Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I think we need to play both Jamar and Gawn, Gawn needs to step up to take over Jamar, this means one of them will have to play forward when the other is in the ruck.

If we draft McCartin that could leave us with McCartin, Dawes, Hogan and a ruck man in our forward line, this is going to be too tall.

We will have Pederson able to give ruck chop outs though but I think we need Gawn to be playing most weeks from now on, this could mean Jamar doesn't get picked.

This year I think we need to play both Jamar and Gawn, Gawn needs to step up to take over Jamar, this means one of them will have to play forward when the other is in the ruck.

If we draft McCartin that could leave us with McCartin, Dawes, Hogan and a ruck man in our forward line, this is going to be too tall.

We will have Pederson able to give ruck chop outs though but I think we need Gawn to be playing most weeks from now on, this could mean Jamar doesn't get picked.
Hogan can play fairly small, Dawes is best used as a linkman pushing up the ground, and McCartin, who likely wouldn't play in the first half of the season, is actually fairly good at ground level roving the ball and kicking goals. Don't think height will be an issue. Kent, JKH and Garlett would be rotating through that forward line too, and I'd expect Lumumba to push Howe back to that medium forward role.

Hogan can play fairly small, Dawes is best used as a linkman pushing up the ground, and McCartin, who likely wouldn't play in the first half of the season, is actually fairly good at ground level roving the ball and kicking goals. Don't think height will be an issue. Kent, JKH and Garlett would be rotating through that forward line too, and I'd expect Lumumba to push Howe back to that medium forward role.
This is a familiar refrain, allow me me to disagree with it. All too often we have gone in far too top-heavy in either the forward or back line over the Neeld and Roos years. It never works, despite the insistence on selection nights that "Watts doesn't even play tall" "Howe is more a medium forward" "Garland and Dunn can comfotably play on smalls" "it's ok because we will have X and Y shitty makeshift small forwards to provide pressure" etc etc.

Maybe we're still compensating for the Bailey years of 5 medium HFFers and one small... if so we need to stop overdoing it.

I don't have the answer, because there are a lot of players to fit in there.

If indeed we draft McCartin, I don't expect to see him and Hogan in the same team next year provided Dawes is there.

This is how I see it:
HF: Watts ______ ______
FF: Garlett Dawes _______

Those are the definites (maybe not Garlett but I'll back him in for now). Then another 4 positions (including bench) to be filled by the following:
Hogan, McCartin, Fitzpatrick
Pedersen, Howe
JKH, Kent, Bail, Salem, maybe Toumpas
Rotating midfielders, namely Vince, Brayshaw et al
Also add a ruckman to this list if both Jamar and Gawn are playing.

I'm just saying we need someone to be the back up ruckman, McCartin will be ready to go round 1, I know Dawes wont play round 1 but I would expect him, McCartin and Hogan to play a fair bit of footy in the same forward line, none of them should be the ruck relief though. There is no room to put Gawn in there and I think Gawn must play most games this year. This either means Jamar doesn't get selected and Pederson gives Gawn a chop out in the ruck.

As for Howe I think he must stay back, came 6th in the best and fairest so I don't see why we should take him out of that role, with Watts being the medium forward there isn't a spot for Howe up there. I think Grimes might be the one moving out and play a bit more in the middle.

Sorry mate but Hogan and McCartin are talls, unless they can rotate through the middle or play as a genuine small ( Milne, Betts etc) then our midfield will tire out too quickly

Thats why its such a blow losing trenners because he can go forward, kick 2 then go back into the middle

FB: Jetta - McDonald - Garland
HB: Dunn - Frost - Lumumba

C: Salem - Jones - Vince
Foll: Jamar - Tyson - Viney

HF: Watts - Hogan - Howe
FF: Garlett - Dawes - Wright

Inter: Cross - Tuompas - Grimes
Sub: Brayshaw

Most of those players have pretty high peaks and just need to confidence to reach their potential.

Tried Wright over McCartin for fun. Wright could slot right into the forward line taking 3rd tall defender and pitch hitting in the ruck.

Defence looks pretty solid with all players with either dash or long kicks.

McCartin probably wouldn't play most of the season, should we draft him.

Dawes and Hogan isn't enough, but when you throw Jamar/Gawn, Watts and Fitzpatrick into the equation it becomes too much.

I think this is one of the better set ups we've had in years if we get it right.

Howe Hogan Kent
Garlett Dawes Gawn

Kennedy-Harris

Fitzy will need a strong start at Casey, though he might play rd 1 with Dawes suspended.

Watts should play on the wing again.

FB: Jetta - McDonald - Garland
HB: Dunn - Frost - Lumumba

C: Salem - Jones - Vince
Foll: Jamar - Tyson - Viney

HF: Watts - Hogan - Howe
FF: Garlett - Dawes - Wright

Inter: Cross - Tuompas - Grimes
Sub: Brayshaw

Most of those players have pretty high peaks and just need to confidence to reach their potential.

Tried Wright over McCartin for fun. Wright could slot right into the forward line taking 3rd tall defender and pitch hitting in the ruck.

Defence looks pretty solid with all players with either dash or long kicks.
Still far to tall for the MCG like most teams posted so far. Ok for SCG. Need Kent and another runner (J K Harris ?) in there I feel.

I'm keen to draft McCartin if we can, but I doubt he will play more than 2-3 games (wouldn't be suprised if he played none) in his first year. Dawes, Pedo, Hogan and even Fitz are all ahead of him, obviously, and Roos would not throw a first year tall to the wolves, ever.

The reason JKH and Salem got games this year was because Roos used the sub rule, both those guys did muiltiple games as the sub before getting a full game. We can't do that with a player like McCartin. Next year will hopefully be the year we slowly add Hogan to the forward line, not Hogan and McCartin simultaneously, that's just crazy talk.

I'm keen to draft McCartin if we can, but I doubt he will play more than 2-3 games (wouldn't be suprised if he played none) in his first year. Dawes, Pedo, Hogan and even Fitz are all ahead of him, obviously, and Roos would not throw a first year tall to the wolves, ever.

The reason JKH and Salem got games this year was because Roos used the sub rule, both those guys did muiltiple games as the sub before getting a full game. We can't do that with a player like McCartin. Next year will hopefully be the year we slowly add Hogan to the forward line, not Hogan and McCartin simultaneously, that's just crazy talk.

McCartin will play games next year (not round 1), he's pretty advanced in terms of body development for a young KPF and I've got no doubt we will see him more than people think next year.

*Should we draft him*

McCartin will play games next year (not round 1), he's pretty advanced in terms of body development for a young KPF and I've got no doubt we will see him more than people think next year.

*Should we draft him*

Fair enough, we will see, the key point is as you say *should we draft him*. I think we can safely assume we will draft Brayshaw, McCartin is probable, but not a lock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCartin will play , hogan won't play 22 games and Dawes isn't that good ( and suspended)

Watts will play in the midfield and Pedo will be a roaming tall I reckon

McCartin could well play 10+ games especially considering injuries
Chip played forward all year and Jamar may not even play out the year

Still far to tall for the MCG like most teams posted so far. Ok for SCG. Need Kent and another runner (J K Harris ?) in there I feel.
Most of the talls are either excellent kicks or have the ability to play small. Excluding a couple of key posts. Example Howe and Watts are pretty quick. And Grimes doesn't play tall that often.

Hogan won't be the number 1 forward next year mate
If I was the opposition coach I wouldn't be putting the number 1 defender on Dawes.

Yes he will, he will cop the best defender.

And that really sucks for us, most young key forwards come up against the 2nd or 3rd best tall defender. Hogan is going to be up against it from the get go, steep learning curve.

And that really sucks for us, most young key forwards come up against the 2nd or 3rd best tall defender. Hogan is going to be up against it from the get go, steep learning curve.
It'll be a learning curve for the defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back