Preview Round 8: Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hanley and Adcock is fit Hawksley might be in trouble but otherwise he should be safe.

3KZ, I'd avoid DT ratings when making arguments about how well or not well a player is doing. They really only measure possessions and marks, and don't take into account how good or bad a possession may be - a kick out of bounds on the full or straight to an opponent counts the same as a perfectly weighted long kick to Browny on the lead.

restraining myself from harping on Hawksley selling teammates up the river with his disposals

I know that Dream Team is not a good measure, but such is my desire to paint James Hawksey in the best possible light and see that his hard work and good form is recognised, I thought I'd throw it in. After all, he was ranked as our second best player! ;) To be honest if he was voted amongst the best players by the barflies at the Lord Newry Hotel in Fitzroy I would have mentioned that too.

For the record and on a more serious note, he was also rated amongst our best players here:

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/16931/Default.aspx#fixtureid=7718&tab=Recap

and here:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/slick-pies-kill-off-lions-20120512-1yk9a.html

Dlanod, I have been receiving treatment and have been almost cured of my negative obsession with Sam Sheldon, I can recommend a good therapist if you want to be cured of your negative obsession with Number 12.

My brother and I are flying up from Melbourne for the day this week so hopefully we can get a win!
I was hoping to go see some of the reserves game too seeing as we land early in the morning. Anyone know how to get to Yaronga to/from the Gabba the easiest way?

Hawksley's been given his chance and now he needs an opportunity to consolidate.

To be honest, I think he's more than likely a waste of time, but we don't have so many players on our list going well enough to keep him out.

Really hope we see Beams back this week, if only as the sub.

Dlanod, I have been receiving treatment and have been almost cured of my negative obsession with Sam Sheldon, I can recommend a good therapist if you want to be cured of your negative obsession with Number 12.

The irony of me focusing on one particular player in a discussion with you wasn't lost on me. ;)

To be honest, I didn't recommend dropping him because at least he was getting the ball and it's been a while since he's been in the seniors. I'll give him leeway to adjust to AFL over NEAFL, which is why I'm never really a fan of chopping and changing players who've only had a week or two in the seniors.

Credit where credit's due - his game against Collingwood was his third highest disposal count ever. He's averaged a maximum of 16 disposals in previous years. If he can continue on this improvement path and improve his disposal over last weekend's efforts, he might not be the automatic delisting that I figured him to be.

The irony of me focusing on one particular player in a discussion with you wasn't lost on me. ;)

To be honest, I didn't recommend dropping him because at least he was getting the ball and it's been a while since he's been in the seniors. I'll give him leeway to adjust to AFL over NEAFL, which is why I'm never really a fan of chopping and changing players who've only had a week or two in the seniors.

Credit where credit's due - his game against Collingwood was his third highest disposal count ever. He's averaged a maximum of 16 disposals in previous years. If he can continue on this improvement path and improve his disposal over last weekend's efforts, he might not be the automatic delisting that I figured him to be.
The lift in disposal count is a big plus in his favour, I reckon. He showed it late last year and in the NAB Cup too. Something has clicked for him and I'm glad to see him rewarded with senior selection.

But.......

His biggest problem has always been disposal. It almost becomes counter productive to have the ball in the hands of a player who either turns it over or puts the receiving teammate under pressure. That has to improve and quickly if he's going to keep getting chances.

I'd keep him in for another week.

Link

In the Hird mini-era, Jetta has played every game, moving like a loose arrow around Essendon's forward line. The change in emphasis in the game has suited him. The premium on forward pressure makes a place for the stealth Bomber.

''Me and Alwyn, our role is to put pressure on when it comes in there,'' he said. ''To kick some goals, yes, but the main thing is to keep it in there: scare the opposition when they're trying to run out, chase them down, put a lot of pressure on them, and hopefully help the mids and backs out by forcing them to kick a long ball down the line, so blokes like Hooker and 'Fletch' can get a fist on it.''

Here is football's evolution in a nutshell, the forward pocket dwelling on how he might and must help out the back pocket.

Just an interesting comment from Jetta about his role at the Bombers. There's been lots of (justified) criticism of Banfield at the moment. But this is his role. I'm not sure he's doing this role to the level he should be but, quite clearly, the important KPIs in modern footy for a small forward aren't possessions or even goals (to an extent) but rather pressure acts.

what a sad indictment on the brisbane lions when the game preview featured in afl.com has brisbane only winning by 18 points.

i guess we should be thankful that they have thought we would even win, but if it is that close i will be extremely disappointed.

My brother and I are flying up from Melbourne for the day this week so hopefully we can get a win!
I was hoping to go see some of the reserves game too seeing as we land early in the morning. Anyone know how to get to Yaronga to/from the Gabba the easiest way?

It's about 15 mins from the GABBA in reasonable traffic - game starts at 9.30.
Look up the maps if u don't have a GPS the ground is in Cannsdale st Yeronga.

Link

Just an interesting comment from Jetta about his role at the Bombers. There's been lots of (justified) criticism of Banfield at the moment. But this is his role. I'm not sure he's doing this role to the level he should be but, quite clearly, the important KPIs in modern footy for a small forward aren't possessions or even goals (to an extent) but rather pressure acts.

Difference is he is doing at almost all by himself. Needs a hand from any two of Beams, Green & Zorko.

Look at sides like Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton, etc they all generally will play with 3 quick small forwards. We do seem to be very slow to catch on.

Difference is he is doing at almost all by himself. Needs a hand from any two of Beams, Green & Zorko.

Look at sides like Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton, etc they all generally will play with 3 quick small forwards. We do seem to be very slow to catch on.
Yep.

We seem to be making do with guys like Polkinghorne. He just doesn't have the zip and closing speed of the others.

BRISBANE LIONS
After missing last week's loss against Collingwood, vice-captain Jed Adcock (groin), veteran ruckman Ben Hudson (soreness) and young defender Ryan Lester (soreness) are almost certain to return on Sunday to play GWS.

Pearce Hanley's hamstring injury is minor and the Irishman will be tested during the week. If he falls short, it may pave the way for the quick return of rookie Jack Crisp.

-Michael Whiting
In the mix from the AFL website.

Hoping Hanley get's up!

:thumbsu: A very good point. Meanwhile at Brisbane, we have Merrett, a natural Full Back, lumbering about in the forward line! Is it any wonder that in the last three games we have finished each match with 4, 9 and 8 goals respectively, while we have haemorrhaged goals at the other end.

Clearly it is time for Plan B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: A very good point. Meanwhile at Brisbane, we have Merrett, a natural Full Back, lumbering about in the forward line! Is it any wonder that in the last three games we have finished each match with 4, 9 and 8 goals respectively, while we have haemorrhaged goals at the other end.

I would have thought it was time we went back to plan A with merrett down back :p

You mean:

B: lionshine, Cousin Jed, Jorgo
HB: Ceebee, patfullfankezz, Balony_pony16
C: POBT, weevil, Grimreepah
HF: MacMum, 3KZ is Football, BeamsStar17
F: PattyKisagun, dlanod, Last of the Roys
Foll: TomFC, ImAwakeImAlive, IanHaso84

Int: jackess, whataboutbob, blynd_freddie Sub: TheBrownDog

You mean:

I find this post to be quite accurate, Kezz. I really am more of a post rover than a clearer or major post winner.

You mean:

haha...yeah give me drummonds spot so I can pull a hammy

You mean: