Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

That's all true but there is still more trouble ahead, the SANFL competition and clubs will drop off again as a result of this - the finger will be pointed at Port - like it's not already, they will recall the glory days,ignorant of the fact that the world has changed.

Interstate recruits will dry up, the competition will have to cut its cloth accordingly, the afl will most likely waltz in a redefine the junior competition do it can keep feeding its pipeline of talented juniors for the draft but that will be the extent of the care that they will have. Community footy will suffer as a result, the afl's sole focus is on it.

I like you WRB, but you do sound a bit like Marty. Has "grass roots footy" collapsed in Victoria?

I like you WRB, but you do sound a bit like Marty. Has "grass roots footy" collapsed in Victoria?
Actually I think he is mostly right. SANFL is in a downward spiral since the AFL came to town.

They will co tinue to decline and they will continue to Blane Port. No big deal but there will be plenty more bad press to come for us.

Fortunately kids seem to like us when we annoy the old fuddy duddies :)

Actually I think he is mostly right. SANFL is in a downward spiral since the AFL came to town.

They will co tinue to decline and they will continue to Blane Port. No big deal but there will be plenty more bad press to come for us.

Fortunately kids seem to like us when we annoy the old fuddy duddies :)

A flag or 2 will make their tears even sweeter.

Your right about the kids though. Those that care about the SANFL are Atleast 40 plus. The Footy public at large care less and less every year. Grandpa Cornes will be dead or in a home soon, Rowe will get the sack sooner rather than later.

Everything is coming up Milhouse

Certainly not what it was - not even close, when I last played under your esteemed coach every club was coached by an ex afl player and most had 1-2 running around, now doughnuts, the VFL ain't a patch on the VFA and so on and so on. Afl is only focussed on filling its pipeline of talent - little else.

That's all true but there is still more trouble ahead, the SANFL competition and clubs will drop off again as a result of this - the finger will be pointed at Port - like it's not already, they will recall the glory days,ignorant of the fact that the world has changed.

Interstate recruits will dry up, the competition will have to cut its cloth accordingly, the afl will most likely waltz in a redefine the junior competition do it can keep feeding its pipeline of talented juniors for the draft but that will be the extent of the care that they will have. Community footy will suffer as a result, the afl's sole focus is on it.
So you mean the SANFL will have to stand on its own 2 feet and survive by bringing people into their own comp by being pro-active.

That's gonna hurt as they might have to get rid of a bit of fat out of the system.

Certainly not what it was - not even close, when I last played under your esteemed coach every club was coached by an ex afl player and most had 1-2 running around, now doughnuts, the VFL ain't a patch on the VFA and so on and so on. Afl is only focussed on filling its pipeline of talent - little else.
For mine there needs to be a decrease in the AFL salary cap and an increase in the cap for the state leagues. Say VFL, SANFL and WAFL being the second tier, Tas, minor states and some of the bigger country leagues third tier, etc.

There have to be different tiers as very few make it to AFL level but many give up all sorts of things to try and get there.
We keep hearing Premier league this and soccer that, but there are hundreds of tiers around the world for players that don't make the big time.

However that can only happen with an overarching body and not with one trying to be the king of the kids and the others recalcitrant brats trying to go one up on other state leagues.

Obviously there won't be a decrease in AFL wages but increasing the caps at different rates until a balance is reached could be achievable.

For mine there needs to be a decrease in the AFL salary cap and an increase in the cap for the state leagues. Say VFL, SANFL and WAFL being the second tier, Tas, minor states and some of the bigger country leagues third tier, etc.

There have to be different tiers as very few make it to AFL level but many give up all sorts of things to try and get there.
We keep hearing Premier league this and soccer that, but there are hundreds of tiers around the world for players that don't make the big time.

However that can only happen with an overarching body and not with one trying to be the king of the kids and the others recalcitrant brats trying to go one up on other state leagues.

Obviously there won't be a decrease in AFL wages but increasing the caps at different rates until a balance is reached could be achievable.
That is what should happen, but sadly it won't, the AFLPA won't let it, the AFL have little interest in second tier footy and even less below that other than filling the pipeline.

That is what should happen, but sadly it won't, the AFLPA won't let it, the AFL have little interest in second tier footy and even less below that other than filling the pipeline.
What we now refer to as AFL is almost at the stage where it is possible, all it needs is a few long term thinkers in the right place to get it off the ground.
It's probably up to the 3 main state leagues to start working towards that instead of competing with each other. Will take time to get there but it has to start from somewhere.

Not that many years back a national competition was seen as being impossible to achieve.

What we now refer to as AFL is almost at the stage where it is possible, all it needs is a few long term thinkers in the right place to get it off the ground.
It's probably up to the 3 main state leagues to start working towards that instead of competing with each other. Will take time to get there but it has to start from somewhere.

Not that many years back a national competition was seen as being impossible to achieve.
In utopia - for sure, but we are so far from there it is not funny, the afl will never give up enough cash for it to work. More than 50% of the club's posted million dollar plus losses, despite the billion dollar to rights deal, the sanfl will most likely lose its fta coverage with cuts to the abc, the Foxtel cup just fell over. Ordinary players are getting paid silly money to play low league footy - it simply can't continue. It's just like the tvn / sky channel war - a complete fools paradise. The money won't and cannot last some big adjustments to come.

In utopia - for sure, but we are so far from there it is not funny, the afl will never give up enough cash for it to work. More than 50% of the club's posted million dollar plus losses, despite the billion dollar to rights deal, the sanfl will most likely lose its fta coverage with cuts to the abc, the Foxtel cup just fell over. Ordinary players are getting paid silly money to play low league footy - it simply can't continue. It's just like the tvn / sky channel war - a complete fools paradise. The money won't and cannot last some big adjustments to come.
For mine it will happen but it will not happen any time soon and not all at once.

It will happen in steps and by the looks of it the AFL will probably end up running the whole show, rather than an overarching body, and for mine that will be a pity, but it will happen.

For mine it will happen but it will not happen any time soon and not all at once.

It will happen in steps and by the looks of it the AFL will probably end up running the whole show, rather than an overarching body, and for mine that will be a pity, but it will happen.
The AFL looks to America for all its new ideas. What is 2nd tier and community NFL and NBA like in the US? What is their big focus on?

Answer those questions you know where the afl is heading and it isn't what you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you sure about that? the SACA I mean? The world was a very different place in 1990. VFL clubs still played out their own bog holes. Waverley was being used for Grand Finals. The Great Southern Stand hadn't been built yet. Etihad hadn't even been thought of, West Coast were playing out games at the WACA, the Bears were using ATCO huts at Carrara. Footy Park was actually considered a pretty decent venue.

In 1990 the PAFC approached the SACA to play at Adelaide Oval as we could not get Football Park which was owned by the SANFL. The SACA knocked us back. I was pretty close to some of the people making the decisions back then and I was told the biggest stumbling block to our 1990 bid was not having access to a stadium that would hold 30,000. There were only two such venues, Football Park and Adelaide Oval. The irony is that twenty years later the SACA were the instigators of moving AFL football to Adelaide Oval.

In 1990 the PAFC approached the SACA to play at Adelaide Oval as we could not get Football Park which was owned by the SANFL. The SACA knocked us back. I was pretty close to some of the people making the decisions back then and I was told the biggest stumbling block to our 1990 bid was not having access to a stadium that would hold 30,000. There were only two such venues, Football Park and Adelaide Oval. The irony is that twenty years later the SACA were the instigators of moving AFL football to Adelaide Oval.

The PAFC approached the SACA amidst the acrimony of our rogue bid. Had the AFL leveraged the SANFL and approached the SACA if only as a competitive bluff, well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back