Autopsy Round 22 - vs Geelong @ Metricon Stadium - August 13th at 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was the thankyou members photo…. Who is running this joint.. wouldnt you think ‘ ah we are playing the best team in the comp with a depleted team and a likely big loss coming up… lets get the players to take a photo with the members after the game … no idea!

How good was the thankyou members photo…. Who is running this joint.. wouldnt you think ‘ ah we are playing the best team in the comp with a depleted team and a likely big loss coming up… lets get the players to take a photo with the members after the game … no idea!
It's our last home game - we do it every year, don't we?

There are waaay too many short steppers in this team.

I can't see it being tolerated in any other club.

Luko,Sharpe Flanders and McPherson were soft as melted butter today. Disgraceful.

There was deliberate avoidance of body contact. That can't happen.

We made a brief comeback as it was player driven - not something Dew did

And Stuey - when your team is getting dicked and it's half time - DON'T GO TO THE CAMERAS FOR AN INTERVIEW FFS.....

There are waaay too many short steppers in this team.

I can't see it being tolerated in any other club.

Luko,Sharpe Flanders and McPherson were soft as melted butter today. Disgraceful.

There was deliberate avoidance of body contact. That can't happen.

We made a brief comeback as it was player driven - not something Dew did

And Stuey - when your team is getting dicked and it's half time - DON'T GO TO THE CAMERAS FOR AN INTERVIEW FFS.....
Some really embarrassing performances just sick of these soft non contests.
Very disappointed.

Some really embarrassing performances just sick of these soft non contests.
Very disappointed.

Just watched the first qtr of the blues and dees.

Was like 2 sets of gladiators going off to war..

Don’t see that kind of aggression and toughness in the team in red.

No one’s scared to come up against the Suns

Really need the season to finish so i an hear someone say that Rowell has been battling osteitis pubis all year. Surely he has been, visually it looks like it and you can't go from a ball magnet to barely touch it the way he has. I'll back him in to get through it as he is the ultimate professional but it's definetly worrying me.

It happens every year at the last home game since the existence of the club except for covid years obviously
Yep righto happy to admit I missed this one.. I haven't been in one of these pics since inception, I guess I get bitter by the end of the season.

Positives for me were Swallow, Farrar, Hollands few nice touches without being prolific, Lemmens when he went back... Touk far and away the best player we have ever had.

Lowlight was Darcy taking kick ins in from fullback. Rowell is spent, starting to worry me as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the ground it was clearly men against boys. Geelong should have beaten us by more but dropped down a few gears in the second half.

Even if we made finals next year we're at least 2-3 more years away from really pushing the top team in the comp. (Yes, Geelong were by far the best we've played this year).
We are still too young, under-developed, inexperienced, undersized, lacking skill under pressure and lacking cohesion as a team unit.
Geelong are are super well-drilled mature football team. Very impressive to watch.

I thought it was ok, had enough positives, geelong are the benchmark, so considering we are trying new things, and giving players chances, I'm not that worried.

Our starting 22 will look very different to yesterday's side.

I thought it was ok, had enough positives, geelong are the benchmark, so considering we are trying new things, and giving players chances, I'm not that worried.

Our starting 22 will look very different to yesterday's side.
I went to the game expecting nothing more than what I had to sit through.
I had made the comment that 60 points or less would be the acceptance' mark but it really shouldn't be. The game was over before the end of the 1st quarter - you just knew...and those few loyal supporters around me also knew!
I have said for years now a decent coach would have instilled some mongrel into all our 'nice' boys but the one we have just can't or won't do it. If Dew was a Vic team based coach, he would have been sent packing a year ago at least, if not longer. Worst decision made this year was to extend his contract. I live in hope we will beat NM next week but it's 50/50 at best given the deplorable state of our defence.

..and yet, on a positive note: King / Holman / Buderick / Ballard / Weller / Powell / Jeffery, would make a massive difference. No more Graham / McPherson / Flanders / and a few others I'm too depressed to mention. Mac Andrew looks like being a solid defender for us at least.

..and on a final note - did anyone else see that pathetic effort from Caleb Graham in the 3rd quarter I think. Ball kicked into the open towards the western wing - with Caleb the target. Ball set out in front of him - Caleb at full pace! - stops and looks sideways to try and block a player instead of just taking possession. Player avoids him and a goal results. That and Flanders efforts were the lowlights for me. Some of these guys wouldn't make some teams VFL sides.

..and Rankine was the only forward who actually gave 100% - he'll be missed.
Rant over until next week!

I went to the game expecting nothing more than what I had to sit through.
I had made the comment that 60 points or less would be the acceptance' mark but it really shouldn't be. The game was over before the end of the 1st quarter - you just knew...and those few loyal supporters around me also knew!
I have said for years now a decent coach would have instilled some mongrel into all our 'nice' boys but the one we have just can't or won't do it. If Dew was a Vic team based coach, he would have been sent packing a year ago at least, if not longer. Worst decision made this year was to extend his contract. I live in hope we will beat NM next week but it's 50/50 at best given the deplorable state of our defence.

..and yet, on a positive note: King / Holman / Buderick / Ballard / Weller / Powell / Jeffery, would make a massive difference. No more Graham / McPherson / Flanders / and a few others I'm too depressed to mention. Mac Andrew looks like being a solid defender for us at least.

..and on a final note - did anyone else see that pathetic effort from Caleb Graham in the 3rd quarter I think. Ball kicked into the open towards the western wing - with Caleb the target. Ball set out in front of him - Caleb at full pace! - stops and looks sideways to try and block a player instead of just taking possession. Player avoids him and a goal results. That and Flanders efforts were the lowlights for me. Some of these guys wouldn't make some teams VFL sides.

..and Rankine was the only forward who actually gave 100% - he'll be missed.
Rant over until next week!
I did see that. Man, the Graham extension for 4 years has made me angrier than Rankine leaving. I can accept why Rankine will leave ($$$, as much as it sucks) but I can’t and won’t accept why we re-signed Graham for so long.

Thought Mac was decent and can see more upside in him after 3 games than Graham after his far too many games. Few poor kicks, but the idea was right and took some good intercepts (not just spoiling or bowling over his own teammates like Graham). I can handle when players make a choice and it doesn’t quite work. Can’t handle when the kick is 30m away from where it should go under no pressure (Collins… though he was overall better this week).

And yeah… We were never winning that game. Look at Geelong’s forwards and our backs… our mids nearly halved the contest, but our forwards barely got a look in and their forwards (Dangerfield aside) were pretty potent early on and iced the game after 15 minutes.

Rosas was not clean at all. When him and Rankine chain up you can see the difference is class/experience there. Needs a bit more work. Rankine just has the instinct and reflexes.

Flanders did a couple of things late, but was dreadful. Davies similar. MacPherson is MacPherson doing MacPherson things; and thank god they moved him out of defence!

Touk, Witts and Anderson did well and tried to carry us. Swallow looks to have more pace about him this year too and is a much improved player all round.

Hollands was pretty good overall. He’s probably best 22 even when a few players come back.

Rowell is a worry though. His disposal numbers are going down, as is his time on ground. I want to believe he is carrying something that is reducing his output, but if so—why play him? Sadly, Fiorini would be an improvement right now. Or Bowes.

Like everyone else frustrated and disappointed in our last couple of weeks.
Never expected to beat Geelong they are a class above us.
What was annoying was possibly the worst match up i have seen in 60 years of following Afl at any level ,
Andrew on Stengle. How our so called brains trust thought that would work is beyond me.
Not fair on Andrew and not fair on the team.we basically gave them a 5 goal start. Game over.
Full marks to Miller Ellis Witts Anderson Rankin Lemmens Farrer Ainsworth Swallow who all battled manfully.
The rest gave us zero.
Hopefully some improvement next week.

I did see that. Man, the Graham extension for 4 years has made me angrier than Rankine leaving. I can accept why Rankine will leave ($$$, as much as it sucks) but I can’t and won’t accept why we re-signed Graham for so long.

Thought Mac was decent and can see more upside in him after 3 games than Graham after his far too many games. Few poor kicks, but the idea was right and took some good intercepts (not just spoiling or bowling over his own teammates like Graham). I can handle when players make a choice and it doesn’t quite work. Can’t handle when the kick is 30m away from where it should go under no pressure (Collins… though he was overall better this week).

And yeah… We were never winning that game. Look at Geelong’s forwards and our backs… our mids nearly halved the contest, but our forwards barely got a look in and their forwards (Dangerfield aside) were pretty potent early on and iced the game after 15 minutes.

Rosas was not clean at all. When him and Rankine chain up you can see the difference is class/experience there. Needs a bit more work. Rankine just has the instinct and reflexes.

Flanders did a couple of things late, but was dreadful. Davies similar. MacPherson is MacPherson doing MacPherson things; and thank god they moved him out of defence!

Touk, Witts and Anderson did well and tried to carry us. Swallow looks to have more pace about him this year too and is a much improved player all round.

Hollands was pretty good overall. He’s probably best 22 even when a few players come back.

Rowell is a worry though. His disposal numbers are going down, as is his time on ground. I want to believe he is carrying something that is reducing his output, but if so—why play him? Sadly, Fiorini would be an improvement right now. Or Bowes.
One game to go makes little sense in dropping Rowell for a rest.
Let him play out the season and then get his body right for 2023 AND hopefully the coaching panel will 'free' him up next year from the bullocking 'Greenwood' style role he has been forced in to. Let him get back to that player we all saw in those three first games when he was loose and a threat across the ground. Waste of talent using him as the grunt player. If you must persist in playing Davies - give him that role, and play Rowell as a outer / inner mid player to supplement Miller and Anderson's much more attacking role. I'd forgotten Davies' poor game - why would we recruit an inside bull like Constable and not give him at least one game next week before it all wraps up for us again. Hollands proves that point I'd say. I'd give Constable a game for Davies, I'd play Moyles as a resting ruckman / forward and give Casboult the day off. He's been great but clearly done for 2022. Fiorini must be better than McPherson - so play him. Holman may be back in BUT he has to get more of the ball. Can only be a great team mate for so long before output gets looked at. Team selection will be very interesting this week. Rankine's shoulder injury may be just a 'keep it healthy' for 2023 and see him miss BUT still living in hope he'll stay.

did anyone else see that pathetic effort from Caleb Graham in the 3rd quarter I think
Yes, I remembered this one. I re-watched it. Point by Dangerfield after siren at the end of 3rd QTR. Miscommunication between Graham and Andrew. Graham turned head to Mac, started blocking and expected Mac to go after it. It started with Elijah mis-kicking over Graham.

I had seen worse moments in the game, a lot of turnovers were shocking. At one moment, we had like 5-6 turnovers in a row. Usual culprits, but surprisingly Touk, who was otherwise great, had 4-5 bad ones too.

Like everyone else frustrated and disappointed in our last couple of weeks.
Never expected to beat Geelong they are a class above us.
What was annoying was possibly the worst match up i have seen in 60 years of following Afl at any level ,
Andrew on Stengle. How our so called brains trust thought that would work is beyond me.
Not fair on Andrew and not fair on the team.we basically gave them a 5 goal start. Game over.
Full marks to Miller Ellis Witts Anderson Rankin Lemmens Farrer Ainsworth Swallow who all battled manfully.
The rest gave us zero.
Hopefully some improvement next week.
I'd include Sam Collins in that list. He is under massive pressure with all the ineptness around him and did a lot of good hard things. For some reason though, he's not clucking those big marks like a year or so ago. The absolute backbone of our defence. You can hear him barking instructions all game from the stands. Lemmens? I'm still on the outer regarding him.

Yes, I remembered this one. I re-watched it. Point by Dangerfield after siren at the end of 3rd QTR. Miscommunication between Graham and Andrew. Graham turned head to Mac, started blocking and expected Mac to go after it. It started with Elijah mis-kicking over Graham.

I had seen worse moments in the game, a lot of turnovers were shocking. At one moment, we had like 5-6 turnovers in a row. Usual culprits, but surprisingly Touk, who was otherwise great, had 4-5 bad ones too.
That must have been another Caleb utensil up. This one resulted in a goal at the southern end. Caleb stood there and hung his head. Dangerfield's bad miss must have been the result of another error. I'll try and watch that 3rd quarter again - but don't know if I want to subject myself to the torture.

Flanders did three of the worst - in a row! Touk was magnificent overall but for a moment the bad old Touk reappeared with some of his kicking and decision making. I'll keep him though!

That must have been another Caleb utensil up. This one resulted in a goal at the southern end. Caleb stood there and hung his head. Dangerfield's bad miss must have been the result of another error. I'll try and watch that 3rd quarter again - but don't know if I want to subject myself to the torture.
Let me see if I can find it going by goals. For sure I don't want to re-watch the game yet too :) I checked, I don't think it's 3rd QTR, Cats scored 3 goals - it's none of them.

Let me see if I can find it going by goals. For sure I don't want to re-watch the game yet too :) I checked, I don't think it's 3rd QTR, Cats scored 3 goals - it's none of them.
Last half of the 3rd quarter unless I'm still in delirium! Will force myself to watch it again some time this week - just need to recover before subjecting myself all over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back