VFL Sandringham Zebras 2015 News and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like i wana get my boots in while your kicking then on the ground : ) and add that Lee has done nothing to suggest he should be selected in front of anyone else. He looks like he was a waste of a pick at this stage. Doesnt look like improvement.. which is quite disapointing..
And while were at it. Im putting the coach on notice too.. Talk is talk and hype is hype. Show me a game plan thats executed by the players on game day in the next couple seasons. Then i'll start to believe. Brendan McCartney used to sell the dream pretty good too.

I just don't understand the comments on people being unsure about Acres. Every time I see him play I see a player with time when he is near the ball. Footballers that play the game at his pace are good AFL players at worst.

I feel like i wana get my boots in while your kicking then on the ground : ) and add that Lee has done nothing to suggest he should be selected in front of anyone else. He looks like he was a waste of a pick at this stage. Doesnt look like improvement.. which is quite disapointing..
And while were at it. Im putting the coach on notice too.. Talk is talk and hype is hype. Show me a game plan thats executed by the players on game day in the next couple seasons. Then i'll start to believe. Brendan McCartney used to sell the dream pretty good too.
Might just be the worst post so far this year

Tom Lee seemed to have done pretty well under Watters in his first year and since has struggled. Not blaming Richo at all here but playing him in the Ruck is silly.

Really hope he can get back to his first year form. I'm not giving up on him yet!

I actually heard from a relative of a player who has been there for quite a while and not getting games that there is no promise of games despite meeting all the KPIs asked of him. I wonder if there is a bunch who were bought in at that time who are stamped because they were Watters boys?

Hmmmm Montagna said Billings will be an A grade midfielder, I'll back him in.

I remember Montagna saying that we had the next Robert Harvey on our list in about 2008 or 09 talking of young Jack Steven. Might have some good judgement but hope it doesn't take as long.

I actually heard from a relative of a player who has been there for quite a while and not getting games that there is no promise of games despite meeting all the KPIs asked of him. I wonder if there is a bunch who were bought in at that time who are stamped because they were Watters boys?

More likely its for structure. If you had four Delaney's the same and they all met KPI's you would shake their hand and say good boy, but you don't give them all a game.

The way I look at it is that once a player is on our list, he has my support.
Once he performs to the level we require, he has my respect.
Once he helps us win a premiership, he has my undying gratitude.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Once he helps us win a premiership, he has my undying gratitude.
After nearly 50yrs without a flag if he gets us a premiership I'll give him more than gratitude.
He can have my Car, House, Wife & kids:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

But hes not taking my dog:D

Tom Lee seemed to have done pretty well under Watters in his first year and since has struggled. Not blaming Richo at all here but playing him in the Ruck is silly.

Really hope he can get back to his first year form. I'm not giving up on him yet!
Besides a textbook kicking action, Lee has yet to demonstrate why he should be selected. His propensity to defend is limited. Doesn't show enough as a pack marking forward. Struggles to out body the second and third best defender.
McCartin has shown much better endeavour in his limited time. Bruce has gone past him. Membrey has gone past him. Acres has all the aerial capabilities of Lee and can go through the middle as well.
I am not knocking the bloke because he seems to be universally liked by all within the club, but my belief that this pick will deliver high returns is starting to wane.
Trade bait for mind.

Besides a textbook kicking action, Lee has yet to demonstrate why he should be selected. His propensity to defend is limited. Doesn't show enough as a pack marking forward. Struggles to out body the second and third best defender.
McCartin has shown much better endeavour in his limited time. Bruce has gone past him. Membrey has gone past him. Acres has all the aerial capabilities of Lee and can go through the middle as well.
I am not knocking the bloke because he seems to be universally liked by all within the club, but my belief that this pick will deliver high returns is starting to wane.
Trade bait for mind.

who would take him?

who would take him?
Put a line through Adelaide and the expansion clubs. He is a Perth boy, maybe Freo or repackage him as a KPD prospect and test WCE interest. Essendon? Carlton?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put a line through Adelaide and the expansion clubs. He is a Perth boy, maybe Freo or repackage him as a KPD prospect and test WCE interest. Essendon? Carlton?

wce wouldnt take him as a KPD, even with mckenzie and brown down, because he just wouldnt be effective. they'd go to the rookie draft before that

freo..not sure they'd take him tbh

I'm one of the few still in the 'Tommy can make it' camp but I think it will be as a defender.

I like the idea of trying him at CHB, especially with Bruce's fast development as a key forward & the acquisition of Stickers Membrey. Yes we have Hughy as our CHB of the future but having depth is something that we will desperately need as we start to challenge again.

Personally I'd play him as a tall defender at Sandy & have him closely mentored by Spud for the next few months.

I'm one of the few still in the 'Tommy can make it' camp but I think it will be as a defender.

I like the idea of trying him at CHB, especially with Bruce's fast development as a key forward & the acquisition of Stickers Membrey. Yes we have Hughy as our CHB of the future but having depth is something that we will desperately need as we start to challenge again.

Personally I'd play him as a tall defender at Sandy & have him closely mentored by Spud for the next few months.
Agree with this, but not the CHB part, I'd be looking at him playing the no.3 tall role back there. Long term and even now (with Gilbo injured so much of late) I see that as a real questionmark for us.

He has the height, the speed (originally tested at 2.93sec 20m sprint, which is elite for his height), the big leap, reads the play well, is great below his knees, would be good for intercept marking and his field kicking back there would be a real asset. I was really happy when I read that he had lined up there on the weekend.

So they may be grooming him for that role (almost the Sam Fisher role, when he's not playing KPD), or they may just be getting him to improve his one-on-one body work and defensive game, for when he returns to the forward line.

Lets not forget that this time last year we were talking about how poorly Savage was going, whether playing midfield or forward, yet he ended up blitzing down back and looks to have found his niche. We may see something a bit similar with T-Lee.

By the sounds of what we were hearing over preseason he was doing really well on the track, but I think he just needs to find his game-day confidence again, which seems shot. He seems to be a shadow of the Lee we picked up, from an on-field performance POV, even though he should theoretically be much better now, given that he was only 21yo then and has now had another couple of AFL preseasons and has bulked up and now has AFL experience. In his last season in the WAFL he kicked 70 or so goals at senior WAFL and/or Foxtel Cup level, at 21yo and then the next year he kicked 16 goals in his last 8 games for us, despite playing with two shoulders that needed reconstructing, a dodgy knee, and from what I understood at the time, a compartment-syndrome type issue in either one, or both calves (hence one of them being wrapped up in those latter games).

So he's certainly shown that he can play footy, he just needs to get that confidence and belief back and start showing it again. And for his body to hold up!

Last edited:

I was at the Sandy practice match last week and Tommy really struggled after quarter time. He was just continually beaten in the air and struggled to get any body on, on most occasions. His kicking and ground work stood up but he just got beaten in the air seemly every time it went near him. Not a good sign for someone we are all hoping can turn into a genuine KPP.

Still fairly bullish about Lee, but perhaps more from hope than reason, unfortunately.

Like ARR said, he was really good in 8 or so games for us in 2013. He leaped at the ball beautifully, had a nice kick and good set of rules - reminded me a lot of Jack Reiwoldt without the showmanship.

Still harbour hope he can become a serviceable KPF in the future but can also see why he could become a handy third tall.

Hopefully he finds fitness/form sooner rather than later.

I just have no clue what they're doing with Lee, playing him KPD and Ruck. How does that utilise his best quality, his kicking skills. If we have too many forwards now with Roo, Bruce, Membrey, Lee, White then let the non-selected forwards dominate at VFL level so if their's an injury they can slot in and play well. Or come years end and they're unhappy about selection, trade them while they're at least playing well in the 2's. Don't try to make them something they aren't.

I was at the Sandy practice match last week and Tommy really struggled after quarter time. He was just continually beaten in the air and struggled to get any body on, on most occasions. His kicking and ground work stood up but he just got beaten in the air seemly every time it went near him. Not a good sign for someone we are all hoping can turn into a genuine KPP.

If they are in fact looking at turning Tommy into a defender that it'll take more than one week.

Another VFL practice match this weekend & then at least a month at VFL level before we can make a reasonable judgment.

I just have no clue what they're doing with Lee, playing him KPD and Ruck. How does that utilise his best quality, his kicking skills. If we have too many forwards now with Roo, Bruce, Membrey, Lee, White then let the non-selected forwards dominate at VFL level so if their's an injury they can slot in and play well. Or come years end and they're unhappy about selection, trade them while they're at least playing well in the 2's. Don't try to make them something they aren't.

Great kicking skills are needed all over the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back