Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (6) released 23/4

Long Term (1) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (4) :
• R13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 6 weeks (Was TBC)
• R12-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 5-7 weeks (Was 6-8 weeks)
• R11-13 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-6 weeks (Was 5-6 weeks)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (0) :

Test (1) :
• R7 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1 week (Was 1 week)

This.

I don't get how people can't see this is the main reason we've been crap, continuity.

Even with half the injuries we've had we'd be semi competitive

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's the issue, but I think it's the root causes we are arguing about. It feels like a combination of things:

-S&C capability declining due to covid soft cap cuts, becoming incompetent
  • Players getting older and bodies not holding up (due to travel, pushing into finals for years, change in facilities/training surface)
  • Coach letting standards drop

We're also hypersensitive to any injuries. It's common for draftees to have some injuries as they finish growing and for talls to have setbacks.

I'm 100% behind ruling OA and Hewett out for the whole of 2024.

Why rush them back?

Blood someone else

Bit extreme but I don’t mind the idea behind it. I’d be treating those who will be around for our next shot with kid gloves. Any problem - take time off. No point banging up eg Oscar just to get him on the park for absolutely every game possible.

Similarly with the older injury prone like Gov or Yeo I’d be regularly ‘managing’ them not only to maximise their useful games but also to allow more games for their replacements.

Why rush them back?

Blood someone else

Both are still in development period of their football. Any football they can play they should.

Are we just going to give our captain every second year off from now on?

That's the issue, but I think it's the root causes we are arguing about. It feels like a combination of things:

-S&C capability declining due to covid soft cap cuts, becoming incompetent
  • Players getting older and bodies not holding up (due to travel, pushing into finals for years, change in facilities/training surface)
  • Coach letting standards drop

We're also hypersensitive to any injuries. It's common for draftees to have some injuries as they finish growing and for talls to have setbacks.

Aging list completing the most travel at a time the soft cap was cut has definitely contributed.

Why rush them back?

Blood someone else

I would go one step further:

* Anyone expected to be Best 22 moving forward should have surgery if they are carrying a "50/50" injury.

Im sick and tired of the club nursing players through niggling issues in the hopes of getting them on the park, only for said players to then exacerbate the issue on gameday and miss significant periods of the season.

Oscar was known to have knee issues in the preseason, and he did it in within his first game of the season proper. Why was he put in that position? Why werent our medicos able to assess the issue earlier and say "this is probably better addressed with surgery than management"?

Ive read elsewhere in the thread that Oscar's scans "came back fine" after the Crows game - im really beginning to question if the medicos know what a "fine" scan looks like at this stage.

Last edited:

* Anyone expected to be Best 22 moving forward should have surgery if they are carrying a "50/50" injury.

Im sick and tired of the club nursing players through niggling issues in the hopes of getting them on the park, only for said players to then exacerbate the issue on gameday and miss significant periods of the season.

Oscar was known to have knee issues in the preseason, and he did it in within his first game of the season proper. Why was he put in that position? Why werent our medicos able to assess the issue earlier and say "this is probably better addressed with surgery than management"?

Ive read elsewhere in the thread that Oscar's scans "came back fine" after the Crows game - im really beginning to question if the medicos know what a "fine" scan looks like at this stage.
You don't sound familiar with who interprets scans. It aint the club Dr.

This is insane. It’s actually way off the deep end, loony toon town.

You don’t send players for surgery until you’ve explored all non-surgical options.

Firstly surgery is undesirable because it carries the risk of infection, which carries its own health risks.

Second, surgery is invasive and almost always has longer recover times than non-surgical alternatives.

Third, good luck finding a surgeon to actually perform surgery before trying non surgical options. Surgeons and Doctors have code of ethics, and performing unnecessary surgery before exploring non-surgical treatment would be unethical practice.

This is insane. It’s actually way off the deep end, loony toon town.

You don’t send players for surgery until you’ve explored all non-surgical options.

Firstly surgery is undesirable because it carries the risk of infection, which carries its own health risks.

Second, surgery is invasive and almost always has longer recover times than non-surgical alternatives.

Third, good luck finding a surgeon to actually perform surgery before trying non surgical options. Surgeons and Doctors have code of ethics, and performing unnecessary surgery before exploring non-surgical treatment would be unethical practice.
All for very very good reasons.

Both are still in development period of their football. Any football they can play they should.

Are we just going to give our captain every second year off from now on?
And the players out there need OA for their own development and confidence. When he is right of course, not rushing him back and using this as an excuse

We need Reid to be getting the ball in to OA, finishing off some chains so he can razzle up and see a future with this club. Otherwise its just heaping depressing s**t deeper all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the players out there need OA for their own development and confidence. When he is right of course, not rushing him back and using this as an excuse

We need Reid to be getting the ball in to OA, finishing off some chains so he can razzle up and see a future with this club. Otherwise its just heaping depressing s**t deeper all year.

Oscar comes out of contract as a free agent before Reid does.

I’d worry about making sure he can see a future at the club before worrying about Reid.

If scans came back clear, what do you want them to do? Not play him?
Yep 100%.

Given the issues we've had the last two years with reoccuring injuries, we should be extra cautious with anyone who has foot/knee/shoulder soreness or calf/hamstring tightness.

Put them through a full match simulation or limited WAFL minutes before allowing them to play AFL. No point rushing players back in while we are rebuilding.

Yep 100%.

Given the issues we've had the last two years with reoccuring injuries, we should be extra cautious with anyone who has foot/knee/shoulder soreness or calf/hamstring tightness.

Put them through a full match simulation or limited WAFL minutes before allowing them to play AFL. No point rushing players back in while we are rebuilding.

I find this really weird tbh. Players around the league play sore every week.

If we took this approach with Kennedy he would have played half the games he played for us.

If you’re deemed medically fit. You play.

I find this really weird tbh. Players around the league play sore every week.

If we took this approach with Kennedy he would have played half the games he played for us.

If you’re deemed medically fit. You play.
Fair enough.

As I mentioned, I only think we should be doing this because of the last two years of recurring injuries and the fact that we are rebuilding. Fully understand that it's part of the game when you are hunting a premiership.

Didn't like the look of that cramp reid had during the scratch match. We should probably send him into surgery just in case.
We should probably remove his knee and give him several seasons rest just in case. Load up for a 2030 premiership assault.

Fair enough.

As I mentioned, I only think we should be doing this because of the last two years of recurring injuries and the fact that we are rebuilding. Fully understand that it's part of the game when you are hunting a premiership.

It’s part of the game no matter where you’re at.

What kind of culture are you building if you give players an out whenever they are a bit sore?

That will permeate the club in all facets and come back to bite you!

Youre trying to build a culture of resilience, work ethic and determination.

Our medical team is crap, but hopefully Pyke is reviewing it also and makes some changes. Might not need a total overhaul but I'm sure he'll identify some weak links and turn em over.

Our medical team is crap, but hopefully Pyke is reviewing it also and makes some changes. Might not need a total overhaul but I'm sure he'll identify some weak links and turn em over.

Matt Innes has been there for about 4 months

Paul Turk started either just before or just after Christmas

Mark Kilgallon started late 2022

Those three head up our S&C/High Performance replacing staff who’d all been there for 10+ years

We’ve just had an overhaul and made significant changes to the way we train which if you listen to Pyke came with an accepted risk that some injuries would occur

Last edited:
It’s part of the game no matter where you’re at.

What kind of culture are you building if you give players an out whenever they are a bit sore?

That will permeate the club in all facets and come back to bite you!

Youre trying to build a culture of resilience, work ethic and determination.
That culture you're talking about seems to be working pretty well for us right now, doesn't it?

There's a big difference between playing out a game with an injury, and starting a game potentially injured. One is to be admired, the other is selfish...especially when we have young players in the wings who are ready to step in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back