a few fanbases you just cant afford to get on the wrong side of, and Pittsburgh is definitely one of them.

As for the punishment, I thought it might get 4 games and no doubt Ben will be on his best behaviour to get it reduced to that. Obviously people dont know what really happened, and it seems like at best it isnt good and at worst is against the law. But the thing that annoys me (apart from him being an idiot and making horrible decisions) is that people assume the worst when if it was definitely the worst he would have been charged.

As the father of 2 including a girl, if she was ever raped (god forbid) there is no way charges wouldnt be laid.

Getting back to the possible trade of Ben, I just wonder who is prepared to take the risk and pay the price. On tenderhooks....

Facts don't lie.. to say that it was ever considered 'rape' is why he was never charged let alone had a warrant for his arrest. I've got a strong feeling that the Steelers front office will give Ben every the chance to respond in the TRUE Steeler spirit and REPAY the faith. In short...he has the runs on the board and no charge to answer. I like how the Rooney's press conference went... no panic stations talk unlike the media doing cartwheels, banging on pots & pans and making everything look like a Freakshow circus carnival.

No tenderhooks required.. the Rooney's have the Ironfist and will steam press the creases out of this latest fiasco. :p

I am quite pleased to announce that the Rooney's have announced that Big Ben is staying PUT!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

source: Post-Gazette

So hose down all the ESPN propaganda.. starting to dislike the media.. what a bunch of PARASITE douche bags.. :thumbsdown:

I am quite pleased to announce that the Rooney's have announced that Big Ben is staying PUT!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

source: Post-Gazette

So hose down all the ESPN propaganda.. starting to dislike the media.. what a bunch of PARASITE douche bags.. :thumbsdown:
I would be disappointed if Rooney came out and said 'Yes we are trading BB'. What value would that be to the team? It means other teams can try to short change them and if they don't get anything going, BB loses all confidence in the team. I doubt anything will happen now after the draft, but to suggest Rooney talking is a definitive answer to the question is fallacious.

I would be disappointed if Rooney came out and said 'Yes we are trading BB'. What value would that be to the team? It means other teams can try to short change them and if they don't get anything going, BB loses all confidence in the team. I doubt anything will happen now after the draft, but to suggest Rooney talking is a definitive answer to the question is fallacious.

I agree to your comment Z but to say 'fallacious' is just putting a kink in the whole drama.

I'm quite comfortable to hear it from the horses mouth rather than getting it aired thru the press...even the Pittsburgh press were second guessing at some stage. Y'now that the 4-6 week suspension may have been the blessing in disguise to deter other teams pouncing with such offers (if that was the case).

Adam Schefter is quite possibly Mr NFL Media credibility!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back