SFL Division 3 - 2013

Who will take out the 2013 Divison 3 Premiership

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything you said is true.... Still gonna be play 3rd Div for a little while though, so until you guys can make your way up the grades, I doubt a dude with the talent of Jacko would want to give up playing 1st div 1's. If you time it right, you might just get him in his prime.

Oh i have no doubt we will be a div 3 club for some time, even if we did win the flag even this year or in the next couple I would hazard a guess that we wouldnt go up to div 2 so early in our existance and risk ending up like another Southern Dragons or Parkmore.

Jacko is old enough to make his own decisions and i dont think we are going to go out of our way to entice him to come back, particularly at his age, the most we will do is just ask if he'd like to come back. At this stage of his playing career Chelsea Heights probably is a better fit for his development. But Carrum will be here with open arms when the time is right.

Oh i have no doubt we will be a div 3 club for some time, even if we did win the flag even this year or in the next couple I would hazard a guess that we wouldnt go up to div 2 so early in our existance and risk ending up like another Southern Dragons or Parkmore.

Jacko is old enough to make his own decisions and i dont think we are going to go out of our way to entice him to come back, particularly at his age, the most we will do is just ask if he'd like to come back. At this stage of his playing career Chelsea Heights probably is a better fit for his development. But Carrum will be here with open arms when the time is right.

Would be great to see to alot of younger guys come through the senior ranks at Carrum in the next few years.

Seems like Jackson Fry is in high demand! Might go seem him play this week.

Would be great to see to alot of younger guys come through the senior ranks at Carrum in the next few years.

Seems like Jackson Fry is in high demand! Might go seem him play this week.

The den is where it's at this weekend. Its a bye round for MPNFL clubs this week and going by all reports we are expecting another 1000+ crowd there as we take on Black Rock. Alot of players and officials from the surrounding clubs expected to come down for a look.

The den is where it's at this weekend. Its a bye round for MPNFL clubs this week and going by all reports we are expecting another 1000+ crowd there as we take on Black Rock. Alot of players and officials from the surrounding clubs expected to come down for a look.

Sounds like a big day ahead! I will be down at Ben kavanagh reserve...

Good luck to the Lions against the Jets

Great effort by the Lions yesterday notching up to 2 big wins against Black Rock.

For those of you who couldn't make it unfortunately you missed out of what will most likely be one of the best marks I have ever seen in Division 3 Footy by our FF Joel Dalton. Big call I know, but everyone down there saw it and agree it is genuine contender for Almost Football Leagends Mark of the Year!

Black Rock had a camera set up above the dog box and I would love to be able to get my hands on the footage! If anyone from Black Rock is on here and can help us out in getting just a 30 sec clip of the the lead up to the mark and the goal afterwards please contact me.

Luckily one of our spectators took a snap of him as he was coming down. One of the best marks I have ever seen at local footy!

579477_10151633934461649_1386162705_n.jpg

Great effort by the Lions yesterday notching up to 2 big wins against Black Rock.

For those of you who couldn't make it unfortunately you missed out of what will most likely be one of the best marks I have ever seen in Division 3 Footy by our FF Joel Dalton. Big call I know, but everyone down there saw it and agree it is genuine contender for Almost Football Leagends Mark of the Year!

Black Rock had a camera set up above the dog box and I would love to be able to get my hands on the footage! If anyone from Black Rock is on here and can help us out in getting just a 30 sec clip of the the lead up to the mark and the goal afterwards please contact me.

Luckily one of our spectators took a snap of him as he was coming down. One of the best marks I have ever seen at local footy!

579477_10151633934461649_1386162705_n.jpg

Great mark from Dalts in his Chelsea Heights shorts!

ROUND 7
5 THINGS TO KNOW
1. AFL had their bottle-neck into the Final 8 for 2012... Ours is starting to form for the Final 5 in 2013...
I know it’s only Round 7 and there are still 11 rounds left to play, but as the results keep churning out, it’s starting to look very cramped from 3rd position to 7th position.
Dandenong (3rd) and Ashwood (7th), are only separated by 2 wins.
The last few rounds are really going to be finals deal breakers for a few clubs.

2. Doveton & Mount keeping winning.. and keep winning in style
The Doveton juggernaut keeps crushing opponents with an emphatic win over Ashwood by 62 pts.
Looking at the results from the weekend, Doveton’s forward line is clinical converting at 67%, whilst their defence piles on the pressure which made Ashwood convert at 27%.
Funnily enough, the only other team with a better conversion rate than their opponent and won is Mount (MWFC 48% - E.Hills 42%).
Every other winner for Round 7 had a lower conversion rate (ie. Dandy 43% - Sandown 65%), just goes to show that scoreboard pressure can be just as effective.
Ashwood had the lowest conversion rate and 2nd lowest score for the round.

3. Falcons.. starting to see where they are falling down
Ok, so I know I’ve been talking about Endeavour Hills each week and referring to how poorly they are performing. But I just hate seeing clubs loosing convincingly week in week out.
But after seeing them first hand on Saturday, they have the makings of a good competitive side; they just need some fundamental readjusting.
They aren’t a poorly skilled side. They have quite a number of players who know how to find the footy and dispose of it well.
Their problem is their decision making, reactiveness to situations and being a one-trick pony.
If a game plan is not working.. CHANGE IT UP!
I can’t count how many times when they kicked out, they would just chip it short around the boundary.. and usually in the same direction!!
We would just set up a rolling zone and by the time they would get it to either their half-back line or wing (usually took them 3 or 4 kicks, and it only takes 2 kicks to get it from our defensive arc to our forward arc), they would have nowhere to kick to.
This doesn’t mean you kick long down the wing and hope for the best!
The best way to beat a rolling zone is to run, take the opponent on, create space and handball to other running team-mates (hopefully your team-mates wake up and start running for you!).
By the start of the 3rd qtr, I reckon I could’ve drawn lines on the whiteboard predicting where they would go before they actually started moving the footy. I would bet good money I would’ve been correct 90% of the time. I think I noticed them switching it maybe 2 or 3 times, but from stationary kicking and not run & carry.

4. New Kids on the Block starting to live up to the Pre-season hype
Carrum Patterson-Lakes had a good win on the weekend over the overestimated Black Rock.
The margin of 77 pts is reflective of the good form CPL are starting to produce.
During all the pre-season talk on Bigfooty, a fair bit was towards CPL and their recruiting of seasoned players from clubs from stronger comps and higher divisions (notably Chelsea Heights – J.Dalton kicking 7 and taking a nice screamer).
After the first few rounds, it was looking like a bit of a miss with the recruiting, but as the season has gone on, they’ve got their act together and started to produce some good footy.
Will the bubble burst? Or was the first few rounds an aberration? We will wait and see with baited interest.

5. I say it again.. Where to now for Black Rock?
I had these guys tipped to be pushing for finals and being a Premiership contender.
The rumours for their drop to Div 3 were financial and not player personnel related.
I understand when clubs aren’t as financially strong as they used to be, means the quality of players they were reimbursing for their services may decrease, but not the level I never thought this club would be at this current moment in time.
As being part of a club that has never been financially strong, I understand it can be hard trying to retain good quality players who get offers from bigger clubs.
But you hope the culture and structure of the club is good enough to counteract these problems.

ROUND 7
5 THINGS TO KNOW
1. AFL had their bottle-neck into the Final 8 for 2012... Ours is starting to form for the Final 5 in 2013...
I know it’s only Round 7 and there are still 11 rounds left to play, but as the results keep churning out, it’s starting to look very cramped from 3rd position to 7th position.
Dandenong (3rd) and Ashwood (7th), are only separated by 2 wins.
The last few rounds are really going to be finals deal breakers for a few clubs.

2. Doveton & Mount keeping winning.. and keep winning in style
The Doveton juggernaut keeps crushing opponents with an emphatic win over Ashwood by 62 pts.
Looking at the results from the weekend, Doveton’s forward line is clinical converting at 67%, whilst their defence piles on the pressure which made Ashwood convert at 27%.
Funnily enough, the only other team with a better conversion rate than their opponent and won is Mount (MWFC 48% - E.Hills 42%).
Every other winner for Round 7 had a lower conversion rate (ie. Dandy 43% - Sandown 65%), just goes to show that scoreboard pressure can be just as effective.
Ashwood had the lowest conversion rate and 2nd lowest score for the round.

3. Falcons.. starting to see where they are falling down
Ok, so I know I’ve been talking about Endeavour Hills each week and referring to how poorly they are performing. But I just hate seeing clubs loosing convincingly week in week out.
But after seeing them first hand on Saturday, they have the makings of a good competitive side; they just need some fundamental readjusting.
They aren’t a poorly skilled side. They have quite a number of players who know how to find the footy and dispose of it well.
Their problem is their decision making, reactiveness to situations and being a one-trick pony.
If a game plan is not working.. CHANGE IT UP!
I can’t count how many times when they kicked out, they would just chip it short around the boundary.. and usually in the same direction!!
We would just set up a rolling zone and by the time they would get it to either their half-back line or wing (usually took them 3 or 4 kicks, and it only takes 2 kicks to get it from our defensive arc to our forward arc), they would have nowhere to kick to.
This doesn’t mean you kick long down the wing and hope for the best!
The best way to beat a rolling zone is to run, take the opponent on, create space and handball to other running team-mates (hopefully your team-mates wake up and start running for you!).
By the start of the 3rd qtr, I reckon I could’ve drawn lines on the whiteboard predicting where they would go before they actually started moving the footy. I would bet good money I would’ve been correct 90% of the time. I think I noticed them switching it maybe 2 or 3 times, but from stationary kicking and not run & carry.

4. New Kids on the Block starting to live up to the Pre-season hype
Carrum Patterson-Lakes had a good win on the weekend over the overestimated Black Rock.
The margin of 77 pts is reflective of the good form CPL are starting to produce.
During all the pre-season talk on Bigfooty, a fair bit was towards CPL and their recruiting of seasoned players from clubs from stronger comps and higher divisions (notably Chelsea Heights – J.Dalton kicking 7 and taking a nice screamer).
After the first few rounds, it was looking like a bit of a miss with the recruiting, but as the season has gone on, they’ve got their act together and started to produce some good footy.
Will the bubble burst? Or was the first few rounds an aberration? We will wait and see with baited interest.

I had these guys tipped to be pushing for finals and being a Premiership contender.
The rumours for their drop to Div 3 were financial and not player personnel related.
I understand when clubs aren’t as financially strong as they used to be, means the quality of players they were reimbursing for their services may decrease, but not the level I never thought this club would be at this current moment in time.
As being part of a club that has never been financially strong, I understand it can be hard trying to retain good quality players who get offers from bigger clubs.
But you hope the culture and structure of the club is good enough to counteract these problems.

MountPrettyBoy, keep up the good work. Love the write ups every week. Will Round 9 see two unbeaten teams face off? Mount verse Doveton. That would be a great game to see.

But you hope the culture and structure of the club is good enough to counteract these problems.[/quote]
Rumour is Black Rock currently have approx 15-18 players out injured who have all played senior (1st 22) football this year. If true it would be difficult for any club in this division to be competitive as every club has depth issues. Will be interesting to see how they go once they get a full team on the park.

Rumour is Black Rock currently have approx 15-18 players out injured who have all played senior (1st 22) football this year. If true it would be difficult for any club in this division to be competitive as every club has depth issues. Will be interesting to see how they go once they get a full team on the park.

+1

I was speaking to Black Rock officials at the CPL game just past and they confirmed they currently had 19 walk up starts out of action. With players suffering ailments ranging from hamstring strains to appendicitis.

+1

I was speaking to Black Rock officials at the CPL game just past and they confirmed they currently had 19 walk up starts out of action. With players suffering ailments ranging from hamstring strains to appendicitis.

Well that's good to know in a way since I always thought they are a club with good structures and processes in place.
Never seemed like a club who would be dwindling near the bottom of Division 3.
But on the otherhand, they better start fast-tracking these players rehab as the season is well and truly on its way, and time waits for no one.
You don't play finals because your best team on their day is rated Top 5, it's based on being in the top 5 due to their Win/Loss & percentage score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+1

Hard to believe 19 walk up starts out of their best 22!! I would imagine 8-10 with the others being fringe players?? Still 8-10 of your best 22 out is tough and I look forward to seeing how they turn their season around after the break.

Hard to believe 19 walk up starts out of their best 22!! I would imagine 8-10 with the others being fringe players?? Still 8-10 of your best 22 out is tough and I look forward to seeing how they turn their season around after the break.

He was probably exagerating being all seniors. But 19 players be it 1s or 2s is a massive blow to any club. I too would probably expect on 10 max to be seniors

Good upset wins from Carrum & Lyndale on the weekend.

No doubt all clubs will enjoy the week off after 8 action packed rounds of footy.

Round 9 coming up on June 15, the match of the round 1v2 in Doveton Eagles and Mount Waverley should be a cracker.

Good upset wins from Carrum & Lyndale on the weekend.

No doubt all clubs will enjoy the week off after 8 action packed rounds of footy.

Round 9 coming up on June 15, the match of the round 1v2 in Doveton Eagles and Mount Waverley should be a cracker.

I think it is fair to say Carrum have found their mojo that they trying to find in the first few rounds. Led all day and just took the foot off the pedal towards the end. 73 for sandown had a set shot on goal with about 2mins left and kicked it out on the full. Could of been a completely different result had he kicked it.

In what would of been even more of an upset, Carrum 2s where up by 7 points with only 5mins to go in the last qtr against the undefeated Sandown Cobra 2s. 2 skill errors in those last 5mins resulted in 2 sandown goals to hand them the win.

I think it is fair to say Carrum have found their mojo that they trying to find in the first few rounds. Led all day and just took the foot off the pedal towards the end. 73 for sandown had a set shot on goal with about 2mins left and kicked it out on the full. Could of been a completely different result had he kicked it.

In what would of been even more of an upset, Carrum 2s where up by 7 points with only 5mins to go in the last qtr against the undefeated Sandown Cobra 2s. 2 skill errors in those last 5mins resulted in 2 sandown goals to hand them the win.

it was very physical and a tough game it was in the 2s. in saying that though our conversion was horrible and had we kicked straighter it would have been more comfortable. the facilities there were fantastic probably best in the league by a mile and it looks to be a well run place.

He was probably exagerating being all seniors. But 19 players be it 1s or 2s is a massive blow to any club. I too would probably expect on 10 max to be seniors

Folks

It is NO exaggeration..the number of unavailable players, the majority of them ones players has ranged from 14-19 in the last 5 weeks.

It is a credit to John Burke and the whole Club that they have stuck fast and together. FDon't worry about the Jets' culture - it is first class with the people at the helm that they have

ROUND 8
5 THINGS TO KNOW
1. Mt Waverley cops first loss for the season.
Lyndale inflicted Mt Waverley with our first loss of the season.
Being there, Lyndale played the conditions better, utilised the ground better and were just hungrier for the ball.
It just shows no matter how well you think you are going, if you are not switched on each game, things can go against you.
All credit to Lyndale, we had them early, they regrouped and put it to us and capitalised more efficiently finished the game off better.
2. The Doveton Juggernaut keeps rolling on.
Not much more to say about Doveton than I’ve been saying the last few weeks, undefeated and winning well. We face them this week, very eager to see how they play. Watch this space.
3. Dandenong & Lyndale start solidifying their spots in the top 5
Dandenong and Lyndale have been solid performers so far this season with Dandy having some good wins and competing well against us whilst Lyndale have been steadily improving and knocked us off last round to give us our first loss for the season.
4. Carrum Patterson-Lakes rounds out the top 5 with breathing space between them and the early season premiership contenders: Ashwood, Sandown & Black Rock
The preseason talk was about CPL’s recruiting from high comps etc, then as the season started, they weren’t performing to the level everyone was expecting.
But new club, new players trying to gel together, of course was going to take some time. Now they are starting to show real improvement, another hard fought win, this time over Sandown, who I rate highly, they are starting to put the rest of the comp on notice.
5. Endeavour Hills starting to show some steady improvement
Even though they lost by 5 goals to Dandenong, which no one ever likes losing by 5 goals (or losing at all for that matter), the fact they aren’t getting blown away by in-form top sides is credit to them for not lying down and raising the white flag already.
Hopefully we can see them to start knocking off some sides above them (Mt Waverley excluded of course).

Saw one of the most disgraceful acts on a football field yesterday when a Hallam player basically king hit a guy when running past him early in the 1st QTR. It was no where near the play and it was not in retaliation to any previous acts. He should never be allowed to play football again and I hope Hallam move him on as apart from that incident they played very well all day and don't need a player such as this guy bringing the club down. Does anyone know how the Black Rock player is?

Saw one of the most disgraceful acts on a football field yesterday when a Hallam player basically king hit a guy when running past him early in the 1st QTR. It was no where near the play and it was not in retaliation to any previous acts. He should never be allowed to play football again and I hope Hallam move him on as apart from that incident they played very well all day and don't need a player such as this guy bringing the club down. Does anyone know how the Black Rock player is?

Got the number of the Hallam player?

ROUND 9
5 THINGS TO KNOW
1. The battle was fought.. but the war is not over
Finally got to see Doveton first hand on Saturday and they were clinical.
If it wasn’t for a poor 3rd qtr by us, the result could’ve been in our favour.
But credit to Doveton, they applied very good pressure on us, making us do costly mistakes, every time they had possession they knew exactly where to go next...as I said...clinical.

2. Dandy still proving they are a premiership threat
Dandy are maintaining their good form and put to the sword a Lyndale outfit who outperformed us only 2 rounds ago.
Dandy have an even spread of talent across the ground which makes them dangerous, and a bit of fine-tuning of their game plan, and they will become very dangerous. But the season is a marathon and not a sprint, so let’s just wait and see.

3. 4 pts is 4 pts.. but Sandown better start stepping up a gear
I keep thinking Sandown are just going to flick a switch and take the competition by storm.. but when will it happen?
We are at the half-way point so let’s hope they can reassess where they are at and work out where they need to get to, to fulfil their preseason favouritism.
Full credit to Endeavour Hills who are starting to gel as a team and to lead after the first two breaks against a quality side, unfortunately for them, Sandown found another gear and took the points.
But it wasn’t a smashing and a fairly close game in the end, which they should be commended.

4. Carrum Patterson-Lakes starting to cement their spot
3 wins on the trot against the previous two Div 2 relegated sides and the preseason favourites.
Sitting 4th and 1 game clear of 5th (2 games clear into the top 5), and their only losses have been to the 3 teams above them, with 2 of those losses being under 25 pts.
Showing remarkable effort to really gel together quickly considering they are not only a new side, but a new club!
Be interesting to see if they can maintain this steady growth for the whole season.

5. The bottleneck towards the Final 5 really building up
Literally all Top 5 spots are still up for grabs.
Would be hard to see Doveton, Mount & Dandy get kicked out of the Top 5 on current form, but anything can happen in local footy with injuries and form never guaranteed.
Doveton sit on top undefeated coming off a hard fought victory against 2nd place Mount Waverley. They’ve conquered all before them and hard to see them slip from the top 2 spots.
We’re (Mount) shown good form all season, but 2 losses in a row does not sit well with us. We believe we have a good list and game plan in place to rectify this decline in form, but only time will tell.
Dandy have shown really good form and have a good list that will bode them well to have a crack at the premiership. Their only two losses have been to the 2 teams above them with an average loss of 16 pts (1 pt v Doveton & 32 pts v Mount).
In my opinion, I think Doveton, Mount & Dandy will be battling it out for the Top 2 spots and CPL, Lyndale, Sandown & Ashwood will be battling it out for 4th and 5th spot.
Still half a season to play and hopefully every club will do their best to maintain form and limit injuries.

Back