List Mgmt. Swans Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Very similar story to Jesse White really. Had some talent but his confidence was taking a hit when he was dropped after one poor game. Young lads will play a stinker every now and then. It's up to the coaching staff to determine if dropping them will improve them in the long term or not. Yes it will probably make the side better in the short term by dropping the young player lacking in confidence but ultimately it may hurt more in the long run as they miss out on that developmental opportunity.

Likewise with switching developing players between positions at the elite level can be the making or breaking of players. Some guys will thrive on playing a heap of roles others will get lost and stagnate. I believe if you are going to throw a player around for development into that swingman role you don't do it over a season. You play Reid as a Fwd for a season or two. Then as a backman for a season or two. Then throw him in as a pinch hitting ruck for a season or two. Ultimately those 3-6 years will expose him to each position with enough focus each time to really learn something. If you play Reid for 5 games fwd, then switch him back for 5 games he's missing out on focusing himself to really learn each role and immerse himself in developing that part of his game. At the end of the day however each person is different, perhaps he's the kind of person that can't sit still too long and needs a new challenge every so often to maintain his interest and dedication? Who knows really. What I do know is, just as LRT did, Reid could become very very important in the clubs future if he can get this swingman thing going. Structurally I don't think there's a more useful and valuable role in the team as a player that can cover multiple positions (maybe not superstar level but well enough) when called upon. Particularly in an emergency or from a tactical point of view.

I like the idea of being to switch him back if things are getting tight but I feel he is a player that needs structure and a role. He does the kick behind the game loose in defence quite well but that is always a stop gap when things get rough. As a KD I am not sure he would be much good. He doesn't seem to have the mongrel a defender needs to be a really top player. I think he needs to have a very clear role in the forward line. I would make him CHF, Tip FF, Buddy roaming in the gloaming, Goodes FP & benny at their feet. When Tip goes into ruck Buddy at FF. That works for me.

Very similar story to Jesse White really. Had some talent but his confidence was taking a hit when he was dropped after one poor game. Young lads will play a stinker every now and then. It's up to the coaching staff to determine if dropping them will improve them in the long term or not. Yes it will probably make the side better in the short term by dropping the young player lacking in confidence but ultimately it may hurt more in the long run as they miss out on that developmental opportunity.

Likewise with switching developing players between positions at the elite level can be the making or breaking of players. Some guys will thrive on playing a heap of roles others will get lost and stagnate. I believe if you are going to throw a player around for development into that swingman role you don't do it over a season. You play Reid as a Fwd for a season or two. Then as a backman for a season or two. Then throw him in as a pinch hitting ruck for a season or two. Ultimately those 3-6 years will expose him to each position with enough focus each time to really learn something. If you play Reid for 5 games fwd, then switch him back for 5 games he's missing out on focusing himself to really learn each role and immerse himself in developing that part of his game. At the end of the day however each person is different, perhaps he's the kind of person that can't sit still too long and needs a new challenge every so often to maintain his interest and dedication? Who knows really. What I do know is, just as LRT did, Reid could become very very important in the clubs future if he can get this swingman thing going. Structurally I don't think there's a more useful and valuable role in the team as a player that can cover multiple positions (maybe not superstar level but well enough) when called upon. Particularly in an emergency or from a tactical point of view.

Like WC used Hunter. Every time they were losing they'd throw him forward and he'd kick them out of the hole. Plan B options abound with a good swingman.

B: Heath Grundy, Ted Richards, Nick Smith
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Sam Reid, Dane Rampe
C: Gary Rohan, Isaac Heeney, Harry Cunningham
HF: Lewis Jetta, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Kieren Jack, Mike Pyke, Luke Parker
Foll: Kurt Tippett, Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn
I/C: Adam Goodes, Tom Mitchell, Zak Jones
Sub: Brandon Jack

Needs more Craig Bird

This is a seriously god team - and Rohan, Lloyd, Cunningham have another season under their belts.
Much to look forward to.

I suspect we will see a little more mongrel in a number of players this year.

HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Sam Reid, Lewis Jetta
C: Gary Rohan, Isaac Heeney, Dean Rampe
HF: Harry Cunningham, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
Sub: Jack Hiscox/Hewett

My oly change from other sides is the sub. Line breaking subs are just so much more valuable. These plodding subs killed us all year.

HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Sam Reid, Lewis Jetta
C: Gary Rohan, Isaac Heeney, Dean Rampe
HF: Harry Cunningham, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
Sub: Jack Hiscox/Hewett

My oly change from other sides is the sub. Line breaking subs are just so much more valuable. These plodding subs killed us all year.

B: Harry Cunningham, Ted Richards, Nick Smith
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Gryndy, Lewis Jetta
C: Gary Rohan, Tom Mitchell, Dean Rampe
HF: Adam Goodes, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Ben McGlynn, Kurt Tippet, Luke Parker
Foll: Mike Pyke, Josh Kennedy, Keiran Jack
I/C: Sam Reid, Issac Heeney, Craig Bird
Sub: Jack Hiscox/Hewett/Towers/Jones

used yours as a template and moved a few around.

B: Harry Cunningham, Ted Richards, Nick Smith
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Gryndy, Lewis Jetta
C: Gary Rohan, Tom Mitchell, Dean Rampe
HF: Adam Goodes, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Ben McGlynn, Kurt Tippet, Luke Parker
Foll: Mike Pyke, Josh Kennedy, Keiran Jack
I/C: Sam Reid, Issac Heeney, Craig Bird
Sub: Jack Hiscox/Hewett/Towers/Jones

used yours as a template and moved a few around.

Bird is the interesting one. My view is he is literally first cab off the rank with an injury. But I wouldn't go near him as a sub. Just feel Zac Jones has learnt his spot more this pre season so he starts over Bird.

Bird is the interesting one. My view is he is literally first cab off the rank with an injury. But I wouldn't go near him as a sub. Just feel Zac Jones has learnt his spot more this pre season so he starts over Bird.

Yet Bird played on Friday Night, Jones didn't - so Jones hasn't learnt or proven anything yet over or beyond what Bird has

Yet Bird played on Friday Night, Jones didn't - so Jones hasn't learnt or proven anything yet over or beyond what Bird has

Lol meant to say 'earnt'. Just view that if Bird isn't tagging I don't see the need to do that. However that's not to say I'd be disappointed if he were picked. Just not as a sub!

didn't have him as sub.

I know was just making a general point. Bird as sub was the single most stupid idea of 2014 and it cost us big time. No more this Bird as sub thing Horse had going on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defenders: Smith, Grundy, Rampe, TRichards, McVeigh, Rohan, Jetta, Shaw
Midfielders: Kennedy, Parker, KJack, Hannebery, McGlynn, Bird, Mitchell, Heeney, Cunningham
Forwards: Buddy, Tippett, BJack
Ruckman: Pyke
Sub: Goodes

Interesting that a lot of you guys have Llyod outside of your 22, I thought after last year's performances he'd done enough to wiggle his way into your 22. Would have thought he'd be in the side over Shaw and possibly Cunningham (Jake and Harry are quite similar players).

Interesting that a lot of you guys have Llyod outside of your 22, I thought after last year's performances he'd done enough to wiggle his way into your 22. Would have thought he'd be in the side over Shaw and possibly Cunningham (Jake and Harry are quite similar players).
If it is any consolation he is in mine.

Our best ball users go (IMO) Franklin > Lloyd > Harry > Daylight > The Pointer > Jetta > Daylight > Throw a dart

It is quite embarrassing actually.

I am a big Lloyd fan and will love seeing him with 50 games and 5 kg's on the frame.

Harry is pretty much our tagger now, and a very good one, and once he learns to grab a bit more pill and make his tag do some work the other way he will be fantastic. The signs are there and 50 games will be an interesting review point.

Both those kids have their spot to lose in my books and while they are similar players they play different roles. Plenty of room in the side for them both.

Too many midfielders, not enough midfield.

Hard to narrow down who should play.

I'd be happy to let the remaining GF 21 redeem themselves.
- Tmitch in for Malceski.
- McVeigh, Reid and maybe Cunningham to play back more.
- Shaw and Goodes to play as sub a lot throughout the regular season.
- Get plenty of games into Heeney, Jones, Nankervis, Towers, BJack.
- I'd love Hiscox and Abe Davis to get a taste of the action too.

actually forgot about him, oops. So many mid players.

Defence

Ted Richards and Heath Grundy demand spots due to lack of competition. Nick Smith is our best small defender. Dane Rampe has done enough to be picked ahead of the others in the back 6. That leaves 2 spots for the half backs and I have left McVeigh in the midfield for now. Rhyce Shaw was named one of our best in the grand final and gets one of the spots.

One defender will also be picked on the bench, as we always take 7. I have considered what is lacking from the currently selected 5: speed, defence against tall forwards, and kicking skills. Contenders for the last spots are Laidler, Jetta, Reid and Rohan.

Laidler provides defensive accountability and a good kick.
Reid provides defence against tall forwards.
Jetta provides speed and good kicking skills.
Rohan provides speed.

I've gone for Reid and Jetta for those reasons. I'm worried that Jetta is too defensively weak, but Rohan is also questionable, and kick-outs were such a massive issue that we gain a lot from having him there.

Forwards

We typically only pick 5 genuine forwards at most. Franklin, Tippett and Goodes walk in when fit as our 3 top goalscorers. Tippett is expected to play as 2nd ruckman as well.

Contenders for the final 2 spots: Cunningham, McGlynn, Lloyd, Towers, Rohan, BJack, Robinson, Heeney

Cunningham and McGlynn are the standouts there. They were the highest goalscorers last year and also provide strong pressure. They also ranked the highest out of these players for goal assists. Towers is able to play that Cunningham role also. Robinsons has been talked up without pause all preseason, and could feature here too.

Midfield

12 players picked so far, plus we need a ruckman and I've allowed 1 spot for a utility. That leaves 8 midfielders.

First our top 3 clearance and contested midfielders are picked, that has to be the foundation. Kennedy, Jack, Parker.

Jarrad McVeigh and Dan Hannebery get spots as 2 of our better balanced midfielders. I've put Hannebery on a wing, where he is best.

Contenders for the final 3 midfield spots:
Tom Mitchell
Jake Lloyd
Craig Bird
Isaac Heeney
Brandon Jack

Based on our weaknesses last year, we need the best clearance player we have available - that's Mitchell, followed by Bird. Lloyd is predominantly an outside player who ranked very low for contested ball and clearances. Heeney is well balanced. Jack would also play predominantly outside, behind our stronger inside mids.

I've taken the strongest inside player - Mitchell, and the strongest outside player - Lloyd. With now 4 strong clearance players, plus Hannebery and McGlynn who were good last year, I feel the last spot should also go on someone who can play outside. I've gone with Heeney who I feel is a better choice than Jack.

Utility

Gary Rohan

Some of the players left over:
Craig Bird
Dean Towers
Jeremy Laidler

These 3 players will play pretty much all of the year, as there are always some players unavailable.

The inevitable tears will be over Bird (see how I put my midfield together, and he is behind those players in clearance ability). But he'll play pretty much all games.

B: Shaw, T Richards, Smith
HB: Jetta, Grundy, Rampe
C: Hannebery, K Jack, Lloyd
HF: Cunningham, Franklin, Parker
F: Goodes, Tippett, McGlynn
R: Pyke, Mitchell, Kennedy
Int: Reid, McVeigh, Heeney, Rohan

Last edited:
If only AFL lineups were supposed to look like this:

Midfield:
Midfield:
Midfield:
Midfield:
Midfield:
Midfielders pretending to be HF:
Midfield:

Defence
Ted Richards and Heath Grundy demand spots due to lack of competition. Nick Smith is our best small defender. Dane Rampe has done enough to be picked ahead of the others in the back 6. That leaves 2 spots for the half backs and I have left McVeigh in the midfield for now. Rhyce Shaw was named one of our best in the grand final and gets one of the spots.

One defender will also be picked on the bench, as we always take 7. I have considered what is lacking from the currently selected 5: speed, defence against tall forwards, and kicking skills. Contenders for the last spots are Laidler, Jetta, Reid and Rohan.

Laidler provides defensive accountability and a good kick.
Reid provides defence against tall forwards.
Jetta provides speed and good kicking skills.
Rohan provides speed.

I've gone for Reid and Jetta for those reasons. I'm worried that Jetta is too defensively weak, but Rohan is also questionable, and kick-outs were such a massive issue that we gain a lot from having him there.

Forwards

We typically only pick 5 genuine forwards at most. Franklin, Tippett and Goodes walk in when fit as our 3 top goalscorers. Tippett is expected to play as 2nd ruckman as well.

Contenders for the final 2 spots: Cunningham, McGlynn, Lloyd, Towers, Rohan, BJack, Robinson, Heeney

Cunningham and McGlynn are the standouts there. They were the highest goalscorers last year and also provide strong pressure. They also ranked the highest out of these players for goal assists. Towers is able to play that Cunningham role also. Robinsons has been talked up without pause all preseason, and could feature here too.

Midfield

12 players picked so far, plus we need a ruckman and I've allowed 1 spot for a utility. That leaves 8 midfielders.

First our top 3 clearance and contested midfielders are picked, that has to be the foundation. Kennedy, Jack, Parker.

Jarrad McVeigh and Dan Hannebery get spots as 2 of our better balanced midfielders. I've put Hannebery on a wing, where he is best.

Contenders for the final 3 midfield spots:
Tom Mitchell
Jake Lloyd
Craig Bird
Isaac Heeney
Brandon Jack

Based on our weaknesses last year, we need the best clearance player we have available - that's Mitchell, followed by Bird. Lloyd is predominantly an outside player who ranked very low for contested ball and clearances. Heeney is well balanced. Jack would also play predominantly outside, behind our stronger inside mids.

I've taken the strongest inside player - Mitchell, and the strongest outside player - Lloyd. With now 4 strong clearance players, plus Hannebery and McGlynn who were good last year, I feel the last spot should also go on someone who can play outside. I've gone with Heeney who I feel is a better choice than Jack.

Utility

Gary Rohan

Some of the players left over:
Craig Bird
Dean Towers
Jeremy Laidler

These 3 players will play pretty much all of the year, as there are always some players unavailable.

The inevitable tears will be over Bird (see how I put my midfield together, and he is behind those players in clearance ability). But he'll play pretty much all games.
B: Shaw, T Richards, Smith
HB: Jetta, Grundy, Rampe
C: Hannebery, K Jack, Lloyd
R: Pyke, Mitchell, Kennedy
Int: Reid, McVeigh, Heeney, Rohan
See, I rate Bird over Mitchell, Heeney & Lloyd. Real mongrel, tough in the clinches, tags like a ferret,
images

He also knows where the goals are.

Surely everyone loves a fit bird. (fnarr fnarr)
images

Just watched the two NAB games again. Yeah, i know, pre-season etc...

But.. Towers and Rohan were both very good. They get to good places, they have speed, and they generally chose the right disposal option. They'll only get better with experience.

Shaw, on the other hand, looks to have lost a bit of pace. Every time he gets it he looks under pressure, and he is starting to develop a Priddis-like knack of finding the team-mate under the most pressure and giving them the ball. He used to have the pace to give him time to sum up his options, and make the right decision. That speed has dried up a bit and as a consequence his decision making is suffering. At 182cm he's also too small to cover most of the bigger-bodied mids who rest forward.

Rohan offers a lot more, and while he's not as good defensively one-on-one with a similar sized player, he will get better with experience, and can already play on a wider range of players than Shaw.

So...
B: Rampe, Richards, Smith,
HB: Jetta, Grundy, Rohan
C: McVeigh, Jack, Hannebery
R: Pyke, Kennedy, Mitchell
I/C: Reid, Bird, Lloyd, Towers (Heeney stiff... first drop if injury strikes).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back