Autopsy Semi Final - Freo Vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else think our midfield is overrated? I'm not basing this off of tonights performance, I've been thinking this all year. Good midfield, but not as good/damaging as people think we are in my opinion.
Mundy has been really poor this finals series.

I purposefully stayed watching the coverage until the Ross Lyon presser. Which was hard watching all the highlights and port talk and interviews in the winner rooms.

But hearing him I feel better. I feel calmer about what went down. I love RTB. He is epic and controlled at once. I love the steel of this team. They may be gutted tonight, for the week and the finals, but the next season is another opportunity for greatness.

This year - I said it 10 weeks ago - we did not look like our best from last year. It was going to be a completely surprising PF or GF berth should we have made it. It would have been superhuman compared with most of our H&A. That we won so many games in a row in the second half shows how monster Fyfe and Sandi and Pavlich and Ballas were to lift the side past its weaknesses, then Walters came at the right time.

I actually hope everyone is not tearing apart themselves looking for answers. Everyone knows the factors. Ross is no excuse so you just get back to it in the pre-season and focus on the things you actually control. Minimising mistakes, giving maximum effort. Keep learning the structures and improving. I love his thinking of maybe they spend too much time on theory. Using tech to dissect and coach isn't as valuable as getting out there and doing the goal-kicking, the match setups - for more time than currently.

Plenty of upside. I am starting to disspell the idea we have a premiership window begin in 2013 of a couple years and hence it's close to being closed. Not buying into that. Let's see what 2015 brings first.

Cheer up everyone. Look on the bright side. It was always going to be tough with our injuries and outs. We finished sixth for the season I presume which means we get a pretty high first round pick at 12?So let's reload for next year. Its disappointing to go out in straight sets but the future looks pretty bright I reckon. Some of these young kids we've got coming through are going to be guns and have already had a lot of finals experience. It was a good year I reckon. We just ain't quite there yet. Who do we get for our first pick? A mid(best available) or another KPP?

Commiserations guys.

While retaining token optimism at halftime, the gathering I was at was ubermaudlin at halftime with the consensus being we should've been 9 or 10 goals down at halftime such was your boa-constrictorlike grip on the game and slick midfield play.

I noted before the game that we'd be chum had we been going in with your commensurate outs even before Silvagni's late withdrawal (Johnson = Carlile, McPharlin = Trengove, Ballantyne = Monfries) so all in all you blokes were awfully stiff.

Nothing but respect for your club and the ultra-professional nature with which it conducts itself.

All the best for next year where we'll no doubt meet again at the pointy end.

Umpires were s**t. Goal kicking was s**t. We should have been up by 10 goals at half time with the game wrapped up. I love Pav but lately his goal kicking has been really hit and miss. He is either on or horribly off. Couldn't win center clearances when we needed to in that 3rd quarter. The dumb f****** Saffas behind me who know nothing about football s**t me all f******* game and if it had have gone another 10 minutes I probably would have turned around and gone off my head at them.

Lachie and Sutty were awesome though. Muz was great off half back although I wish Johnno was fit as Muz would have been more valuable in the midfield. We really missed Ballas forward pressure. I don't think we missed McPharlin and Silvagni a helluva lot since Westhof and Shulz did sweet FA. It was that f****** fairy Robbie Gray and the dirty c*** Wingard who killed us.

I still think we are a great chance next season. Tabs, Sherro and Croz are ever improving and we have Alex Pearce and Tanner waiting in the wings to take over from McPharlin. Ballard, Duffy and Brady Grey are developing nicely and should hopefully get a few games next season. As long as we can keep the core midfield group together over the next 2-3 season I don't see why we aren't genuine premiership contenders for a couple more years.

Bring on day 1 of Pre-Season training.

Clearly he didnt cost us the game but is anyone else concerned about taberner and his lack of will for the contest? Two touches? Are you kidding me?

Wa
Clearly he didnt cost us the game but is anyone else concerned about taberner and his lack of will for the contest? Two touches? Are you kidding me?
s that two touches more than last week vs Sydney. I know he is young but I think the Hawks game went to his head.

Sack the fitness team I say.

The amount of injuries and missing qtrs we endure over the years is ridiculous.

Sack the fitness team I say.

The amount of injuries and missing qtrs we endure over the years is ridiculous.
Two years in a row we have had costly injuries yet if you look at Port, Hawks and Swans they have nearly full teams to choose from. It can't just be good luck

Two years in a row we have had costly injuries yet if you look at Port, Hawks and Swans they have nearly full teams to choose from. It can't just be good luck

It's good luck. Port had injuries in the middle part of the year and that is when they went to s**t. Hawthorn have had a load of injuries. Sydney have just been lucky. It all just depends when you get the injuries.

Meh, felt like a loss at half time. So predictable that Port would come back after we couldn't put them away in the first.

Hope they win the flag, Robbie Gray needs to stop the Jack Darling s**t though.

Hope we trade Clarke, finally throwing my lot in with Reg on Pearce too. Utterly dreadful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We managed our injuries way better last year, Sonny was underdone in the GF no doubt but really only Ibbotson and Clancee were best 22 players missing.

Definitely wasn't the issue last year though, was poor goal kicking and wasting midfield dominance just like this year.

A positive is that we are getting a clearer picture about which players are likely stand up for us in future finals, and which players we can't rely on.

At quarter time I commented that, on exposed finals form up to that point, we need to be questioning the finals temperament of the following players: Pearce, Clarke, Taberner.

Tabs deserves more patience, but the other two are experienced players and have not done enough to demonstrate that they can be relied upon to make a sufficient contribution to a finals campaign for a premiership chasing side.

There are also question marks over some others.

It becomes a risk management equation. How do we manage the potential risk to winning a premiership posed by carrying players who appear to be finals passengers (based on exposed form)?

Suban and Pearce are the ones that need to be ejected. Just not good enough, Pearce turns the ball over with so much frequency and Suban has a quarter of rage and then chucks it in.

Bitterly disappointing to lose this game. But I feel we had little chance next week anyway.

So frustrating that you could see the side almost click into full gear around those last few weeks of the season (say end of Geelong game onwards) ... thinking we'd timed our run pretty well (and with McPharlin the only missing player and set to come back in a prelim), and then we get a few injuries to some of our most important players and the side just goes backwards and is off the pace again.

Going forward we aren't going to get it done with DeBoer, Suban, Pearce and Clarke lining up in the same side. They're just not good enough to be part of a premiership standard side. The likes of Sheridan, Morabito, Sylvia are going to have to step up the plate if we want success next year.

I've been wracking my brain to find a positive since the end of the match. The only thing I can come up with is that there is going to be a lot of opportunities for players who can grab it over the pre season 2015. We might have a very different looking 22 this time next year, hopefully rid of the spuds and those whose heart is indeed the size of pea.

Commiserations guys ... tough going with all your outs. Your first quarter was just simply amazing, and had us running in circles! That fact that we were only 4 goals down at half time was amazing. Also kudos to all here for the great banter, good humour, and general respect shown before, during, and after the match. Certainly I can say without a doubt that you Freo supporters are the best that we have encountered throughout the year! Respect!! Time for some reflection, then look to next year ... you just know that Freo are going to be a big force again in 2015!!

Anyone else think our midfield is overrated? I'm not basing this off of tonights performance, I've been thinking this all year. Good midfield, but not as good/damaging as people think we are in my opinion.
Yep, and it all starts with the supposed leader there.

Yep, and it all starts with the supposed leader there.

I think in reality we've all been a bit guilty of overrating our mids. Short of Mundy you'd say Fyfe/Neale/Hill/Barlow were all pretty good, Sandi was dominant and yet we couldn't seem to buy a clearance in the second half. Felt like we'd lose the clearance if Sandi couldn't get it down to Fyfe.

I may have missed something, but I didn't realise Perth was struck by a blizzard. Why were our players losing their feet so easily?

Skills? Hitting targets?

Where is our killer instinct? No fight in the second half.

Suban and De Boer. Depth players at best. Suban goes missing too often, and De Boer has no place in the team as the youngsters are overtaking him.

I may have missed something, but I didn't realise Perth was struck by a blizzard. Why were our players losing their feet so easily?

I was wondering this as well. Mayne lost his feet at crucial times for some unknown reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back