Round 17 - Sydney v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw Chris Judd take an overhead mark in the dying minutes of that game. The world is full of wonders.

Does more often than he's credited for.

images

Look through the rest of the thread well before any of that. I don't think you'll find its us that need to remove the chip.

In fact look through the first 25 posts of the thread and you'll already see 2 COLA references from Hawthorn posters.

Perhaps we stole their chip with our cola

Are the Swans the most joyless team in the AFL?

I went to Sydney-Port game a few weeks back and saw them beat the Power in front of a near full house at the SCG and was struck by the lack of atmosphere and passion among the crowd.

With all the marquee players the Swans have got and the benefits of the COLA that they enjoy, do Sydney theatregoer supporters just think they're a walk up start to win and is it all a bit boring and ho hum for them?

Is another Sydney flag necessarily a good thing for football? To me, it's got a rigged, contrived feel about it, a bit like the World Cup.
I wanna see the receipts.

I was at that game. The crowd went nuts.

I'll probably never really get over Buddy leaving Hawthorn. :(

But the irritation with the commentators has nothing to do with being buttthurt about Buddy leaving the Hawks, or CoLA, or the rivalry with Sydney, etc. It's just a never-ending source of facepalm for the Hawthorn fans to hear their former champion forward talked about as though he's been this useless spud since he kicked 113 goals in 2008.

The guy was All Australian CHF from 2010 to 2012

It makes me realise these commentators don't bother to watch any games they're not working on.
They are ignorant fools.
I feel your pain, Jon Ralphs little article on eddie betts was an absolute disgrace and he is probably having his 5th best season at best

The Bradman Stand, where I sat, must have been full of librarians and mime artists. A couple of Swans supporters told my 10 year old son to stop barracking for Port.

They just picked Mark Blake ahead of him in the Grand Final!

Until they were basically wiped out by the sub rule, The old 'second ruckman wants to be first ruckman so he moves club' was the most common player movement in the league.

The thing about those pick ups, is I'm not even saying that it was not wrong to think that. No one expected Josh Kennedy to be as good as he is. McGlynn hit a wall at Hawthorn, Mark Blake was getting picked above Mumford. Ted Richards couldn't get a game at Essendon. Shaw was a whipping boy at Collingwood.

What annoys me is the revisionist history to try and create the narrative that the Swans had always been going out and poaching gun players thanks to our COLA. It's stupid and completely ignores history. I can't think of a single (at the time) gun recruit we got from say, getting Nick Davis in 2002 to Tippett in 2013. A 32 year old Spider Everitt? A behind Jeff White Darren Jolly?
A lot of the players you got were either not getting a game or were moved on but from what Geelong supporters have said they were furious about Mumford leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What attracts your type to every swans thread? It's weird.

My type? Lol.

I come on and applaud Buddy and marvel at his ability and call out flogs who call him a down hill skier. Not sure why that offends you. That chip of yours doesn't even know why it's arguing with me.

Just like the Nick Davis semi-final vs Geelong in '05, or the Pre-lim in '96, or '99 when Lockett kicked his 1300th and the crowd stormed the field and mobbed the bloke..... No joy there either.

They just picked Mark Blake ahead of him in the Grand Final!

Of course, he was still developing at that stage and hadn't earned a GF spot, that doesn't mean they didn't want to keep him.

Hawthorn played Hale ahead of Ceglar in last year's Grand final, it didn't signal that they were throwing Ceglar away o_O.

It's a weak and pre-conceived argument to say that any player that either a) doesn't get more than a 1-year contract or b) doesn't get a Grand Final game in his second year, is seen by the club as surplus to needs.

No one expected Josh Kennedy to be as good as he is. McGlynn hit a wall at Hawthorn, Mark Blake was getting picked above Mumford. Ted Richards couldn't get a game at Essendon. Shaw was a whipping boy at Collingwood.

Ahem, I expected JK to be this good. Mark Blake was only getting picked ahead of Mumford in the early stages of his career. Ted Richards likewise was developing at Essendon.

The formula is simple. Pick up future star players from teams which have recently won a flag and are thus under cap pressure with help from salary cap concessions to outprice these clubs. Kennedy, Mumford, Richards, and so on. They all fit the bill.

And don't worry, if Hawthorn had a COLA I'd expect them to do the same.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't know because I don't frequently troll opposition threads.

It's a main board thread. Not a Swans board thread.

Hawks gameday threads are literally dominated by Swans and Cats actually trolling them about umpiring, Cyril being over rated etc etc...

If the interaction with Hawks in this thread is offensive to you guys, then I'd say that chip is well and truly there. It's like you blokes go out of your way to find something to be upset about.

The ignorance is all yours, games are decided by free kick tallies and endurance running not skill/class. The ability to play the sport is no longer a requirement for winning an AFL flag, just learn how to draw free kicks & run hard all day and you will win 9/10 games you play regardless of any other fact.

You're saying Buddy didnt show just a little bit of class in the second half?

The SCG when the crowd is fired up is the most deafening stadium in Australia. Its like smaller, more intimate version of the Mcg where the atmosphere is electric in big games. ANZ on the other hand...

It's a main board thread. Not a Swans board thread.

Hawks gameday threads are literally dominated by Swans and Cats actually trolling them about umpiring, Cyril being over rated etc etc...

If the interaction with Hawks in this thread is offensive to you guys, then I'd say that chip is well and truly there. It's like you blokes go out of your way to find something to be upset about.
I never said I was offended. Anyway... How about we both move on with life hey?

I'm never offended by you folk. It's amusing how every swans thread is overrun by offended hawthorn supporters.

So you have no evidence of offended from me that I asked for you to show? In fact you are simply ignoring the fact I've been cheering buddy on?

Chip, chip, chip. You're the one actually trolling this thread. We don't hate you....sorry if that offends you.

Sydney game day thread inhabited by offended hawks. again.

Offended is the default position.

I look at the team of the poster and skip them now.

About 3 posters worth reading from that lot, rest is just offence/cola rubbish.

And people complaining about a game that contained the highest scoring quarter by any side for the year is just nuts. Add that to a truly elite player in the game doing something NEVER done before since records were kept and you get a sense of or the mentality of ridiculous people wanting to complain instead of enjoying the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back