Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Trouble is $50,000 is from the White Marquee bar we run outside the ground.
That wouldn't even cover the normal working wage of most of the club board for the night.

I wonder what we are actually making, because seriously the bars and food outlets at our games have never been so busy, so we are not just getting people in, but they are spending BIG! We must be making decent profits from this stuff, surely.

I think I'd almost be at the point where I'd be a little worried if our performance, membership and crowd numbers wasn't getting us close to breaking even or making a club wide profit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anecdotal I know, but a mate and massive Port hater/Crows lover SMA member who goes most weeks reckons there is a very noticeable difference to what the Port crowd and Adelaide crowd consume at the Oval. Very noticeable. Wonder if we will ever see these figures? I've said it before, but getting a cut of the food and beverage will be huge for us.

Anecdotal I know, but a mate and massive Port hater/Crows lover SMA member who goes most weeks reckons there is a very noticeable difference to what the Port crowd and Adelaide crowd consume at the Oval. Very noticeable. Wonder if we will ever see these figures? I've said it before, but getting a cut of the food and beverage will be huge for us.
I know for a fact that in the old AAMI days, a Power crowd of 25k would spend equal to a Crows crowd of 35k. Guess they are more organised with their packed lunches and we are too busy buying overpriced hot dogs and warm beer...

lie, spin, spin, spin, spin

rinse and repeat.

Olsen would have a future in politics you'd think.....oh wait

He's such a shameless scumbag. "Risk". LOL! Neither the SANFL nor the SACA had to spend a cent on the place, the SACA had their substantial debt written off by the taxpayer, and the SANFL still has it's land at West Lakes. I've never seen a more low risk proposition for ANY "business", EVER.

Reckon this restaurant has money pit written all over it. Restaurants are bloody hard to make money from. Why would anyone want to go for a fine dining experience at the Adelaide Oval when there is not any sort of event on? Why?

Functions are where you make money. Mate of mine runs a restaurant in one of the wine regions, despite being busy most of the year, he reckons he barely breaks even, but makes his cream from weddings.

AO as a function centre understandably will work, as a fine dining restaurant, I think it's chances are minimal.

So when this loses money hand over fist, where will the money come from to bail it out? Not John Olsen's undoubtedly large salary I would assume.

lie, spin, spin, spin, spin

rinse and repeat.

Olsen would have a future in politics you'd think.....oh wait

I thought in the interests of good faith that the parties had agreed to not make public comments during the review??? Or is it only Port that can't say anything?

The quoting of overdrafts is ridiculous, they belong on the balance sheet. Whilst there will be finance (interest) cost to managing an overdraft it is the interest that ends up as a charge against profit. There's no need that be paid down immediately, nor should the tenants of the venue be forced to underwrite the training expenses of the staff that they may want to expense this year.

They are trying pay for start up costs from the bloated revenue that exists from the shiny new toy, revenue that only exists because people are attending to watch football clubs play.

I thought in the interests of good faith that the parties had agreed to not make public comments during the review??? Or is it only Port that can't say anything?

The quoting of overdrafts is ridiculous, they belong on the balance sheet. Whilst there will be finance (interest) cost to managing an overdraft it is the interest that ends up as a charge against profit. There's no need that be paid down immediately, nor should the tenants of the venue be forced to underwrite the training expenses of the staff that they may want to expense this year.

They are trying pay for start up costs from the bloated revenue that exists from the shiny new toy, revenue that only exists because people are attending to watch football clubs play.

Correct. What does staff training costs to deliver F&B of which the clubs get no portion of have to do with the AFL clubs anyway? Their revenue, their cost. Typical Olsen smoke and mirrors.

Just thought I'd quote this paragraph to re-emphasise it. It's not like they don't have their army of media lackeys and propagandists such as Cornes and Rowe doing it for them already anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back