Autopsy Semi Final - Freo Vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the game and, considering that
Mayne was on one leg.
Taberner was struggling.
You had to use your third string defence.
The rest of the team is obviously banged up.
Umps couldn't find you a free inside 50 but didn't fail to miss one for Port.
Your last months frequent flyer points would be tip them into gold class.

The effort was first class, particularly the first half. Port had nowhere to go and I don't subscribe to the "rope a dope" theory, they could not get near it.

Just lacked a bit of composure in the first half and felt the pressure in the second. Most of your outs also happen to be some of your most level headed players and leaders.

Good luck next year, I reckon you will be top 2. I see some criticism of Mzungu, please feel free to trade him to us, outstanding player.

Margetts- really annoyed me why he let Grey take his kick again was beyond me.

He has set the mark and Grey kicked it, you dont recall it in that situation.

someone can correct me if i am wrong but if time off has been called then the player has to get behind the line of the mark and time called back on before he can kick

BUT i always felt that if someone goes for it and miss then too bad

If you watch his games up to (but not including) the finals, he is a runner I can tell you that. He's pretty quick and has a good tank for a big guy. For whatever reason he struggled to get himself going in the finals, and it cost us no doubt. But he helped us structurally in a massive way, and so he stayed in but, yeah, didn't work out this time 'round because you've got to contribute more than just 'being around the place'.

Hopefully his confidence grows over the pre-season because if he can bring his athleticism to the fore and over a whole game, he's an asset.
Ok look I'll give tabs the benefit of the doubt because of his age and inexperience. But he is vital VITAL part of the equation and big tank or whatever I think the primary pre requisite to play for freo is hunger for the contest. He's not playing fwd pocket where 2 touches can be tolerated, we are talking long leads huge km covered in a game to take marks to straighten us up. For the record 2 finals 7 touches 2 marks 6 tackles and 2 behinds isn't really going to cut it next year when he will play most games I would have thought. I'm crossing my fingers

someone can correct me if i am wrong but if time off has been called then the player has to get behind the line of the mark and time called back on before he can kick

He looked like he was in line with the goals as well.

But its a grey area in the laws.

Sheridan and Croz are good players, but its amazing how they haven't stacked on weight!! Easily can be bullied.

Sheridan and Croz are good players, but its amazing how they haven't stacked on weight!! Easily can be bullied.

Not everyone is able to bulk up quickly nor do I think the club want Croz to get too big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

umpires gave us a good run in the first half- we should've been 10 goals up and game over.
Second half- port had the better of it.
Gray decision-'technically' there- not really in the spirit of the game.

Hill's failure to handball over to pav running into open goal was the game changer.

Hope port can beat hawks.

Bring on 2015

Heave Ho

Margetts- really annoyed me why he let Grey take his kick again was beyond me.

He has set the mark and Grey kicked it, you dont recall it in that situation.
He was telling him not to kick it as he was still setting the mark.
Seen it before where a player kicks a goal and then misses the second time.
This time we were lucky and you could say got kissed on the proverbial.

Wrt umpiring you had the rub if the green in the first half and the inevitable squaring up happened before the end of the game.

Wrt the game you did well considering thw players out injured. Sure many say injuries are not an excuse but they are a reality. That was very close to our best 22 and the same cannot be said for your team. For mine you did play an unusual running game early and used up a lot of petrol plus used too many interchanges. That combination plus the missed shots got you in the end.

Obviously winning made it better for Port supporters such as myself but even if we lost it would still have been a great game and certainly not one single soft player out there last night.

He had set the mark.

Mzungu was encroaching from the side.

Gray had a shot and he recalled it. MASSIVE ERROR.

It is either 50m or the kick stands.

He was not re-setting the mark at all, that is incorrect.

He was telling him not to kick it as he was still setting the mark.
Seen it before where a player kicks a goal and then misses the second time.
This time we were lucky and you could say got kissed on the proverbial.

Wrt umpiring you had the rub if the green in the first half and the inevitable squaring up happened before the end of the game.

Wrt the game you did well considering thw players out injured. Sure many say injuries are not an excuse but they are a reality. That was very close to our best 22 and the same cannot be said for your team. For mine you did play an unusual running game early and used up a lot of petrol plus used too many interchanges. That combination plus the missed shots got you in the end.

Obviously winning made it better for Port supporters such as myself but even if we lost it would still have been a great game and certainly not one single soft player out there last night.

Oppo posters like you are welcome to this board any day. But could you tell your fellow fans to just refrain from posting if it's just to gloat? (Granted, Port supporters have mostly been circumspect about gloating, but there have been some who just couldn't help themselves.) :rainbow:

He had set the mark.

Mzungu was encroaching from the side.

Gray had a shot and he recalled it. MASSIVE ERROR.

It is either 50m or the kick stands.

He was not re-setting the mark at all, that is incorrect.

if you take a look at the replay, the ump does not call time on as he was still "setting" the mark when mzungu was encroaching. it stays at 1:33 until the ump calls time back on which was the 2nd attempt. therefore, by the letter of the law, the 1st kick does not stand.

however, in the spirit of the game, it felt wrong and it should of been play on as gray took a risk with the kick

Yeah but you get those from all teams, including Port and Freo.

EDIT: Replying to Grape Bear and not the post above. :thumbsu:

Injuries at this time of year can make all the difference. Posted it elsewhere, history shows that the the top 4 rarely go out straight sets, but history also shows that banged up teams don't make it far into September, certainly not past Prelims.

Is it only 'bad luck' ... probably not entirely, but it largely is I reckon.

I'll tell you one thing that would help, winning one more game this year (looking at you Saint Kilda at Etihad). We win that, we rest up last round and go in fresher against Sydney (as they were able to do with us). Now who knows, maybe nothing changes, but it's unlikely. You put pressure on yourself when you drop games like that through the season, and they come home to roost this time of year.

Agree absolutely. You cannot lose against a bottom of the ladder team. Someone needs to work with the players on maintaining mental focus, intensity was too inconsistent throughout the season. I imagine it could have been a hangover from 2013, but to get the chances at winning the premiership, intensity has to be maintained over years not months.

Agree absolutely. You cannot lose against a bottom of the ladder team. Someone needs to work with the players on maintaining mental focus, intensity was too inconsistent throughout the season. I imagine it could have been a hangover from 2013, but to get the chances at winning the premiership, intensity has to be maintained over years not months.

That's one positive that should come out of all this, we should be going all out for a top 2 finish next season. Great win against Geelong last year but you're just tempting fate playing multiple away finals in a row. Get the home ground advantage the first week and it's more in our own hands.

Not having the start and finish from hell would also be useful next year, would like our games against quality opposition to be dispersed a little more equally throughout the season, keep us on our toes.

That's one positive that should come out of all this, we should be going all out for a top 2 finish next season. Great win against Geelong last year but you're just tempting fate playing multiple away finals in a row. Get the home ground advantage the first week and it's more in our own hands.

Not having the start and finish from hell would also be useful next year
, would like our games against quality opposition to be dispersed a little more equally throughout the season, keep us on our toes.

Unfortunately I believe I have some conspiracy theory in me. The AFL wasn't that impressed we made last years granny, the Geelong match was too blatant of a maneuver. They showed their disdain for our top 4 placing. (If Geelong get 5th place next year and host Adelaide/WB at home, I'd eat my words!)

The idea they stacked the draw against us to stop a repeat is likely. An argument to be made they want a VIC vs NSW contest. Hence North or Hawks vs Swans.

So, Hawks vs Swans is their preference. They want the comp to be relevant in NSW.

On the positive side even if we won last night we would've been taken out clean by the Hawks, if we managed to get over them we'd have hobbled in against a fresh Sydney the following week. Get an extra week for off-season and can lick our wounds until next season.

On the negative side a Straights Sets loss is simply demoralising - teams who go out like that typically find it extremely difficult to get back to the Top 4 the next year (can't find any evidence that suggests otherwise except for Port in 2002). Plus even though we may have hobbled into a Hawks MCG finals it would have been good experience for our players and more exposure to the MCG.

Glass half empty/half full.

On the negative side a Straights Sets loss is simply demoralising - teams who go out like that typically find it extremely difficult to get back to the Top 4 the next year (can't find any evidence that suggests otherwise except for Port in 2002). Plus even though we may have hobbled into a Hawks MCG finals it would have been good experience for our players and more exposure to the MCG.

Well it's only happened twice before in the current system. Port and West Coast.

On the positive side even if we won last night we would've been taken out clean by the Hawks, if we managed to get over them we'd have hobbled in against a fresh Sydney the following week. Get an extra week for off-season and can lick our wounds until next season.

Ordinarily I would agree with you that looking back at stats it's hard to believe we will be top 4 again. But after this year two teams in top 4 being knocked out straight sets? When only happened twice before? Anything is possible. Look at sydney after we smashed them last year in the prelim. Time to get back to work and give it another go next year with the same focus. All comes down to luck with injuries I believe that only separate the top teams anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back