Autopsy Round 22 - vs Geelong @ Metricon Stadium - August 13th at 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was ok, had enough positives, geelong are the benchmark, so considering we are trying new things, and giving players chances, I'm not that worried.

Our starting 22 will look very different to yesterday's side.
Yeah Mac did OK again considering I saw him switching between Stengle and Cameron on occasions! He’ll learn a lot from that.
Elijah’s goal from 50 off one step was huge and despite a few errors he still looks like he is going to be all class.
Our backline was way out of sorts, lacked communication, cohesion, was too slow.
A few of the usual culprits still really worry me. If they are getting regular games next year either they need to improve immensely or we aren’t going anywhere.

One game to go makes little sense in dropping Rowell for a rest.
Let him play out the season and then get his body right for 2023 AND hopefully the coaching panel will 'free' him up next year from the bullocking 'Greenwood' style role he has been forced in to. Let him get back to that player we all saw in those three first games when he was loose and a threat across the ground. Waste of talent using him as the grunt player. If you must persist in playing Davies - give him that role, and play Rowell as a outer / inner mid player to supplement Miller and Anderson's much more attacking role. I'd forgotten Davies' poor game - why would we recruit an inside bull like Constable and not give him at least one game next week before it all wraps up for us again. Hollands proves that point I'd say. I'd give Constable a game for Davies, I'd play Moyles as a resting ruckman / forward and give Casboult the day off. He's been great but clearly done for 2022. Fiorini must be better than McPherson - so play him. Holman may be back in BUT he has to get more of the ball. Can only be a great team mate for so long before output gets looked at. Team selection will be very interesting this week. Rankine's shoulder injury may be just a 'keep it healthy' for 2023 and see him miss BUT still living in hope he'll stay.
Yeah, good points. I’d love for us to mix up our midfield rotations a bit more. We run with similar CBA all game. At least we ran Davies and Swallow through a bit. Think we could try resting Rowell or Noah forward at times and give others a crack.

Rowell is getting hammered and it shows. Definitely taken Greenwood’s spot. But doesn’t have the physical size yet.

Your comments on Holman echo my own thoughts. Tackle, sure, and be a presence. But if Sexton can’t get a game because he doesn’t tackle, then Holman should be dropped for lack of genuine impact in most games. Some flaws are more detrimental than others, apparently.

Would like to see a couple of changes. Not much to pick from though, unfortunately. Just the same revolving door of Flanders, MacPherson, Sharp, Atkins, Bowes, Fiorin. Round and round we go. We don’t have any defenders to fix that area of the ground.

Would love a mix-up forward of ball, especially if Rankine is out. We have a few options there.

Part of me wishes North wasn’t a must win game, because then I’d drop any player VFL eligible and try and make a bold play in the VFL finals. But AFL wins are a must to have any dignity to end the year…

Yes, I remembered this one. I re-watched it. Point by Dangerfield after siren at the end of 3rd QTR. Miscommunication between Graham and Andrew. Graham turned head to Mac, started blocking and expected Mac to go after it. It started with Elijah mis-kicking over Graham.

I had seen worse moments in the game, a lot of turnovers were shocking. At one moment, we had like 5-6 turnovers in a row. Usual culprits, but surprisingly Touk, who was otherwise great, had 4-5 bad ones too.
Yep that was right in front of us and was under 10 level error.

The complete lack of willingness to compete and go hard at the contest today was highly concerning. Not many wanted to win the hard ball.
Nearly always happens when you have a team playing for top spot on the ladder versus a team who the week before has just had any finals hopes dashed. Quite a few of our blokes look to had physically and mentally checked out. Not Touk, Wittsy and Spitta though.

I'd include Sam Collins in that list. He is under massive pressure with all the ineptness around him and did a lot of good hard things. For some reason though, he's not clucking those big marks like a year or so ago. The absolute backbone of our defence. You can hear him barking instructions all game from the stands. Lemmens? I'm still on the outer regarding him.
Some here were calling Lemmens a B+/A- defender after one half decent season a year or so back. Still C grade at best for me. OK when he has a full complement around him and can focus on one stopping task but he’s in too deep and panics when the pressure goes up and he doesn’t have the class around him to help out. Preferred him to DMac in defence though. What is Dew doing with that bloke? He’ll give him a run in the ruck next week if it means keeping him in the team.

Heard them mention on 'the round so far' that Ablett has offered to work with Rowell.
Should 100% take that up.
Would definitely take this on. The club and Ablett kind of left on bad terms and I think they both want to make amends.

Having Ablett come in for a few sessions during the pre season and work with Hollands, Rowell, Anderson and Davies will be great for there future.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would definitely take this on. The club and Ablett kind of left on bad terms and I think they both want to make amends.

Having Ablett come in for a few sessions during the pre season and work with Hollands, Rowell, Anderson and Davies will be great for there future.

I know a lot us were dirty with Gaz leaving us, but over time as the facts have emerged about his family and especially his little boy, and hearing the Coch, who knew the facts being fully supportive of Gaz, it would be fantastic to welcome him back into the fold. I feel privileged to have seen him play for my club when he was at his peak. One of the greatest footballers I’ve ever seen… yes even better than Touk…so far!!

My Spidey senses are tingling if one recalls Selwood's glowing appraisal of Buzz
I'd love to think this is Gaz at his best but let's hope he isn't a Trojan Horse for Geelong's recruiting Department eh
I know it sounds a bit paranoid but when you've been butt*ed by every other Club in the comp since our inception it just comes naturally

Has a few rough moments but we have to persist with playing Mac imo. He is already looking better and better each game and has an amazing amount of raw x factor for someone his size. I'd be playing him next year as well.

Could see him being a high possession intercepting KPD over time. Loves to take the game on and has speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could see him being a high possession intercepting KPD over time. Loves to take the game on and has speed.
Ballard was thrown to the wolves early and flourished. Mac is a better reader of the ball and has better hands than Chucky at the same age, I see no reason he doesn't flourish as well.

Just needs a bit more muscle and the kid is All Australian, great reader of the ball and great ball user.

Maker's expectations re: multiple MVP, hall of fame didn't exactly work out.
milwaukee bucks celebration GIF by NBA

He's now playing in china.
And he didn't put on that much muscle either :drunk:

My Spidey senses are tingling if one recalls Selwood's glowing appraisal of Buzz
I'd love to think this is Gaz at his best but let's hope he isn't a Trojan Horse for Geelong's recruiting Department eh
I know it sounds a bit paranoid but when you've been butt*ed by every other Club in the comp since our inception it just comes naturally

First thing that I thought as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back