Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we oppose both?

You sure can.

I am waiting for similar cognitive parsing as was employed in the Brandis thread, when I posted about proposed legislation.

Also: See also anti terror laws that send you to jail for 5 years for 'liking' ISIL's facebook page.

It seems that the 'libertarians' and right wingers in here only vocally disapprove laws that constrain freedom of speech when that law stops them from saying bad things about brown people. When laws are put in place to stop people saying things supporting brown people, the silence is deafening.

It seems that the 'libertarians' and right wingers in here only vocally disapprove laws that constrain freedom of speech when that law stops them from saying bad things about brown people. When laws are put in place to stop people saying things supporting brown people, the silence is deafening.

Shrill.

Also: See also anti terror laws that send you to jail for 5 years for 'liking' ISIL's facebook page..

Good. Anyone idiot enough to like ISIL has just identified themselves as a likely terrorist threat.

The issue is stealing confidential information, but you knew that right?

You should try doing that at your workplace and see how it pans out.

Last edited:

Good. Anyone idiot enough to like ISIL has just identified themselves as a likely terrorist threat.

The issue is stealing confidential information, but you knew that right?

You should try doing that at your workplace and see how it pans out.
No it isn't.

The journalists are not being charged, merely harassed using the law as a cover.

Its bullying, conducted by the state to intimidate reporters and organisations into self censorship

BTW, if the law applies to so called special operations, which include government sanctioned illegality I would hardly call it theft. They would be providing a public service

But hey, you are a chearleader for the security state

No it isn't.

The journalists are not being charged, merely harassed using the law as a cover.

Journalists getting squeezed to reveal their sources.... of information that could only have been gathered illegally. Been happening for decades. Like I say, try pinching sensitive info from your workplace some time and see how it plays out. Go on.

The Brandis free speech debate is a million miles from this.

Last edited:
No they aren't. They are getting squeezed to reveal their sources.... of information that could only have been gathered illegally. Like I say. Try pinching sensitive info from your workplace some time and see how it plays out. Go on.
Really?

You don't know that at all. Much of the information has not been leaked illegally and is not a national security issue. It also indicates wrongdoing hence leaks are in the public interest.

Like I said, the legislative changes were not meant to apply in such circumstances and that scope creep was inevitable

It is about suppressing the media, bulling journalists and scaring off people willing to speak out or supply information

Libertarian.

I propose banning this term.

No-one really knows what it means, posters just skew it to their way of thinking.

Freedom of the press is unimportant and anti democratic government stomping is ok, as long as your own partisan politics remain undisturbed

This isn't about the freedom of the press or anti democratic government or any of the other wild labels you are trying to pin to it. Its about stealing confidential information from an employer. Thats it.

This isn't about the freedom of the press or anti democratic government or any of the other wild labels you are trying to pin to it. Its about stealing confidential information from an employer. Thats it.
No it isn't. The information isn't and shouldn't be confidential.

These are public employees acting on behalf of joe public

The only reason for the lack of acess is to cover up wrongdoing under the guise of national security, despite conditions in detention not being an issue of national security

Much of the information that has been released has been done so legally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Journalists getting squeezed to reveal their sources.... of information that could only have been gathered illegally. Been happening for decades. Like I say, try pinching sensitive info from your workplace some time and see how it plays out. Go on.

The Brandis free speech debate is a million miles from this.
Doubt that a workplace would signify 'public interest', which is what the journalists are reporting on.

Last edited:
Government constantly refers to people in detention as being 'illegals' and as such will not be resettled in Australia.

The people are claiming asylum due to fear of their lives and that is why they made the dangerous journey to Australia.

After investigation of their claims, some are being offered settlement in PNG, Nauru or Cambodia.

Given that they are being offered resettlement, does this mean that some are 'genuine' asylum seekers?

If that is the case, why then are they not given asylum in Australia?

Why pay Cambodia $40 Million for what may less than 5 refugees taking up the offer?

What budget emergency?

Any asylum seeker refusing to accept PNG citizenship is quite clearly not a genuine refugee claiming asylum due to fear of his life but a cashed up economic migrant who has paid a people smuggler huge sums of money for Australian citizenship and is now engaged in the emotional blackmail in a last ditch attempt to get it. The only option provided should be to return home if not satisfied.

Meanwhile unheralded and unsung the first two A/S to accept PNG citizenship have been transferred to a transit facility where they will receive language and cultural training while waiting for employment opportunity.

Since one is reportedly an engineer (Iranian) and one a human resources manager (Pakistani) their job prospects would seem to be good.
All will depend on their acceptance by the locals of course - but if the first two work out then more will follow.

Last edited:
Of course you would Maggie. But if you were country shopping then you wouldn't be a genuine refugee genuinely fleeing your homeland in fear of your life would you?

Country shopping = choosing your country of asylum. Genuine refugees don't have this right. Your parents didn't, they had to rely on Australia inviting them.

Or perhaps you could post the link to where the UN convention states that asylum seekers get to country shop, Maggie?

You saying Australia didn't have to give approval to your application?
Your family just rocked up in the boat at Station Pier one day like a people smuggler client? No legal travel docs approved by Oz Wow.

You saying Australia didn't have to give approval to your application?
Your family just rocked up in the boat at Station Pier one day like a people smuggler client? No legal travel docs approved by Oz Wow.
Really tired of your games, you know what I am saying.
Will say one thing though, just for you and others like you.
Only documents we had were the ones we completed in the camp as we didn't have any other documents when my family left.
No birth certificate, no passport, obviously no drivers licence, nothing, ziltch. So it does happen.

Really tired of your games, you know what I am saying.
Will say one thing though, just for you and others like you.
Only documents we had were the ones we completed in the camp as we didn't have any other documents when my family left.
No birth certificate, no passport, obviously no drivers licence, nothing, ziltch. So it does happen.

The docs you completed in camp would have been the ones used as the basis of travel docs like laissez-passer that would have enabled your family to get approval from Australia and then get on the boat to come here.
You came as invited/approved migrants from refugee camp - the emphasis on invited/approved.

Of course it happens that refugees leave camps without identification. But only people smuggler clients come to Australia illegally by boat uninvited, unapproved and then only if they have access to serious amounts of cash - unlike your family, who came legally.

Last edited:
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...il&utm_term=0_673b6b002d-65bd72e179-302701245

People are starting to remember why they found the Pacific Solution so distasteful in the end, and hopefully we can start to have discussion on a sustainable and more compassionate immigration policy.

What sort of brain surgeon swallows a razor blade? More importantly who put him up to it and why, how is it that the likes of the guardian and ABC are mysteriously always on hand to encourage I mean report it?

Boats have stopped we are slowly working through the backlog = sustanable and compassionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back