SFL Division 3 - 2013

Who will take out the 2013 Divison 3 Premiership

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The ground at Endeavour Hills is in great nick at the moment. So we can't even use that as an excuse.
and although the Falcons haven't performed on the field this year, we are not the only club. Probably like all clubs we have been hit buy injury, but our retention of our better players from last year wasn't great as we lost 6 from our B&F top 10.

Lets have a look at Sandown, played off in a Grand final last year and with out a miracle wont play finals this year. They were heavily touted and predicted as premiership favourites, but simply haven't lived up to the hype. Could it be that the SFL community have highly over rated their playing list, or have they reverted to the Sandown of 2008 or 2009, "Our ones aren't going to win a flag so lets load up the two's"

Black Rock, as a struggling division 2 side they have dropped down a division and like Caulfield, the year before they have struggled in division 3. Was it a case of lack of player retention, lack of recruiting or lack of talent.

Lyndale: A club that pumped up it's own tyres all preseason, a new coach, new assistant coach, star recruits, guys back form a stint away ;o) they have won 7 games and beaten 2 teams above them. That being said they were a winless side on 2012 so we cant be to critical.

Lastly Mount Waverley. A club that has won the last 3 reserve premierships, and played in 6 out of the last 8 senior GF? (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) has limped through the season, and I think would find themselves lucky to be sitting equal second. Like every year, they sell their own tickets as they try to push for a the ever elusive flag, but I think their window has well and truly shut and I predict and early exit come September time.

Ashwood has stayed on or abouts where their playing list is at. They would be preying for a dry finals series as their big men may struggle in the wet.

Hallam have improved a little bit. They were hammered in the off season with guys leaving but have stayed true playing the young kids and will be a better club for it in years to come.

Dandy have finally got their good players playing for the majority of the season. Some good recruiting has put them playing finals for the first time in years. I'm not sure weather they will trouble Doveton but if any one will, it will be them.

Carrum/ Patterson; have certainly surprised me. They have recruited well and thrown some money around (even though they say they don't) and have put themselves in equal second in their first year. With the area they are in, and the talent pool of players in the area, I don't see them being in Divy 3 for too many more years.

Doveton Eagles. Have thrown a decent amount of money around and recruited exactly what they need in order to win a flag. A gun ruckman (bully) very good midfielders (Brett Hidgcock and Enayte Samadi) and three star forwards (peter dye, ramma and nath Wilson) even through they are using nanga at CHB. I said it in preseason and i'll say it again now, I'll be shocked if the eagles don't walk away from this season with two flags. Their depth should carry them to a reserves flag, and their star power in the ones would almost win them a div 2 flag.

Please tell me how you know that Carrum have been throwing around money?

You sound like your from EH so you would have the experience to tell me how much money a first year club has to throw around? and you would know that the answer is 'not very much' or 'none at all' after affliation fees and other overheads.

Yes, we are under the umbrella of a successful sports club but they are a completely seperate entity and do not fund us.

I'll keep saying it, we do not pay players. Name any player on Carrums list and I can tell you without any hesitation that they are getting paid NOTHING to play for us and in saying that I can tell you that it has cost us $0 in player payments to get to equal second at this stage of the season.

Even our BOG each week doesn't get a cash reward...he gets the coveted CPLFC BOG Ring to wear for a week.

You are correct about the talent pool in our area, is does produce alot of talented local footballers and a few AFL footballers as well. You will find that our best players all live in Carrum or Patterson Lakes which is the real reason why they are playing for us. Either that or they are former Carrum Junior Footballers looking to return to their spirital home (such as myself) or they are mates with other players at the club.

i play 2s for sandown and i can tell you that we dont load up with senior players. we have had a pretty solid core of players for the last few years. this year has seen alot of young guys being recruited and also a few young guys getting senior footy that played in our thirds and fourths last year. while its been a disapointing season for us. a look at the results show alot of close games lost and a good foundation to build on. while we could go out and buy a flag, we are looking for something which is sustainable.

I noticed Jarrod Wilkin hasn't played since Round at 11. Anyone from Mt Waverley know when he is due back? Certainly one of the reasons they haven't gone as well in the back half of the season. Massive Loss

Can anyone from CPL comment on how Black Rock's ground was on Saturday? Saw it was a mudheap a few weeks back and was wondering whether the ground conditions had an affect on the results in both the Seniors and Reserves?

it is a very poor surface. it is by far the worst in Div 3.

In saying that the clubroom end is the worst, any part of the ground within 15m of the goalline was just ankle deep mud, the centre square was muddy as well but not as bad. There wasnt any surface water apart form the really really bad pocket you saw in the photo on the sfl website a couple of weeks back, but it wasnt that bad this time.

I wouldn't say it played an advantage to either side, only to the side who was kicking towards the other end.

If you look at the quarter by quarter scores for both games you will see that there is clearly an advantage kicking to the other end of the ground. In both games the team kicking to the other end kicked 4-5 goals and the team kicking towards the clubroom end kicked 1-2 goals.

Lyndale have a big 2 weeks ahead of them. I think Black Rock will knock off Ashwood this week so they will need to get over Mt Waverley to have a chance.

Endeavour Hills losing to Mount Waverly by only 26 points.......

This is a club who has been heavily scrutinised the entire season and have been on the end of some harsh calls.

26 points.......obviously when this club wants to play well they can (especially against a so-call premiership contender)

No excuses for Mount Waverly either who played on a decent ground on a perfect day !

it is a very poor surface. it is by far the worst in Div 3.

In saying that the clubroom end is the worst, any part of the ground within 15m of the goalline was just ankle deep mud, the centre square was muddy as well but not as bad. There wasnt any surface water apart form the really really bad pocket you saw in the photo on the sfl website a couple of weeks back, but it wasnt that bad this time.

I wouldn't say it played an advantage to either side, only to the side who was kicking towards the other end.

If you look at the quarter by quarter scores for both games you will see that there is clearly an advantage kicking to the other end of the ground. In both games the team kicking to the other end kicked 4-5 goals and the team kicking towards the clubroom end kicked 1-2 goals.

I think you are a little harsh Nos_4r2. After seeing it on Friday it was a terrible. I know that the league spoke to the council and a lot of work was completed. The ground was in remarkable condition considering. There was very little standing water. One pocket was still mud. Nothing can be down about centre turf wickets. Would have been in a lot better condition than Skye's ground which gets away with a swimming pool in the far pocket each winter. Or South Yarras crap hole.

I think you are a little harsh Nos_4r2. After seeing it on Friday it was a terrible. I know that the league spoke to the council and a lot of work was completed. The ground was in remarkable condition considering. There was very little standing water. One pocket was still mud. Nothing can be down about centre turf wickets. Would have been in a lot better condition than Skye's ground which gets away with a swimming pool in the far pocket each winter. Or South Yarras crap hole.

I have played on Skyes ground about 10-15 times for senior and junior footy over the last 15 years. Way back since Kananook Juniors became Kananook/Carrum Downs and then eventually Carrum Downs and moved all their games to Wedge Rd. I have played on South Yarras a couple of times. Black Rocks was worse. The ground has very little actual grass on it.

I may have exagerated a little bit looking at the photos of the game in regards to the amount of mud on the goalline, although there is still a far amount. There is a pic below from our facebook page, this pic was taken later in the day towards the end of the 1sts.

602018_704060222944655_1713484568_n.jpg

I saw Skyes ground as recently as 4 weeks ago when Carrum under19s played there. It was wet but no where near as bad as this.

Black rock defiantly has then worst ground in the league! Shocking facilities as well, no cover for away teams bench and change rooms the size of a shoe box.
Saying that if they did have more help from the local council, the ground would be in a lot better condition!

Black rock defiantly has then worst ground in the league! Shocking facilities as well, no cover for away teams bench and change rooms the size of a shoe box.
Saying that if they did have more help from the local council, the ground would be in a lot better condition!

I believe every club would rely on the support from their local councils so I feel for Black Rock and any other club that don't have adequate facilities. I am sure Black Rock do everything possible to provide the best hospitality they can with what they have available. Do they still serve food at half time of the seniors and give the visiting teams BOG an award?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe every club would rely on the support from their local councils so I feel for Black Rock and any other club that don't have adequate facilities. I am sure Black Rock do everything possible to provide the best hospitality they can with what they have available. Do they still serve food at half time of the seniors and give the visiting teams BOG an award?

No disrespect to the club at all, the state of the ground is not a reflection of the club, it is a reflection of the council to whom they pay ground leasing fees to take care of it. After seeing the ground I have no idea why the council backflipped on its plans to update reserves in the bayside area and instead give all the money to Sandringham FC who already have the money to do it themselves. The surface is atrocious and I cannot believe that they would rather spend a couple million on removing a few bumps out of Trevor Barkers 99.9% perfect surface rather then give a quarter of that to MacDonald Reserve that is in desperate need of a resurfacing and lights.

Politics at its bloody finest.

Wow what a round! Lyndale may have missed a great opportunity to sneak into the 5 after going down by the smallest of margins however still have a chance next week against Dandenong as their % is far superior than Ashwoods. How much % did Ashwood lose against Black Rock yesterday? Where did this result come from? Black Rock have been quite competitive the second half of the year. Look like Sandown were stiff against CPL. 7 more scoring shots and lose by 3 points. Would have made next week very interesting if they had of won.

I ventured down to carrum vs sandown yesterday. All I can say is that the game was there for the cobras to win, but couldn't get across the line

Sounds like a great day of footy down there with a draw in the twos as well.

I missed the 2s game, rocked up about 10 minutes into the seniors game. Makes for a big last round for lyndale, after they couldn't bring home the bacon. Black rock over Ashwood has been one of the big upsets this year.
Would hate for doveton to lose next week, to ruin their unblemished season.

Was at the mt waverly v lyndale game and there was a bit of confusion after the siren!
Lyndale marked the ball 60-65m out from goal, siren sounds, then mt waverly player looks to have run through the mark to celebrate win, umpire gives 50m penalty, scoreboard said lyndale only down by few points, lyndale kicks goal, thinks they have won, then goal umpires meet to say that scoreboard was wrong and mount win by point! Very unlucky to go that way! But was an entertaining match!

Was at the mt waverly v lyndale game and there was a bit of confusion after the siren!
Lyndale marked the ball 60-65m out from goal, siren sounds, then mt waverly player looks to have run through the mark to celebrate win, umpire gives 50m penalty, scoreboard said lyndale only down by few points, lyndale kicks goal, thinks they have won, then goal umpires meet to say that scoreboard was wrong and mount win by point! Very unlucky to go that way! But was an entertaining match!

Pretty sh!t form all around. Lucky it was on the siren. If it wasn't, and Lyndale thought based on scoreboard that the goal put them in front, the might consider putting numbers behind the ball, when in fact due to scoreboard error they are behind. It may also affect coaching decisions in dying minutes leading up to that shot at goal. Surely clubs can't be allowed to get away with errors as crucial as this.

And who runs through the mark after the siren? That's close to the stupidest thing I've ever heard happen in football.

Pretty sh!t form all around. Lucky it was on the siren. If it wasn't, and Lyndale thought based on scoreboard that the goal put them in front, the might consider putting numbers behind the ball, when in fact due to scoreboard error they are behind. It may also affect coaching decisions in dying minutes leading up to that shot at goal. Surely clubs can't be allowed to get away with errors as crucial as this.

And who runs through the mark after the siren? That's close to the stupidest thing I've ever heard happen in football.

That's right, things like that in any game can change how the game is being played!
Maybe bad maths and alcohol consumption just don't go together when doing something as easy as the scoreboard!
Mount did win fair and square but shouldn't have even come down to that unfortunately!

Yeah was very stupid!!! He did realise what he did straight away when the ump blew his whistle!

Wow what a round! Lyndale may have missed a great opportunity to sneak into the 5 after going down by the smallest of margins however still have a chance next week against Dandenong as their % is far superior than Ashwoods. How much % did Ashwood lose against Black Rock yesterday? Where did this result come from? Black Rock have been quite competitive the second half of the year. Look like Sandown were stiff against CPL. 7 more scoring shots and lose by 3 points. Would have made next week very interesting if they had of won.
I reckon Lyndale deserve to play finals. Been very competitive both times I've seen them this year. Ashwood seem to be limping home. Wonder if injuries are the cause?

Jim Stynes

I reckon Lyndale deserve to play finals. Been very competitive both times I've seen them this year. Ashwood seem to be limping home. Wonder if injuries are the cause?

hard to call this one. I want to agree, Lyndale have been fairly consistant all season, no blow outs, with the games they have lost only losing by 3-5 goals (apart from Dandy early in the season). In my opinion they have improved bit by bit as the season has progressed.

Ashwood on the other hand have not been so consistent, in the last 2 weeks they were done by almost 100 points against Doveton and lost to Black Rock by 10 goals. Although their last win was against Lyndale and it seems when these 2 teams play each other Ashwood has had the upper hand.

On current form I would say Lyndale deserve the spot, on a team vs team basis I would say Ashwood deserve the spot. But then again, if they both played each other again this week, I reckon Lyndale would get over them.

Jim Stynes

To me it looked as though it was Cossi who ran through the mark, obviously he was caught up in the excitement of the game. Scoreboard attendents were wrong all day which does not help the players at all but both benches knew what the final result was. Congrats to Mount who were able to kick a couple of vital goals into the wind.
It was a fantastic game of div 3 footy to be honest and one of Lyndales best performances for the year.

Back