NFL 2023 - NFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

For every Eddie there is a Chicago Bears dumpster fire at kicker as happened the season immediately after letting Gould walk.

Probably cost them at least 3 games that season.

I still have nightmares about Blair Walsh.

For every Eddie there is a Chicago Bears dumpster fire at kicker as happened the season immediately after letting Gould walk.

Probably cost them at least 3 games that season.

Not denying that, my point is its a crapshoot just like any other position, but the other positions are far more important.

Would be an interesting investigation, seeing where the better kickers in the league come from.

the fact you got Gould off waivers kind of proves my point also. Teams looking to get cheaper at kicker thru draft picks and it usually backfires.

Not denying that, my point is its a crapshoot just like any other position, but the other positions are far more important.

Would be an interesting investigation, seeing where the better kickers in the league come from.

True this...49ers could afford to pay overs to solve a known problem....better not to have kicker duties fester into preseason.

We have enough to worry about at qb.

Most successful kickers currently and historically are undrafted...but that makes sense, an even bigger percentage go undrafted.

Thats only because you seldom get a couple kickers/punters drafted at all. So the majority naturally will end up being undrafted

So again, what's the point of drafting one in the third round? They'd have to give you an extraordinary return given the majority of good ones in the league are undrafted.

Not to mention getting to see a Geno that seems more of a fit in the offence than Russ ever did. It was always build the offence around Russ whereas now Geno fits what Carroll and Waldron want to do.

If you could guarantee that your kicker was going to be in the top 5-10 most accurate every season and that he would consistently make kicks in clutch situations then they would be worth a day 2 pick.

The problem is that you can't, and that volatility in accuracy leads teams to be able to sign one for relatively cheaply on the FA market. Just look at the 10 most accurate kickers from last season and you can see this - I quickly went through them and I think only 3 of them had only ever played for one team and only one of those was a draft pick (Tyler Bass from the Bills, who was a 6th round pick).

I think I'd much rather try some out as college UDFAs or sign a cheap veteran until I found one that was good enough, and then I would pay them the $3-4m per year that seems to be the going rate for a decent kicker than trying to save ~$2m a year by having that kicker be a draft pick.

So again, what's the point of drafting one in the third round? They'd have to give you an extraordinary return given the majority of good ones in the league are undrafted.

Simply put, the 49ers took champagne to a beer party. They could afford to pay overs for the guy they wanted rather than risk waiting til later or hoping a good kicker signed with them as a udfa.

Of course they overpaid but relative to their other roster needs they could afford to splash.

Simply put, the 49ers took champagne to a beer party. They could afford to pay overs for the guy they wanted rather than risk waiting til later or hoping a good kicker signed with them as a udfa.

Of course they overpaid but relative to their other roster needs they could afford to splash.

Nobody likes champagne.

You already had a good kicker. Zane Gonzalez will beat out your 3rd round pick. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like eagles basically just scouted Georgia at this point.

Pats take a kicker. I don't know a lot about their roster but I would have thought they have other needs.

We do indeed need one .............. however I would have not thought this early and FFS have traded up to get him ....... 🤦‍♂️.

Just Bill being Bill.

I'm bloody Stoked that the Rams took Stetson Bennett. I ******* love Stet and think he will be a great backup and if given a chance he will surprise a lot of people.

Its off the field I am worried about Bennett. LA not the best city for him.

Its off the field I am worried about Bennett. LA not the best city for him.

His off the field is fine. It was one incident where he just got a bit drunk and decided to see if he could find any TCU players since they didn't show up to SoFi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back