Autopsy Round 16: It’s like kissing your sister

Remove this Banner Ad

There were at least 2 clearly bad umpiring decisions against us. The most damaging was the dangerous tackle on Francis not being paid, which led to a goal. The other one didn't really matter, but was still annoying (Dangerfield late and high on Mills). I'm pretty sure there was also a high tackle not paid, but I forget the details. On their side, Dangerfield play-on call was arguably stiff.

However, it's ridiculous to argue that umpires cost us that game. We did that all by ourselves. Umpires had very little to do with it this time despite the lop sided free kick count.

Buddy has to come in for Amartey. I'll be annoyed if he doesn't. McLean can stay as the back up ruck.

I'll also be annoyed if McCartin misses again.

I am quite happy with what Melican has done since returning to the senior lineup. He has held his own and has done a lot of things right. I dare say, even if we do bring in a better defender, I would be happy to offer him another contract as he has proven to be a good depth player. I was convinced he would bomb out this season, but I am glad to be proven wrong.
Melican coming back is probably the one biggest reason Swans are playing better. He has been solid but the hole he has filled was gaping.

Interesting that the draw actually put us ahead of both Carlton and Richmond!

Shows that it was DEFINITELY better than a loss.

But behind GWS and more than a win outside the 8. The draw also makes our percentage advantage over most of our direct rivals not matter.

Still, it was definitely better than a loss. It keeps us in a holding pattern and means we can still probably afford to lose 2 of the remaining games, though it will be tight if we do.

A win would have catapulted us to 9th and one game off 6th. Amazingly, even top 4 wouldn’t have been out of sight with Melbourne losing. We let a huge opportunity get away. If we’d won, we would’ve been right amongst it. As it is, the 8 looks as unlikely as it did before the game.

Last edited:
Chad has pretty awful this year. I wasn’t fussed at all when they announced his omission. Defensively, you can assume that the opposition will kick two extra goals when he is in the side (such is his inability to tackle). If he is not kicking goals or hitting targets, he is a liability, albeit exciting to watch. Can’t wait for him to improve his defensive game.

1st for disposals, 2nd for Inside 50s, 3rd for clearances, 2nd for metres gained, 2nd for bounces, 1st for score involvements, 3rd for contested possessions.

Interestingly also leads guys like Stephens, Mills, Rowbottom, Parker & McInerney in rebound 50s, which indicates he is getting back to the defensive end as well.
And finally 4th for tackles.

I wish all our players were having such 'awful' years.

(All figures averages for the Swans).

It was the Correct call, you cannot just punch the ball 30m into the crowd if it's not a marking contest.

Melican showed his absence of game sense. Of course it was a free

Danger had a quiet game which was a big factor in us doing well in general play imo. Did we have anyone specific on him? Saw Heeney matched up on him in the CB later in the game where he wrapped up danger & created another stoppage for us.

Always a puzzle working the Coaches ' votes out. This one more than most.
I'd be interested in finding out which coach gave Miers 4 votes, and which gave Campbell his 4 votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play with tonight's intensity etc (i'll assume we can't kick for goal that poorly again)

we will beat Richmond, Bulldogs, Freo and Essendon imo
I don't think we will win any of them. I'm looking at the bigger picture and hoping we finish in the bottom 6 which will give us good draft options and more importantly an easier draw next year.

His overall ToG was about 70%. He looked like he was tiring in the 4th but was clearly still having a crack. I think he's still building his tank to become a 4 quarter player but I'm confident it's not far away.
McLean was the only other player to have less ToG than Sheldrick. That has been pretty much the case since coming back in (other than the WC game).
Imagine how good he can become once he's built a tank enabling him to stay on the ground for similar times to Gulden & Parker etc.

Beginning with the Lions game we are a better team but to walk away with a Loss, win, draw just isn't good enough but it's too much to do too late. Frustrating to see the opinion pieces on Close tackle on Francis. Forget the suspension part it doesn't matter there was no injury but focus on no free kick awarded like it has been in every match prior. It lead to a goal for them when it should have been a clearance kick for the Swans.

To control most of that match and still get pantsed by the free kick count is so indicative of the BS of the likes of Nicholls. He made sure they got the pressure release they needed numerous times and even took an umpire further away to call the holding on Sheldrick that Nicholls was right there watching and not paying.

But you knew early it was going to be one of those missed opportunity matches.

As much as it feels like Geelong come out of that match as somewhat victorious they blew their momentum and only look ay good as they started the match ahead on points. Pretty bad showing by them and proves that things can change after two big thumpings by them.

Gives a little hope for the years ahead at least.
There is no doubt that this competition should go back to being called the VFL. Almost every game I watch, and I watch most of them, the interstate teams get screwed by the umpires when playing against a Victorian club. The recent Melb/GWS game was ridiculous. A 25 to 10 free kick count only told half the story. The free kick differential goes against the interstate quite often even when they play at home. Brisbane and Fremantle are the exception to this rule.
However, when they play in Melbourne, you could count on one hand how often they win the count. This even applies when they are dominating the game.

We lost the game through inaccuracy and Hickey Heeney and Fox were the culprits.

This is where the game was lost, not through our defence.

People having a crack at melican or Francis are clutching at straws.
All the forwards should refuse to accept their player payments for last week and suggest it go to the mids and defenders instead. At the end of the day, forwards are paid to kick goals and they absolutely failed in that.

Taylor spent more time discussing his daisies than he did the game - he is seriously the most insulting, boorish, over-blown egotistical turd that 7 has ever employed - a complete disgrace.

It’s like being forced to watch a baboon pick its nose, eat it and then jerk off, all while laughing at you.
Couldn't agree more. Channel 7 has appointed a number of twats over the years but he is the worse.
In saying that though, I think Fox have made a huge blew in making Brown their number one man. He reminds me very much of BT.

All the forwards should refuse to accept their player payments for last week and suggest it go to the mids and defenders instead. At the end of the day, forwards are paid to kick goals and they absolutely failed in that.

I somewhat get Hickey misses even the best Rucks have issue with goal kicking (Gawn)

But my god the misses from Hayward, Fox(running into a open goal) and Heeney were just soul crushing.

Coaches Votes;

View attachment 1728169

FWIW I just happened to go to Zerohanger (four separate journos voting 5-1) and their top rated player on the ground was Tom Stewart, closely followed by Miers, with Parker our most highly rated.

View attachment 1728175
Wow, only Gulden and Blakey both received coaches votes. Everyone else only had one coach vote for them. Very different perspectives on the game, though to be fair they both made sure not to vote for any swans forwards!

1st for disposals, 2nd for Inside 50s, 3rd for clearances, 2nd for metres gained, 2nd for bounces, 1st for score involvements, 3rd for contested possessions.

Interestingly also leads guys like Stephens, Mills, Rowbottom, Parker & McInerney in rebound 50s, which indicates he is getting back to the defensive end as well.
And finally 4th for tackles.

I wish all our players were having such 'awful' years.

(All figures averages for the Swans).
Just thought he would go into overdrive this year and has regressed a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back