Preview Round 8: Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power would have to be top 3 in GWS's best and fairest at the moment. Ward, Power, Giles (maybe Davis as well?)

It depends on how they calculate their B&F.

I'd have Ward, Giles, Davis and Coniglio above him. Cornes would be on par, mainly because he missed a game, and Kennedy and Bugg would be doing well based off their ability to play a role (shut down an opponent and get some rebound). Mohr potentially as well, since I don't think he's really been beaten this year.

Power, while getting a bit of the ball, hasn't really been making a massive impact on the field with his possessions in most games. I think his value has been in his professionalism, which is what they recruited him for.

It's great to see Lukey doing well at GWS.

His delisting/trade is still something that does not bother me, the season is still young, and I would rather that we made the decision that we did a year early than a year late.

Power, while getting a bit of the ball, hasn't really been making a massive impact on the field with his possessions in most games.

Strongly disagree with this. He gets a lot of his touches with his back on the goalpost, and the opposition forwards bearing down on him. His ability to find a target by foot nine times out of ten in that situation has a big impact in relieving pressure on his young teammates.

The one frustration I do feel about Power leaving is that he obviously is very capable at finding targets from kick-ins. We had such huge problems in that area last season but we never thought to try him down there.

I think the Lions have enough experience in the side. Ditching Power was a step forward. No real loss IMO. Wouldn't have made much of a difference to any result.

Thanks dlanod and as already said a nice insight into the GWS giants and great to see additional recent first hand views from TomFC’s – I’ve not seen them yet so can only go by a couple of interwebby stats…

A couple of SIMPLE must do’s
· Get the ball first – they are actually getting the ball more than us [2401 total possessions to 2489] with the Cont Possessions we are averaging 10 more than GWS [145:135] and clearance averages of 38 to their 39 per game
· Use the ball better – yeah I know an iffy stat because we tend to be less direct than most teams but still throwing this out there as a quotable deficiency 69% to their 71%DE and those that question the figure can consider… our average clanger per game of 56 to their 46 and also the uncontested possessions of 198 versus their 220
· Score more than them – we get the ball inside 50 an average of 45 times per game compared to their 40 and on average we score more averaging 10 goals 11 behinds to their 8:9 per game

Will be very interesting to see what changes we make for this coming round - with the Sunday afternoon weather predicted to be fine, sunny and DRY - will we be going for more speed or body size?

If we don't win this there will be hell to pay IMO. Brown to kick 10 and Rockliff to have 40 disposals.

There might be hell to pay even if we just win or even win by under 6 goals. There may not be a lot to be gained from the Lions perspective in terms of respect this week - but us supporters desperately need to see us play some good footy, and the team needs that for their confidence.

People think the 'unmentionable' won't happen, but we thought the same thing before we played Gold Coast last year.

If the players think that way or if they don't play significantly better than the last two weeks then we could find ourselves in trouble by the end of the game. It shouldn't happen, but it could - especially given how we are playing this year.

And on another subject, any predictions for the crowd? It is going to be a shocker - Sunday game, against GWS who will have virtually no support, coming off some appalling games from the Lions.

But personally why wouldn't you want to turn up? 90% chance of a win; day game so families can come; the weather looks like it will be very good; and the Lions might finally play some good footy for once.

Although realistically this week will show how many diehards we have. I am tipping 15,000.

In: Stiller, Cornelius, Bewick, Adcock

Out: Hanley (injured) Patfull, Banfield, Polkinghorne (Omitted)

I would be playing Merrett at Full Back and Stiller on the Half Back Flank.

Adcock as a straight swap for Polkinghorne

Cornelius at Full Forward.

Zorko would start in a straight swap for Banfield and Bewick would be Substitute.

To suggest that we need to win this one would be a massive understatement.

P.S. I just read an article in today's Herald Sun by Greg Davis, Lions hearts, minds questioned, where Angus Johnson was quoted as saying:

If this is the case, I would expect the axe to swing this week at team selection. If not, then there are a few possibilities that occur to me:

1. Voss thinks Angus Johnson is wrong and this will be reflected at team selection.
2. The players Johnson alludes to are in the reserves and will be staying there.
3. Johnson feels that Voss is incapable of or unwilling to "put a rocket up the players," so he feels the need to do it for him, hoping that his intervention will turn these players around.
4. All of the above to varying degrees.

Whatever the case may be, it's a worrying observation by Johnson and one that a few of us have felt to be true based on our exposed form over the last couple of years.

It is also a bad sign for Voss, because the clear sub-text is that Voss, as coach, has not been able to instill a sense of professionalism and dedication in a number of players.

Bartlett and Green in this week, along with Hudson and Addock. Four outs to be McGrath, Bannfield, with Hudson in Merrett can play back so McKeever out and Polkinghorne.

I've already got multiple flame suits ready in case "that" happens.

...What? Yes, I am still going to defend them! It might be a thankless and hopeless task, but I lived with a 29-year-old toddler. Thankless and hopeless is my speciality :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see the following team named for GWS.

Golby Merrett Lester
Adcock Maguire Drummond
Rich Rockliff Polec
Zorko Brown Green
Karnezis Lisle McGrath
Hudson Black Redden
I/C Raines Stiller Harwood Crisp(sub)

In: Lester Adcock Green Lisle Hudson Stiller Crisp
Out: Patfull Hanley(injured) Banfield McKeeever Longer Hawksley Polkinghorne

Merret back to defence. Lisle to second ruck and when this happens would like to see small forward line structure. Stiller Green promoted based on reserves form. Patfull probably unlucky.

Confident this team will do the job.

Golby Merrett Lester
Adcock Maguire Drummond
Rich Rockliff Polec
Zorko Brown Green
Karnezis Lisle McGrath
Hudson Black Redden

Merret back to defence. Lisle to second ruck and when this happens would like to see small forward line structure. Stiller Green promoted based on reserves form. Patfull probably unlucky.

Like this team...but keep banfield in ahead of stiller.

We really should win this game. GWS, Suns and Melbourne should quite comfortably finish on the bottom of the table this year.

I put us in with the next group up along with Port, Bulldogs, Richmond and North. I think these games will be our real measuring stick. Its a pity that we have played either very good teams or very poor teams in the first third of the draw.

We really should win this game. GWS, Suns and Melbourne should quite comfortably finish on the bottom of the table this year.

I put us in with the next group up along with Port, Bulldogs, Richmond and North. I think these games will be our real measuring stick. Its a pity that we have played either very good teams or very poor teams in the first third of the draw.

I think that's very generous to put us in the same company as Richmond,North and even Bulldogs. For mine we are still a season away from the Bulldogs and 2 away from Kangas and Tigers. Under the current regime anyway

I think that's very generous to put us in the same company as Richmond,North and even Bulldogs. For mine we are still a season away from the Bulldogs and 2 away from Kangas and Tigers. Under the current regime anyway

Agree with your assessment of where we are in relation to Rich, WB and NM.

This "under the current regime" rider has got me intrigued though.

I guess you believe in the old Silver Bullet approach to success.

If only we had a good coach...............;)

It's definitely not out of the realms of possibility that we cough up this one. Whilst they're obviously a very young side, their attack on the ball and general skill level is far from atrocious.

The confidence they would've gained from getting one in the win column against GC could see them come out like a bull at a gate.

I'm nervous but I still expect our experience and our bigger bodies to weigh heavily on the outcome.

it was distressing to hear a radio interview of a GWS player yesterday, where the interviewer was mocking brisbane & encouraging the GWS player to do the same. 'You must be rubbing your hands with glee to be folowing up your win at the w/e with a game against brisbane ... two in a row for you boys hah!! ....' i wanted to punch his lights out. But it is indicative of how far we have fallen in the respect stakes these days.

Golby Merrett Lester
Adcock Maguire Drummond
Rich Rockliff Polec
Zorko Brown Green
Karnezis Lisle McGrath
Hudson Black Redden

Hard to take you seriously HPLion when you suggest dropping Hawksely, who was clearly amongst our better players against Collingwood. Hawksley was our second higest for disposals, had the second highest Dream Team rating and was judged amongst the best players by every print media outlet and even in the piece on the Lion's website. He had battled his way into the seniors on the back of some outstanding reserves form and in his first game back produced another strong effort.

Why would you drop a player on that form?

In a week when Angus Johnson has had a crack at players who he believes are not professional in their approach and not fully committed, what sense does it make to drop a player who is clearly both? :confused:

3KZ, I'd avoid DT ratings when making arguments about how well or not well a player is doing. They really only measure possessions and marks, and don't take into account how good or bad a possession may be - a kick out of bounds on the full or straight to an opponent counts the same as a perfectly weighted long kick to Browny on the lead.

restraining myself from harping on Hawksley selling teammates up the river with his disposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back