Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the stooge really gave me the shits today, I wanted to listen to what Caro had to say on the matter and he just constantly shouted over the top of her much like last week like a fox news commentator (someone said that last week on here and I liked the analogy). Good thing is no amount of shouting by stupid will stop what the clubs deserve. He was bleating that Jay Weatherill should butt out and got shut down by elbows and caro that the government has poured over half a billion dollars into Adelaide Oval and he is more than entitled to have a say.

Glad I wasn't listening then, as said earlier, I hope the stoopid w***er is jobless by xmas.

Wow - with financial management skills like that, this Olsen fellow should be running the state!

Does he have a Hong Kong buyer for the $ANFL ?

I put up my hand to admit that I don't follow the figures as closely as others do but I'm skeptical that we will come out considerably better from these disputes. There may be some improvement but not enough to end this saga 'for once and for all' and position our clubs where they really should be. Tell me I'm under-estimating how far this resolution can go.

I still cannot fathom why the Government handed over this tax-payer stadium to a consortium of SACA and SANFL people knowing and understanding the history and behaviours of these organisations towards each other and that of the SANFL towards its AFL clubs. It is almost like the 'alternative' manner of thought in the new age of governance is to look like a 'good guy' by heaping a lot of trust on known scrooges.

I really would like to know what these figures are made up of. I think Rucci pulls figures out his arse and makes mistakes in his haste to get the story out. The 36K crowd and 32k members line makes no sense for example.

Those were the estimates Port provided when it moved to Adelaide Oval to make a $4m gain. Port made that $ gain but with actual average attendances of 44,364 and a membership of 55,715. It states those figures in the very next sentence after the estimated 36K crowd and 32K membership figures are mentioned.

This is the point that has been repeatedly made in the media, that Port achieved the financial uplift it expected but only on the back of much higher attendance and membership figures than it was predicting.

For mine Rucci mucked up with the article.

The review is not just about the money the SANFL takes from the pie but also includes the millions on top of that that SACA and the SMA take out of the pie before that.

RussellEbertHandball what is the difference between AFL membership included with season ticket sales and Membership income?
In other words, what is membership income?

I'll say it again - the SANFL does not want an outcome that shows how much they were fleecing off Port Adelaide through catering and pourage over the years. That uplift they are talking about was the direct result of our crowds being 10k higher than projected.

The last thing these *ers want is for Port Adelaide to be self sufficient, because that would make a mockery of their antagonistic attitude toward Haysman when he said the deal at AAMI was s**t. And then you'd have the problem of success breeding more success, sponsors going to Port instead of the Crows etc

That's why it's all confidential, and why it's taking so long. They're trying to figure out a bullshit way of creating a deal that gives us enough to be ok, but always reliant on AFL handouts.

The thing is, Fagan, and by extension Ricciuto, to his credit has backed the Crows in to be better than us without the need for handicaps. They've added another stumbling block to the SANFL, who can no longer snipe Port through the media about the money they gave us in 2011/2012. Notice how that came up early on, but hasn't be heard since? It's because we're no longer isolated, but are working with the Crows to get a fair outcome for both clubs.

It wouldn't surprise me if the negotiations are more about this years money and how it should be reallocated (because the deal was only ever meant to be temporary), and that the new deal is already done.

Bottom line is a better Oval deal will benefit us as will increased second tier sponsorship (remembering Kochie wants to quadruple that figure this year), full sale of corporate boxes (even better a waiting list so we can bump up prices) and of course increased member fees (which are coming).

Next year our bottom line should be much healthier.

The figures are all over the pages of today's Monopoly Times. Looks like we got around 3m less than the Crows and the SANFL made the biggest profit of the lot. Is it any wonder that we will record a loss?

Olsen's comment about not wanting to make the arrangement public just about says it all.

There is a glimmer of hope because Jay Weatherill has said he wants the football parties to work it out but reading between the lines it looks like the State Government will intervene if necessary. Rod Hook's comments about the make up of the SMA are also interesting as he wanted both AFL clubs represented on the SMA.

I put up my hand to admit that I don't follow the figures as closely as others do but I'm skeptical that we will come out considerably better from these disputes. There may be some improvement but not enough to end this saga 'for once and for all' and position our clubs where they really should be. Tell me I'm under-estimating how far this resolution can go.

I still cannot fathom why the Government handed over this tax-payer stadium to a consortium of SACA and SANFL people knowing and understanding the history and behaviours of these organisations towards each other and that of the SANFL towards its AFL clubs. It is almost like the 'alternative' manner of thought in the new age of governance is to look like a 'good guy' by heaping a lot of trust on known scrooges.

Exactly!

My problem is the SANFL has made more money at AO then they did at AAMI...AND they get to sell off AAMI as well. What exactly has this parasitic organization done to deserve this extra $4m? Did they pay for advertising? Promote the games? Pay any of the costs for staging those games? Say to the clubs "your presence in our league is easily worth 400k a year in interest, sponsorship and advertising, so you should only pay $250k each to play in it?" No..every single direction you turn, the SANFL is there to * the AFL clubs and prop up a league which should be developing premium talent but instead pays a premium for mediocre talent.

There's a line from Gladiator that seems appropriate: "The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end."

That day is fast approaching.

My problem is the SANFL has made more money at AO then they did at AAMI...AND they get to sell off AAMI as well. What exactly has this parasitic organization done to deserve this extra $4m? Did they pay for advertising? Promote the games? Pay any of the costs for staging those games? Say to the clubs "your presence in our league is easily worth 400k a year in interest, sponsorship and advertising, so you should only pay $250k each to play in it?" No..every single direction you turn, the SANFL is there to **** the AFL clubs and prop up a league which should be developing premium talent but instead pays a premium for mediocre talent.

There's a line from Gladiator that seems appropriate: "The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end."

That day is fast approaching.
I thought we were paying for our license?(which I thought we had already paid for years ago by the way?)Therefor what further should the SANFL have to do with anything.They are like the greedy manager who makes more than the rock star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom line is a better Oval deal will benefit us as will increased second tier sponsorship (remembering Kochie wants to quadruple that figure this year), full sale of corporate boxes (even better a waiting list so we can bump up prices) and of course increased member fees (which are coming).

Next year our bottom line should be much healthier.

This is why the timing of all this is so important. On our current trajectory, under the current arrangements, with the up lift in everything that will and should be expected next year, we'll probably be at break even point. We need to get this deal sorted now so that next year we bank a $3 million profit. That's why I stated in an earlier thread that I think the timing of this loss is brilliant strategically. If the $ANFL were smart, they would have given the Crows a $1 million profit and got us close to breaking even, then their rhetoric about us not selling all our corporate packages and our memberships being too cheap may have held a bit more water. With the uplift in 2015 we probably would have posted a decent profit (when we are close to full capacity), this would have all blown over until a couple of years down the track when the inevitable slide will come and we start posting losses again. But by then it would have all been too late, the deal would have been set in stone. You've proved you can make profits in the past blah blah blah. The $ANFL's greed and stupidity will be their ultimate undoing.

The Crows and Port are being shafted and everybody knows this, dead set shafted. Why do the SANFL need this money? well simply because without Port and the Crows they probably make no money at SANFL level - well maybe if they develop the land at West Lakes they can actually look after themselves for the next 100 years, instead of milking the two AFL clubs..

This is so 'Old Adelaide' - time for the Government to really step in and sort it all out, change the legislation and sort out this farce once and for all.

Interesting that Rucci came out with this - i'd say the pressure is mounting big time on the SANFL and they need to explain why they need all that money, they are a bunch of dead set crooks.

Yeah the stooge really gave me the shits today, I wanted to listen to what Caro had to say on the matter and he just constantly shouted over the top of her much like last week like a fox news commentator (someone said that last week on here and I liked the analogy). Good thing is no amount of shouting by stupid will stop what the clubs deserve. He was bleating that Jay Weatherill should butt out and got shut down by elbows and caro that the government has poured over half a billion dollars into Adelaide Oval and he is more than entitled to have a say.

Worth listening today at 3PM, Crowie will be in a right old filthy mood that these figures have been released, the SANFL can't NOT have a public discussion about it now. Olsen is a crook.

In the end the SANFL greed will bite them on the arse. Their was enough money for all three entities to get a bigger slice of the pie than the pre season projections but the SANFL wanted to play silly buggers. Both clubs knew what was going on early in the year and have watched it play out. The SANFL gave us our projected uplift, dollar for dollar, and not a cent more. They could have split the higher revenue between the three entities and everyone would have been happy.

Worth listening today at 3PM, Crowie will be in a right old filthy mood that these figures have been released, the SANFL can't NOT have a public discussion about it now. Olsen is a crook.

Lucky for me I'll be at work while his piss ant show is on so I won't be listening to it. The only reason I tuned in yesterday is because Caro was on, and she was going to talk about the stadium deal and the Paddy Ryder interview. His views will be the same he doesn't do research and even if he did the stadium deal is far too complex for him to understand anyway. Even if he understood that the SANFL were being greedy he would still back them to the hilt because he doesn't want things to change. For him ignorance is bliss and for everyone else its a pain in the arse.

My problem is the SANFL has made more money at AO then they did at AAMI...AND they get to sell off AAMI as well. ......
This :mad:

I wonder if Wrinkles will write another article for tomorrow's rag highlighting how greedy Poorts Powa are? :rolleyes:

This is why the timing of all this is so important. On our current trajectory, under the current arrangements, with the up lift in everything that will and should be expected next year, we'll probably be at break even point. We need to get this deal sorted now so that next year we bank a $3 million profit. That's why I stated in an earlier thread that I think the timing of this loss is brilliant strategically. If the $ANFL were smart, they would have given the Crows a $1 million profit and got us close to breaking even, then their rhetoric about us not selling all our corporate packages and our memberships being too cheap may have held a bit more water. With the uplift in 2015 we probably would have posted a decent profit (when we are close to full capacity), this would have all blown over until a couple of years down the track when the inevitable slide will come and we start posting losses again. But by then it would have all been too late, the deal would have been set in stone. You've proved you can make profits in the past blah blah blah. The $ANFL's greed and stupidity will be their ultimate undoing.

In the end the SANFL greed will bite them on the arse. Their was enough money for all three entities to get a bigger slice of the pie than the pre season projections but the SANFL wanted to play silly buggers. Both clubs knew what was going on early in the year and have watched it play out. The SANFL gave us our projected uplift, dollar for dollar, and not a cent more. They could have split the higher revenue between the three entities and everyone would have been happy.

Yep, this is it for me. The SANFL have made a fairly critical mistake in that they have put us in a position where we look like we are being absolutely shafted.

The SANFL could have taken a little less money and swum around in it like Scrooge McDuck, but instead they decided to take everything they felt they could get their hands on and left us to make a big loss and the Crows to break even. Now public opinion and media pressure is going to destroy them.

This loss is the loss we had to have to turn the stadium deal around. The SANFL could have ensured the gravy train survived a lot longer by giving up as Papa G said, 2 million to us to get us to break even an 1 million to the Crows, but their greed will come back to bite them.

is the figures Rucci quoting for the Sanfl net or gross?? because at footy park they would be gross.

if the SMA is supposed to be banker and only passes thru the net $$ then that $3.7mil up lift for the Sanfl is a bloody s**t load.

the clubs figures are basically gross as that would be membership and corporate revenue before expenses + match day recepts which would be net.

is the figures Rucci quoting for the Sanfl net or gross?? because at footy park they would be gross.

if the SMA is supposed to be banker and only passes thru the net $$ then that $3.7mil up lift for the Sanfl is a bloody s**t load.

the clubs figures are basically gross as that would be membership and corporate revenue before expenses + match day recepts which would be net.

I would say they are all gross - but the thing is, what real expenses do the SANFL have? The SMA runs the stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back