Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that note I wonder if Petterd could still get a game here
He looked like he could be a gun forward at one point now he is a vanilla as **** midfielder
Another one of our not big enough to be a KPP; not good enough to be a mid; not agile enough to play as a good small brigade like Bate, Strauss, Tappy etc. Also regularly in the rehab group for us meant he was never able to have more than half a season of good form.

McDonald is the same height as Frost for starters, plus we can't really afford to have another player who needs to work on his decision making down back.

Garlo and Dunn are experienced and have dependable skills.

I've only seen play once (against Ess last week), I wasn't impresses with his tackling technique, his reading of the play or his kicking. He looks very raw.

McDonald is the same height as Frost for starters, plus we can't really afford to have another player who needs to work on his decision making down back.

Garlo and Dunn are experienced and have dependable skills.
Have not rated Garland for over 12 months, just doesnt seem to have it atm, atleast Frost seems a bit dynamic, takes the game on.

My best line up if all fit, probably have Gawn or Peddo in for Dawes round 1, and would defiantly have Vandenberg in if any of Howe, Vince, Kent were out.
I would really like Howe back in forward line.

B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Sam Frost
HB: Jack Grimes, Lynden Dunn, Heritier Lumumba
C: Bernie Vince, Nathan Jones, Christian Salem
HF: Jack Watts, Chris Dawes, Jay Kennedy-Harris
F: Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan, Jeremy Howe
Foll: Mark Jamar, Dom Tyson, Jack Viney
I/C: Ben Newton, Daniel Cross, Dean Kent
Sub: Angus Brayshaw or VandenBerg
Eme: Jimmy Toumpas, Colin Garland, Aaron VandenBerg

Aside from the Petracca injury, touch wood we've had a reasonable preseason injury wise. Sure Vince and Howe haven't trained a whole lot, but they should be fine for round 1, and I don't think an inconsistent preseason affects a senior player as much as it would affect a younger player.

FB: Jetta McDonald Dunn
HB: Salem Frost Howe
C: Lumumba Jones Newton
HF: Vince Pedersen Kent
FF: Garlett Hogan Watts
Foll: Jamar Tyson Viney
I/C: Cross JKH Grimes
Sub: Michie
Emergency: Gawn Brayshaw Toumpas

Firstly, I didn't pick Vandenberg because I'm pretty sure we haven't elevated him and the deadline has past? Now onto the side.

Garland doesn't get in for me, he has been pretty damn average for 12 months now and he needs to show some good form at Casey before he is considered again, he doesn't get a game on reputation anymore after a crap 2014. Grimes is now droppable as he isn't captain, but he'll definitely be in the round 1 side. If he keeps the clangers to a minimum he is a pretty decent defender, but it is a big if. Salem has had a pretty good NAB Challenge and is a walk up start on his form, and Howe has generally trained with the defenders from memory in preseason so despite a lot of people wanting him forward I think he'll start 2015 in defence (And I still think that is his best position, put him up forward with our few inside 50s that miss targets anyway? He won't get more than 10 touches a game).

Newton I might be a bit bias as I rate him pretty highly, but I really think he should be in our best side. Lumumba has played quite a bit of midfield and I think he is better up the ground in our side rather than down back, gives him more opportunity to use his run and carry going inside 50, sure he isn't exactly a silky ball user but he is a 100m player and we have very few of those.

Forwardline is improving but still a bit iffy especially with Dawes out, I seriously think Pedersen will get pushed out this year as we are much too tall otherwise. Garlett is a proven goalkicker (We need this SO much), Vince is there as most teams start a midfielder at half forward and let them roam (We barely play 3 guys inside 50 let alone 6 anyway).

The best thing about this team? It doesn't have Bail/M Jones/Terlich/McKenzie. Yeah they'll get games throughout the season, but I'm pretty comfortable we will improve a reasonable amount on 2014.

Happy to debate any of this, I may have gone a bit far on Newton and Garland but interested to see what others think.

Aside from the Petracca injury, touch wood we've had a reasonable preseason injury wise. Sure Vince and Howe haven't trained a whole lot, but they should be fine for round 1, and I don't think an inconsistent preseason affects a senior player as much as it would affect a younger player.

Firstly, I didn't pick Vandenberg because I'm pretty sure we haven't elevated him and the deadline has past? Now onto the side.

Garland doesn't get in for me, he has been pretty damn average for 12 months now and he needs to show some good form at Casey before he is considered again, he doesn't get a game on reputation anymore after a crap 2014. Grimes is now droppable as he isn't captain, but he'll definitely be in the round 1 side. If he keeps the clangers to a minimum he is a pretty decent defender, but it is a big if. Salem has had a pretty good NAB Challenge and is a walk up start on his form, and Howe has generally trained with the defenders from memory in preseason so despite a lot of people wanting him forward I think he'll start 2015 in defence (And I still think that is his best position, put him up forward with our few inside 50s that miss targets anyway? He won't get more than 10 touches a game).

Newton I might be a bit bias as I rate him pretty highly, but I really think he should be in our best side. Lumumba has played quite a bit of midfield and I think he is better up the ground in our side rather than down back, gives him more opportunity to use his run and carry going inside 50, sure he isn't exactly a silky ball user but he is a 100m player and we have very few of those.

Forwardline is improving but still a bit iffy especially with Dawes out, I seriously think Pedersen will get pushed out this year as we are much too tall otherwise. Garlett is a proven goalkicker (We need this SO much), Vince is there as most teams start a midfielder at half forward and let them roam (We barely play 3 guys inside 50 let alone 6 anyway).

The best thing about this team? It doesn't have Bail/M Jones/Terlich/McKenzie. Yeah they'll get games throughout the season, but I'm pretty comfortable we will improve a reasonable amount on 2014.

Happy to debate any of this, I may have gone a bit far on Newton and Garland but interested to see what others think.
Looks good. However I agree with you about Grimes and would not have him in the team. Cross in the starting team and and Brayshaw as the Sub. I thought we had until almost the last day to do Rookie upgrades, I hope that is the case as I think VandenBerg will be a terrific player for us.

I like it.

I do think Garlo will play and Frost will be up forward to cover Dawes, with Pedo hopefully making way so we can cope with the Suns smalls a bit better.

Think Brayshaw and Toump still need to perform at Casey - in Brayshaw's case, if AFL practice matches mean nothing then why should VFL practice matches validate his selection chances?

I like it.

I do think Garlo will play and Frost will be up forward to cover Dawes, with Pedo hopefully making way so we can cope with the Suns smalls a bit better.

Think Brayshaw and Toump still need to perform at Casey - in Brayshaw's case, if AFL practice matches mean nothing then why should VFL practice matches validate his selection chances?

I dont see why Pedo wasnt used up forward instead of Frost, must really think his forward pressure is amazing
Pedo is a far better marker of the ball and ruckman

Toumpas didnt do enough for me in the NAB to justify selection, but he does deserve a solid run in one spot

I like it.

Nobody said practice matches mean nothing, the results of practice matches mean nothing.

He's put in excellent games and deserves a game in round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody said practice matches mean nothing, the results of practice matches mean nothing.

He's put in excellent games and deserves a game in round 1.

He hasn't even played a legitimate VFL game - if he tears it up for the next 3 weeks at VFL level then go for it.

I dont see why Pedo wasnt used up forward instead of Frost, must really think his forward pressure is amazing
Pedo is a far better marker of the ball and ruckman

Toumpas didnt do enough for me in the NAB to justify selection, but he does deserve a solid run in one spot

Agree on both mate, it seems Frost is all but locked in for that Round 1 spot.

Round 1 team

B- Jetta, Dunn, Garland
HB- Howe, McDonald, Grimes
C- Lumumba, N Jones, Vince
HF- Watts, Frost, Kent
F- Garlett, Hogan, JKH
FOLL- Jamar, Viney, Tyson
INT- Gawn, Salem, Cross
SUB- Toumpas

Is lamumba going to be a defender or a midfielder for you guys? I can see him racking up a few touches but doing the same old run his distance and is then like 'hey mum, look how far I can kick the football'. I'll be pretty impressed if you guys have taught him to lower his eyes

Fat Tony’s Team

B Garland, T McDonald, Jetta
HB Grimes, Dunn, Salem
C Vince, Cross, Lumumba
HF Watts, Hogan, Howe
F Vandenberg, Pedersen, Garlett
Fol Jamar, Tyson, N Jones
Int Brayshaw, Kennedy-Harris, Newton, M Jones

Emg Michie, Viney, Frost

Notes:

• I hope Roos goes relatively small and we play Pedersen as second ruck/forward over Frost or Gawn. This is based on him being a more natural and more mobile forward.
  • Brayshaw looked ready made when we drafted him and has been receiving glowing reports in the VFL. I have him over Viney.
  • N Jones to play head-to-head on Ablett if he plays in the midfield, otherwise Garland if he goes forward.
  • Vince to start with Bennell, Cross with Prestia and Tyson with Swallow.
  • Vince and Howe are in our best five players, so I would play them in the AFL if they are ready.
  • Garland was ordinary against Freo, but was better in the last two weeks. I think GCS will go with only two tall forwards, so we need to have players who are flexible enough to play small and tall. People have short memories and forget how good he was in 2013 and are pinging him on an injury riddled season last year.
  • I like Kent over Kennedy-Harris, but JKH was reportedly better performed last week.
  • I like what Vandenberg adds to the team.
  • The sub could be any of Vandenberg, M Jones, JKH, Brayshaw, Howe or Vince.
  • Demons by 9 points.

Fat Tony’s Team

B Garland, T McDonald, Jetta
HB Grimes, Dunn, Salem
C Vince, Cross, Lumumba
HF Watts, Hogan, Howe
F Vandenberg, Pedersen, Garlett
Fol Jamar, Tyson, N Jones
Int Brayshaw, Kennedy-Harris, Newton, M Jones

Emg Michie, Viney, Frost

Notes:

• I hope Roos goes relatively small and we play Pedersen as second ruck/forward over Frost or Gawn. This is based on him being a more natural and more mobile forward.
  • Brayshaw looked ready made when we drafted him and has been receiving glowing reports in the VFL. I have him over Viney.
  • N Jones to play head-to-head on Ablett if he plays in the midfield, otherwise Garland if he goes forward.
  • Vince to start with Bennell, Cross with Prestia and Tyson with Swallow.
  • Vince and Howe are in our best five players, so I would play them in the AFL if they are ready.
  • Garland was ordinary against Freo, but was better in the last two weeks. I think GCS will go with only two tall forwards, so we need to have players who are flexible enough to play small and tall. People have short memories and forget how good he was in 2013 and are pinging him on an injury riddled season last year.
  • I like Kent over Kennedy-Harris, but JKH was reportedly better performed last week.
  • I like what Vandenberg adds to the team.
  • The sub could be any of Vandenberg, M Jones, JKH, Brayshaw, Howe or Vince.
  • Demons by 9 points.

Bennell will destroy Vince , I'd only play him on him if they wanted a loose tag so Vince could be free

Jetta or grimes to Bennell, that kid can go forward and be deadly

Bennell will destroy Vince , I'd only play him on him if they wanted a loose tag so Vince could be free

Jetta or grimes to Bennell, that kid can go forward and be deadly
What makes you think Bennell is deadly? Not that 38 possie 4 goal game against us in 2012?

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Grimes McDonald Salem
HF: Kent Hogan Watts
FF: Garlett Gawn Frost
Foll: Jamar Tyson Cross
Int: Viney Vince Howe S: JKH
E: VandenBerg, Brayshaw, Pedersen

If Howe or Vince aren't fit then promote the first 2 emergencies. If Howe is sub then give JKH a run.

The backline is settled. Howe can play as a 7th defender in which part Lumumba plays more midfield or he can be the sub. Probably the best 5 mids pick themselves based on preseason and I'd rather go with Vince and Viney than any of Toumpas/Michie/Matt Jones. Not much between Watts, Kent, JKH and others (Bail, vandenBerg or the extra mids), really more of a gut call on who can hit the scoreboard.

I'd be tempted to go with just 1 ruck and Frost forward but Gold Coast are every chance to play 2 and we probably need 2 to go with Zac Smith anyway. Hard to have Hogan one out on debut as well. Gawn and Jamar have to do something forward. Frost has to get out of the way forward, playing as a small lead up covering Dawes' role. I think that's why he's in the side - his speed means he can get out of the way and we wont have 3 talls tripping over themselves as we might've with Pedersen. Pedersen will work well with Dawes and Hogan, but without Dawes we go Frost for speed and Gawn for height.

You've got 4 talls in the forward there mate. Drop one of Frost or Gawn.
Watts is a tall in height only. He's a drifting half forward flanker who might still play a bit of wing every now and then and certainly isn't a marking target. I still think we need 2 others to go alongside Hogan who can take a grab. That said I wouldn't be upset if we only play one of them, it's a really line ball call.

Would be amused if the game started with Watts at half-forward and Hogan at full-forward. Would just be a very interesting turn of events. If both those players played to potential they'd be such a dynamic pairing in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back