List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Scott Selwood moves to Geelong as free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

seriously a player who struggled to get on the field with known mental issues is not the equal of varcoe
varcoe had a good year for the pies
Funny. I was reading through the 2015 trade thread last night. Many were ecstatic for the trade. Note that TV was for years the board whipping boy.

Revisionism does wonders.

seriously
pick 39 was not fair

it was the ability of wells to make this pick look good, not fairness at the time of the exchange
Prismall was fringe and injured (ACL) when we traded him. Most definitely fair.

seriously
pick 39 was not fair

it was the ability of wells to make this pick look good, not fairness at the time of the exchange

You may think that pick 39 isn't fair but you're judging it as soon as the trade is done. Wells and the powers that be are looking far longer into the future. Tell me who won that trade?

Bundy for pick 21 and pick 21 for Stanley may not have looked fair during last year's trade period or even now but we're gonna have to wait a few more years to see who won that trade. ie. what Stanley produces.

all geelong deals are getting stuffed around because of us being perceived as weak

I wouldn't fret too much. Let's see where things sit come the end of the trade/FA period. I suspect most of us here will be very happy, and perceptions will have changed. It's important to remember that current perception is solely based on the BALME era. His sole notable acquisitions are Caddy, Rivers, Hmac and Clark. Notable misses include Andrew Lovett, Taylor Adams, Heath Shaw and James Frawley. It is obvious we are dealing with an entirely different beast in Hocking. He is aiming to pull off a single season haul bigger than all of Balme's acquisitions combined. Maybe the biggest recruiting raid in the game's history. You do not aim for such a haul, much less think you can pull it off, unless you are completely ruthless.

You are clearly a switched on, informed poster. Don't let the media noise mess with your head. The fact is we have BETTER leverage in EACH of the Danger, Henderson and Sel situations. I expect Hocking will make this count. He is VERY hands on wrt to list management, trade and FA, and it shouldn't be forgotten he is Wells' boss. I think he understands this much better than Balme ever did.

I wouldn't fret too much. Let's see where things sit come the end of the trade/FA period. I suspect most of us here will be very happy, and perceptions will have changed. It's important to remember that current perception is solely based on the BALME era. His sole notable acquisitions are Caddy, Rivers, Hmac and Clark. Notable misses include Andrew Lovett, Taylor Adams, Heath Shaw and James Frawley. It is obvious we are dealing with an entirely different beast in Hocking. He is aiming to pull off a single season haul bigger than all of Balme's acquisitions combined. Maybe the biggest recruiting raid in the game's history. You do not aim for such a haul, much less think you can pull it off, unless you are completely ruthless.

You are clearly a switched on, informed poster. Don't let the media noise mess with your head. The fact is we have BETTER leverage in EACH of the Danger, Henderson and Sel situations. I expect Hocking will make this count. He is VERY hands on wrt to list management, trade and FA, and it shouldn't be forgotten he is Wells' boss. I think he understands this much better than Balme ever did.
i agree
the issue when expectations are set high often people need things done just to save face

I wonder if Selwood had of played in the GF, whether he would've added a bit more hardness and could've shut down one of Mitchell, Hodge or Lewis... Would it have made a difference to the final result, possibly not.

In terms of priority, I think Dangerfield and Henderson are more critical, and then Selwood as a RFA could just be the icing on the cake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the point though, we need improvement everywhere.

Yeah. If we can replicate the game plan we had in our wins against Swans, GWS and Pies then we have something to build on.

Our best this year was position 4-6 material so we shouldn't get too despondent. Having said that we need to upgrade the game plan because quite often we were too easy to score against.

Funny with Prismall. I knew a friend of a friend and he clearly went for the $$. He cited not enough opportunities according to my source. Ridiculous when you consider he was three weeks from a GF.

Backfired significantly.

The impression I've always gotten is of someone who blames every misfortune in his career on others. Geelong had committed to him, and in a side that had won (by the Qualifying Final) 13 straight, he was absolutely holding his spot. Pretending you didn't get opportunities - after you chose to leave, don't forget that - is ludicrous and demonstrably inaccurate.

The impression I've always gotten is of someone who blames every misfortune in his career on others. Geelong had committed to him, and in a side that had won (by the Qualifying Final) 13 straight, he was absolutely holding his spot. Pretending you didn't get opportunities - after you chose to leave, don't forget that - is ludicrous and demonstrably inaccurate.

Yeah you're right he was well and truly part of the 22. I thought his injury was quite untimely and underrated in the whole scheme of the 2008 loss. Remember my contact being critical of the go the cats gave him and I just shook my head.

Yeah you're right he was well and truly part of the 22. I thought his injury was quite untimely and underrated in the whole scheme of the 2008 loss. Remember my contact being critical of the go the cats gave him and I just shook my head.

It was very untimely. He had cracked the 22, and kicked 6 goals in the last 3 matches of the H&A season before doing his knee in the QF. He was a brilliant kick and I recall quite a few of those goals were from long range, or at least a ways out. Could have been very useful in the granny, given our shocking efforts in front of goal. Perhaps could have played instead of the injured Stokes. Though as we know, it was Matty's call and naturally he declared himself right.

Look, it's a s**t weekend for football and I'm entitled to grumble.

It was very untimely. He had cracked the 22, and kicked 6 goals in the last 3 matches of the H&A season before doing his knee in the QF. He was a brilliant kick and I recall quite a few of those goals were from long range, or at least a ways out. Could have been very useful in the granny, given our shocking efforts in front of goal. Perhaps could have played instead of the injured Stokes. Though as we know, it was Matty's call and naturally he declared himself right.

Look, it's a s**t weekend for football and I'm entitled to grumble.

Amen.

I feel empty......kinda like my dog died, someone stole my beer, and the Mrs took off with my best mate.

Worse actually.

Amen.

I feel empty......kinda like my dog died, someone stole my beer, and the Mrs took off with my best mate.

Worse actually.

Yeah, it's kind of tragic. I live OS so I basically found out the result upon waking, and the entire day thereafter was awful. As you say, empty, sad, like something truly bad had happened and I couldn't put my finger on it. Just pathetic:D

Yeah, it's kind of tragic. I live OS so I basically found out the result upon waking, and the entire day thereafter was awful. As you say, empty, sad, like something truly bad had happened and I couldn't put my finger on it. Just pathetic:D

I'm off my food, can't see the approaching summer for the dark fog, and have almost lost the will to live.

I remember a few of Prismall's passes... sublime. I think it was 2007 in the VFL Grand Final... there was one where he hit Hawkins on the lead and you could see he intended to shape the ball in there just past the outstretched defenders hands and hit Tomahawk on the chest. Anyway, he's not only player we can think "what if?" about (Egan, Menzel etc..). At least we didn't trade SJ to Collingwood :D

I wonder if Selwood had of played in the GF, whether he would've added a bit more hardness and could've shut down one of Mitchell, Hodge or Lewis... Would it have made a difference to the final result, possibly not.

In terms of priority, I think Dangerfield and Henderson are more critical, and then Selwood as a RFA could just be the icing on the cake.

Don't mind the idea of getting SS.

We need more soldiers, more grunt, someone willing to get dirty.

Not everyone need be flashy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back