VFL Sandringham Zebras 2015 News and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

McKenzie ticks a hell of a lot of boxes. Has a real crack, is terrific defensively (including tackles-wise), has an exceptional athletic profile, testing extremely well for endurance, speed, agility and leap, looks to be excellent overhead and has what looks to be a really good left foot kick on him. Might be a better version of Jimmy Webster and I really like J-Webb.

McKenzie ticks a hell of a lot of boxes. Has a real crack, is terrific defensively (including tackles-wise), has an exceptional athletic profile, testing extremely well for endurance, speed, agility and leap, looks to be excellent overhead and has what looks to be a really good left foot kick on him. Might be a better version of Jimmy Webster and I really like J-Webb.

My heart may just stop. If we finished up with a couple of top mids in the next two drafts plus a gun mid free agent then Newnes may finish up starting HB or rotating through there. Plus J Web, D Mac and Wright gives some terrific combinations of pace, disposal and all have strong defensive traits. Could be a gun defensive unit. Some kid in the scoobs called Hugh might be ok too.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rs-on-eve-of-vfl-openers-20150411-1mi84z.html

Sandringham tipped to be the big improvers on eve of VFL openers

The Zebras are expected to be big improvers and join Box Hill, Footscray, Port Melbourne and Williamstown as serious premiership contenders. Recruits Mitch Brown, Clint Jones and Trent Dennis-Lane – three of 21 former AFL-listed players to join VFL clubs in the pre-season – have only enhanced that prediction.

"We did very well last year and Macca [Simon McPhee] was able to develop some of those Sandringham boys ... and those guys have got another year under their belt," said Hudson. "We'll be aiming for top four, bar injury."

Dave Savell ‏@SavellDave
@stkildafc @sandyzebs Murdoch and Pierce both playing strong games for development team this morning

Great to see Bull and Lewey doing well in a good win for the Development Team.

Sandringham FC ‏@sandyzebs
3 out of 3 for the development squad as they win their third practice match. Zebras 15.12 (102) defeated Dolphins 9.10 (64)

He has kicked three im pretty sure Ive seen but missed the first ten mins, he missed a sitter and had a hand in another couple.

Half time here, 28 points up. Saunders and Acres getting a heap of it, disposal by foot a little avg by both at times. McKenzie playing well and has shown his footskills are a class above. Payne playing very well also, not huge, but a Jack Gunstan type he is. Hughie also standing out with good composure with the ball, beaten in a couple of contests but winning overall.

Oh, and Jase Holmes would almost be the best ruckman in the AFL if kicking wasn't allowed, his tapwork and efforts below his knees are top notch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its great to hear re saunders acres mckenzie (and McCartin). I want to see strong VFL performances. I want to see them playing so well that they demand a spot and have us saying why aren't they being played, a la the Freo boys, (Weller for example). That is what Ross, Murdoch and to a slightly lesser extent Minch did last year....

Eli and Minch had nice quarters. Minchington kicked a couple, pinched one off Paddy, Paddy missed another very gettable shot, 3.3 now I think. Still 30 points up. Ill reiterate how good/composed Hugh is down back, is a real general down there. I reckon we will see DMac sooner rather than later, a class above.

Overall its a pretty good hitout for the guys, Frankston aren't great, and footskills letting us down at times - but good signs.

Oh, and Mitch Brown will win Sandys B&F in a canter assuming no Saints boys stay there for a prelonged period.

3qtr time:

Paddy 3.3
Minch 3 goals and 6 tackles
Eli 1 goals
Blacres 1 goal
Payne 1 goal
Saunders 20 touches (Jones 27)

Very very happy with this...

Depending on a few performances tonight, it's worth noting that to 3qtr time for Sandy:

- Paddy 3.3
- Minch 3 goals and 6 tackles
- Saunders 20 touches

The are playing Frankston, who aren't going to be great, but still... pleasing signs.

Apparently Goddard has been impressive as well, and Eli and Payne both have a goal.
How's McCartin been scoring?

Marking and set shots, or opportunistic play?

From SS:

BringBackMadDog said:
1/2 time. Sandy 11.7 to 7.4. Paddy has 3.2 and could've kicked 6 or 7 but gave a few away. Goddard is smashing them at half back. Acres has been good Holmes is the best big man on the ground. Brenton Payne has taken some unbelievable marks and kicked a goal. Eli has done some nice things but not dominated. Lee has looked a lot better and his field kicking is really good

BringBackMadDog said:
3/4 time sandy 102 to 72. Mitch Brown should be playing AFL. Goddard will be in the seniors real soon. Paddy has had a good game his ground work has been impressive.
Holmes has been fantastic he's now making really good position and does not fumble
Hickey has been good just needs to be more aggressive and physical
Acres got a ton of possession

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back