Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where to put this, but I thought this was an EXCELLENT piece by Joey and Sexton.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-03-30/engine-room-nab-challenge

You have to think that Lonie is a cert to be picked (that effort against the Hawks - I remember we were all talking about that...), and that Sink is going to be elevated pretty darn soon, if not play Round 1.

If they continue to do this throughout the season I'll buy two memberships next year. Love it. It's exactly what clubs should be doing.

Not sure where to put this, but I thought this was an EXCELLENT piece by Joey and Sexton.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-03-30/engine-room-nab-challenge

You have to think that Lonie is a cert to be picked (that effort against the Hawks - I remember we were all talking about that...), and that Sink is going to be elevated pretty darn soon, if not play Round 1.

Such a brilliant idea. Very, very impressed with the media department over the last couple of months. It has improved dramatically even from last year.

Glad they brought up lonie's 5 effort play there. I was sitting right on that wing and it was fantastic to watch live. Got himself applause from the crowd at his next rotation for it.

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I've been posting my best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board over the summer. Would love to get your thoughts on St. Kilda's BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but the best available.

Good luck in 2015 to the Sainters

FULL BACKS: Sean Dempster ~ Luke Delaney ~ Jimmy Webster
HALF BACKS: Jarryn Geary ~ Sam Fisher ~ Shane Savage

MIDFIELDERS:
Leigh Montagna ~ David Armitage ~ Jack Newnes
FOLLOWERS: Tom Hickey ~ Luke Dunstan ~ Jack Steven

HALF FORWARDS:
Eli Templeton ~ Nick Riewoldt ~ Jack Billings
FULL FORWARDS: Ahmed Saad ~ Tim Membrey ~ Josh Bruce

INTERCHANGE: Farren Ray ~ Mav Weller ~ Sam Gilbert
SUB: Blake Acres

• In the back line Jarryn Geary is a massive in IMO. Not just his play but his leadership in defence is crucial. Was a player that St. Kilda missed in the back half during 2014 and when fit would be a best 22 lock for me
  • I've given Jimmy Webster first use of the left footers back pocket. A fit and firing Sam Gilbert is a challenger in that LBP role however a in form Webster could allow Gilbert to play higher up the ground in a running outside wing/ HF role.
  • The best midfield of 2014 changes with Hayes retired but I think you've got a ripping midfielder in Luke Dunstan. Dunstan had his first season cut short but from an outsiders perspective I thought he was really good and hard at it when he played. Think he'll become a favourite of mine in the years to come for his willingness to play hard and impact a contest.
  • Welcome back Ahmed Saad to the forward line. Safe to say the Saints missed him while he was suspensed and I'm sure he'll be welcomed back as an AFL regular.
  • Membrey's a different type of FF. Different to the number 1 pick Paddy McCartin. I see Membrey more as a Jack Darling type KPF than a real power forward. Deserves his chances early and hopefully can push higher up the ground to a leading HF role if his tank improves.
  • Josh Bruce is my tall forward/ second ruck. His a big lad who probably isn't suited to a ruck role but as a versatile second man he brings something different to the team. Can play tall defence as well.
  • Farren Ray won't be part of the 22 initially through injury but I'm sure he'll work his way into the best team. Kind of has to in a way as another experienced midfielder and big game player with St. Kilda.

For one, Seb Ross was a total lock to be in our side from the start of the season until he pinged his hammy in the NAB. Was in terrific form and the one I was hearing the club were most expecting to have a big break-out year, after a big preseason. He was the straight swap for Lenny. Him in for Acres at this stage. The fact that Acres isn't in the team or even squad this week when none of Billings, Webster, Wright or Ray were available suggests that he is a bit back in the pecking order just at this stage- although that could change pretty quickly if he finds his feet quickly at VFL level.

Hard to fault the rest of it, although I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Lonie was now ahead of Templeton, as he already looks like he may get more of the pill and be just as damaging with it.

For one, Seb Ross was a total lock to be in our side from the start of the season until he pinged his hammy in the NAB. Was in terrific form and the one I was hearing the club were most expecting to have a big break-out year, after a big preseason. He was the straight swap for Lenny. Him in for Acres at this stage. The fact that Acres isn't in the team or even squad this week when none of Billings, Webster, Wright or Ray were available suggests that he is a bit back in the pecking order just at this stage- although that could change pretty quickly if he finds his feet quickly at VFL level.

Hard to fault the rest of it, although I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Lonie was now ahead of Templeton, as he already looks like he may get more of the pill and be just as damaging with it.

Thanks for the feedback aussierulesrules

Lonie's a beauty isn't he. He was on my list of wanted players out of the 2014 draft. He's still on the skinny side a bit for me but Templeton was the same when he debuted last year. Looks to be a very lively and buy player inside 50 and if I read correctly will debut this weekend. Good luck to the kid.

Good luck to your boys in 2015 just go easy on West Coast in Round 8 :footy:

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I've been posting my best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board over the summer. Would love to get your thoughts on St. Kilda's BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but the best available.

FULL BACKS: Sean Dempster ~ Luke Delaney ~ Jimmy Webster
HALF BACKS: Jarryn Geary ~ Sam Fisher ~ Shane Savage

MIDFIELDERS:
Leigh Montagna ~ David Armitage ~ Jack Newnes
FOLLOWERS: Tom Hickey ~ Luke Dunstan ~ Jack Steven

HALF FORWARDS:
Eli Templeton ~ Nick Riewoldt ~ Jack Billings
FULL FORWARDS: Ahmed Saad ~ Tim Membrey ~ Josh Bruce

INTERCHANGE: Farren Ray ~ Mav Weller ~ Sam Gilbert
SUB: Blake Acres

• In the back line Jarryn Geary is a massive in IMO. Not just his play but his leadership in defence is crucial. Was a player that St. Kilda missed in the back half during 2014 and when fit would be a best 22 lock for me
  • I've given Jimmy Webster first use of the left footers back pocket. A fit and firing Sam Gilbert is a challenger in that LBP role however a in form Webster could allow Gilbert to play higher up the ground in a running outside wing/ HF role.
  • The best midfield of 2014 changes with Hayes retired but I think you've got a ripping midfielder in Luke Dunstan. Dunstan had his first season cut short but from an outsiders perspective I thought he was really good and hard at it when he played. Think he'll become a favourite of mine in the years to come for his willingness to play hard and impact a contest.
  • Welcome back Ahmed Saad to the forward line. Safe to say the Saints missed him while he was suspensed and I'm sure he'll be welcomed back as an AFL regular.
  • Membrey's a different type of FF. Different to the number 1 pick Paddy McCartin. I see Membrey more as a Jack Darling type KPF than a real power forward. Deserves his chances early and hopefully can push higher up the ground to a leading HF role if his tank improves.
  • Josh Bruce is my tall forward/ second ruck. His a big lad who probably isn't suited to a ruck role but as a versatile second man he brings something different to the team. Can play tall defence as well.
  • Farren Ray won't be part of the 22 initially through injury but I'm sure he'll work his way into the best team. Kind of has to in a way as another experienced midfielder and big game player with St. Kilda.

good effort mate. its really hard to put a 22 down for us, mainly because of our injuries and how raw some are.

only thing i'd add to your list is that lonie should be best 22. seb ross probably would have been a lock as well prior to getting injured. our biggest issue is that we are stacking the side with slow inside mids atm, but i think this will correct its self over time

Hey guys.

Well done. You are more knowledgeable than at least 80% of AFL "journalists."

Thanks for the feedback aussierulesrules

Lonie's a beauty isn't he. He was on my list of wanted players out of the 2014 draft. He's still on the skinny side a bit for me but Templeton was the same when he debuted last year. Looks to be a very lively and buy player inside 50 and if I read correctly will debut this weekend. Good luck to the kid.

Good luck to your boys in 2015 just go easy on West Coast in Round 8 :footy:
Bad luck for your boys tonight. I see Cripps kicked 5. He certainly knows how to find the goals.

One possibly interesting thing of note is that the Saints 22 this week has 8 players who have been on a Rookie list at some stage.
Saad, Schneider, Sinclair, Templeton, Weller, Shenton, Geary, Delaney.

Bad luck for your boys tonight. I see Cripps kicked 5. He certainly knows how to find the goals.

One possibly interesting thing of note is that the Saints 22 this week has 8 players who have been on a Rookie list at some stage.

I don't want to sound like I'm dancing on a grave but WCE turned down a kings ransom for Mitch Brown. They have a very shaky defence now, I had them challenging for a finals spot. Can't see how they could now.

Thanks sonny. Crippa was good last night. Promised a lot so far but never delivered like that

I don't want to sound like I'm dancing on a grave but WCE turned down a kings ransom for Mitch Brown. They have a very shaky defence now, I had them challenging for a finals spot. Can't see how they could now.

The grave isn't even set yet and your dancing on it :D i know you guys chased Mitch Brown hard and fair enough to, Even with the possibility of a season ending ACL I'm stoked that he is still at the club.

Mitch is a player I've always had a keen interest in watching, even during his LTIs and time spent in the 2s. I was a strong believer that he would be very capable in the last line of defence but it's not to be this year it seems.

Our back line looks in more trouble than the early settlers but there were signs of promise last night. Certainly not there fault that we lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be good to BUMP this thread, and revisit the discussion.

We are not far from having a fully fit list, and some unforeseen success stories have arisen since, especially Lonie and Sincs.

So, what is NOW our best 22?

Dempster Delaney Geary
Roberton Fisher Savage
Newnes Dunstan Montagna
Schneider Riewoldt Billings
Lonie Bruce Hickey
Longer Armitage Steven
Weller Sinclair Webster McKenzie

Dempster Delaney Geary
Roberton Fisher Savage
Newnes Dunstan Montagna
Lonie Bruce Hickey
Longer Armitage Steven
Acres couldn't get in, Cap?

Good to see someone recognise Lonie's efforts since Dermo and co were busy gushing over Hawthorne when it was being called. Love that Lonie and Sinclair are looking the goods so early while we've still got the bigger name draftees Goddard, McCartin and McKenzie developing in the ranks. If we can get 4-5 genuinely gifted contributors from one draft haul that would be a hell of a thing.

I was claiming Lonie is almost one our most important players already. His pressure is outstanding especially for a kid.

Dempster Delaney Geary
Roberton Fisher Savage
Newnes Dunstan Montagna
Lonie Bruce Hickey
Longer Armitage Steven
Dempster Delaney Geary
Roberton Fisher Savage
Newnes Dunstan Montagna
Lonie Bruce Hickey
Longer Armitage Steven
Weller Ross Webster Sinclair

Ross in for D-Mac and Sinclair to get the vest.

Dempster Delaney Geary
Roberton Fisher Savage
Newnes Dunstan Montagna
Lonie Bruce Hickey
Longer Armitage Steven
Weller Ross Webster Sinclair

Ross in for D-Mac and Sinclair to get the vest.
If that's the firsts, this might be the seconds .....

Wright Lee Gilbert
Shenton Goddard McKenzie
Markworth Ray Acres
Minchington White Templeton
Membrey McCartin Saad
Holmes Curren Saunders
Murdoch Simpkin Siposs Payne
.... Pierce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back