NFL 2023 - Pre-Draft Discussion and Mock Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Colts GM Chris Ballard told reporters that he'll do "whatever it takes" to trade up in the draft if there's a quarterback the Colts really want.​

Good Degrassi reference, Chris. Unrevealed is whether or not the Colts actually like any of these quarterbacks enough to move up from No. 4 to No. 1 (or possibly to No. 3, assuming the Texans are taking a quarterback at No. 2), and which quarterback that would be if so. The Colts have taken on an aura of desperation over the past year, with Jim Irsay micromanaging the organization's decisions, and it is well within reason that they'll trade up to No. 1 to try to settle a position that has been rough sledding since Andrew Luck retired.

Bears general manager Ryan Poles did not rule out taking a quarterback with the first overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Poles named Justin Fields the team's 2023 starter before saying he would take a quarterback in the draft if he were "absolutely blown away" by the prospect. It would be stunning if the Bears moved on from Fields after he flashed great potential in a horrid Chicago offense this season, nearly setting the NFL record for quarterback rushing yardage. Poles said Fields -- who was 28th in completion rate over expected in 2022 -- "has to get better as a passer." The Bears would do well to use their massive draft capital to upgrade Fields' pass-catching group or his porous offensive line.

Georgia DL Jalen Carter declared for the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Carter, a locked-in top-5 pick, announced he's going pro hours after the Bulldogs thrashed TCU in the National Championship game. Carter was a dominant force throughout his time at Georgia, destroying opposing rushing attacks and recording six sacks over his final two seasons. In 2022, Pro Football Focus graded Carter as the nation's third best run stopping defensive lineman and the 13th best pass rushing lineman. He would be a no-brainer pick for many of the teams picking early in the 2023 draft.

Poles clearly fishing for trade offers

Id guess the same as you, cant see it, but you never know given this regime didnt draft Fields. What could they get for Fields in a trade?

Id guess the same as you, cant see it, but you never know given this regime didnt draft Fields. What could they get for Fields in a trade?
Probably a 1st still. 1st and 3rd. Exchange of mid/late rounders. Hes not a Darnold/Mayfield type kind of washed up. Just year two. He's got lots of talent and for a stretch there he looked like he had taken the next step. I am sure a good OC/HC sees that and feels they can get him to that next level.

Lamar traded somewhere, compo on traded for Fields (Ravens get to keep their high school offense that they love) , Bears take a QB.

Done deal :)

Lamar traded somewhere, compo on traded for Fields (Ravens get to keep their high school offense that they love) , Bears take a QB.

Done deal :)
After last seasons QB musical chairs no one could say never or no way again.

If Lamar goes it would be Dolphins imo. Especially if Brady/Payton at Miami doesn't happen. Seems unlikely now with McDaniel making the playoffs, but they might need a QB if Tagovailoa's concussion health is such a concern, family urging him to retire, say.

After last seasons QB musical chairs no one could say never or no way again.

If Lamar goes it would be Dolphins imo. Especially if Brady/Payton at Miami doesn't happen. Seems unlikely now with McDaniel making the playoffs, but they might need a QB if Tagovailoa's concussion health is such a concern, family urging him to retire, say.

I cant see the Dolphins being an option with no first. They'd have to trade numerous players to get enough draft compo to satisfy a trade.

The Chubb trade by the Dolphins was really bad in hindsight. One they would regret I reckon.
If he goes ballistic in the playoffs, and we win a couple games or the whole thing (lol), then it would be worth it. Like Rams trading picks for key players for a title run, the Dolphins did something of the sort with Hill and Chubb...going for it this season. But as of now he's done nothing, so yeah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance CJ Stroud goes pick one?

Strong season and was fantastic against basically NFL caliber players on Georgia's defense. From a QB view he threw 4 TDs and even lead a drive to win his team the game (unlucky kicking blunder to not see the fruit)

Strong arm, good size, reads defenses well. Need some improvement in accuracy, but feel that will improve with coaching.

Rick Speilman (former Vikings GM) gives his top 5 QB grades in the last 5 years.​

Thought this was especially interesting because he included this years class.
Full clip below if you are interested, but here is the list:
  1. Trevor Lawrence
  2. Burrow
  3. Herbert
  4. Bryce Young
  5. Tua
(Mentioned if he was going further, CJ Stroud would be 6)

I have heard this being referred to as a “weak” QB class but 2 of the top 6 at least in one GMs opinion seems quite strong.

Full Clip:

Any chance CJ Stroud goes pick one?

Strong season and was fantastic against basically NFL caliber players on Georgia's defense. From a QB view he threw 4 TDs and even lead a drive to win his team the game (unlucky kicking blunder to not see the fruit)

Strong arm, good size, reads defenses well. Need some improvement in accuracy, but feel that will improve with coaching.

I have Stroud as my top qb in this draft.
Young’s height and size scares the crap out of me. His closer to 5’10 than 6 foot plus his listed at 194 lb I reckon way lighter than that maybe 180ish so I have him ranked 3 on my qb board with Levis at 2.

Starting to get really worried players have to declare by 16th of jan to enter NFL draft its only 3 days away and CJ Stroud has yet to declare.

Could the unthinkable happen and he does an Andrew Luck and go back to school for another year and shot at national title.

Starting to get really worried players have to declare by 16th of jan to enter NFL draft its only 3 days away and CJ Stroud has yet to declare.

Could the unthinkable happen and he does an Andrew Luck and go back to school for another year and shot at national title.

You'd have to be a moron to stay when your draft stock is as a top 5 pick.

A lot could change for the worse by the end of the year if you play another season in college, meanwhile you'll still be a top 5 pick like you are now if everything goes right. Zero upside returning.

I think it's because OSU are trying to stagger their draft announcements.

I think it's because OSU are trying to stagger their draft announcements.

There are rumours his got a NIL deal if he returns to college on offer. up to 5 mil is the rumour which could make it harder decision to make.

Constantgin's Pre Combine Rankings

QB's
1. CJ Stroud
2. Will Levis
3. Bryce Young
4. Anthony Richardson
5. Tanner McGee

RB's
1. Bijan Robinson
2. Jahmyr Gibbs
3. Zach Evans
4. Tank Bigsby