South Australia v Western Australia at Glenelg (Mon-Thurs)

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened to Cullen Bailey anyway?

Cullen was playing for Sturt when he was borderline selection for South Australia. For a couple of years, he was continually picked for the Redbacks but was made 12th man on most occasions. In Adelaide games he was allowed to return to Sturt, but they were usually batting. When they did bowl, the Sturt pace attack were dominating and ripped through the opposition, Cullen rarely got a bowl.

For this reason, he elected to transfer to Glenelg and was made captain. He began to suffer the same fate with Glenelg's pace attack winning games, and a couple of years ago Glenelg won the flag. Cullen was always a good batsman, making runs as a tail ender for SA, three 50s with a H.S. of 91.

Basically, what happened was he was rarely bowling in match conditions and, as we all know, leg spinners need bowling, and plenty of it. I was watching Cullen at practice one night. When he first came on the scene, he bowled with a similar action to Richie Benaud, pushing through the crease and getting excellent loop and turn. When I saw him this particular evening, he was landing on the crease and not pushing through it. Someone had changed his action .... I have my theories who, but I refuse to speak ill of the departed.

Cullen is an intelligent man and one of nature's gentlemen. I am so disappointed he was never allowed the opportunities to develop.

Cullen was playing for Sturt when he was borderline selection for South Australia. For a couple of years, he was continually picked for the Redbacks but was made 12th man on most occasions. In Adelaide games he was allowed to return to Sturt, but they were usually batting. When they did bowl, the Sturt pace attack were dominating and ripped through the opposition, Cullen rarely got a bowl.

For this reason, he elected to transfer to Glenelg and was made captain. He began to suffer the same fate with Glenelg's pace attack winning games, and a couple of years ago Glenelg won the flag. Cullen was always a good batsman, making runs as a tail ender for SA, three 50s with a H.S. of 91.

Basically, what happened was he was rarely bowling in match conditions and, as we all know, leg spinners need bowling, and plenty of it. I was watching Cullen at practice one night. When he first came on the scene, he bowled with a similar action to Richie Benaud, pushing through the crease and getting excellent loop and turn. When I saw him this particular evening, he was landing on the crease and not pushing through it. Someone had changed his action .... I have my theories who, but I refuse to speak ill of the departed.

Cullen is an intelligent man and one of nature's gentlemen. I am so disappointed he was never allowed the opportunities to develop.

Was he the guy who used to roll up his sleeves so his arms were showing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back