List Mgmt. Swans Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, besides Nankervis earlier in NAB the class of 2013 ND has been rested from all games. Could it be load management for the players in their second pre-season?

Because, from my observations I thought a few of those guys were close. Probably time to rethink the pecking order.

Last edited:
My crazy conspiracy theory is that they weren't picked because they are behind the players we chose. The coaching staff were extremely clear about their intentions to develop their strongest team, and they picked the best players who weren't injured.

I thought I'd have a crack. It's harder than I thought

B. Grundy, Richards, Smith
HB. Rampe, Reid, Jetta,
M. Hannebery, Parker, McVeigh
HF. Bird, Franklin, Lloyd
F. McGlynn, Tippet, Rohan
Foll. Pyke, Kennedy, Jack
Int. Towers, Mitchell, Cunningham
Sub. Heeney

Emg. Goodes, Laidler, Shaw

I'm sure people will criticize me for having Goodes as an emergency and while I know he'll play a role for us throughout the year, and was one of our best in the GF, I just feel he's getting on a bit and doesn't seem to work as hard as he needs to when we don't have the ball. If you watch him chase when the ball is coming out of our forward line, he doesn't seem to put as much pressure on as a Towers/Rohan/Cunnigham does.

It hurts me to leave him out of best 22. Absolute champion.

I thought I'd have a crack. It's harder than I thought

B. Grundy, Richards, Smith
HB. Rampe, Reid, Jetta,
M. Hannebery, Parker, McVeigh
HF. Bird, Franklin, Lloyd
F. McGlynn, Tippet, Rohan
Foll. Pyke, Kennedy, Jack
Int. Towers, Mitchell, Cunningham
Sub. Heeney

Emg. Goodes, Laidler, Shaw

I'm sure people will criticize me for having Goodes as an emergency and while I know he'll play a role for us throughout the year, and was one of our best in the GF, I just feel he's getting on a bit and doesn't seem to work as hard as he needs to when we don't have the ball. If you watch him chase when the ball is coming out of our forward line, he doesn't seem to put as much pressure on as a Towers/Rohan/Cunnigham does.

It hurts me to leave him out of best 22. Absolute champion.

Did you watch the NAB game? He's still got it. Much more valuable sub than Heeney IMO. Can't see him being an emergency tbh.

Did you watch the NAB game? He's still got it. Much more valuable sub than Heeney IMO. Can't see him being an emergency tbh.
Agree. Goodes will finish the year up as the "super-sub"

Which NAB game? I watched all 3 very closely! And to be honest I would not use any one of them in my argument for Goodes over Heeney. You could possibly make an argument for Goodes, but the NAB cup isn't going to help you with that argument. Compare them in the 2 games they've played together. I understand they play different roles so it's hard but we'll just look at disposal efficiency and tackles which gives a fair indication of how hard they work without the ball and how well they use it which are both super important.

Vs GWS. Heeney was hands down better in this game.
Goodes - 11 disposals @ 54% efficiency. 4 marks, and 0 tackles to go with his 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s and 1 goal.
Heeney - 13 disposals @ 83% efficiency! 5 marks and 5 tackles to go with his 1 clearance, 4 inside 50s and 2 goals

Vs Freo. I would call this one even. Goodsey's first run and Heeney's second run in a higher pressure game that was half played in the wet.
Goodes - 9 disposals @ 55% efficiency. 2 marks and 1 tackle to go with his 1 clearance and 2 inside 50s
Heeney - 13 disposals @ 38% efficiency. 2 marks, 2 inside 50s and 2 tackles to go with his 2 clearnces, 2 inside 50s and 1 goal.

Heeney has made steady improvement in every game he has played. He is ticking all the right boxes and doing all the right things. I understand that at this stage of the year, they just want to get some run into Goodes' legs, but there were some signs in his game from last year as well. I love Goodes (obviously) and definitely think he will play an important role for us throughout the year, I just think his defensive game is below where it needs to be and some blokes have gone past him. Having said that, he needs to play finals because he knows what it takes and you get a special kind of Goodes!! As for being a more valuable sub than Heeney...I think he'll be wearing a red vest more than a green vest this year.

Which NAB game? I watched all 3 very closely! And to be honest I would not use any one of them in my argument for Goodes over Heeney. You could possibly make an argument for Goodes, but the NAB cup isn't going to help you with that argument. Compare them in the 2 games they've played together. I understand they play different roles so it's hard but we'll just look at disposal efficiency and tackles which gives a fair indication of how hard they work without the ball and how well they use it which are both super important.

Vs GWS. Heeney was hands down better in this game.
Goodes - 11 disposals @ 54% efficiency. 4 marks, and 0 tackles to go with his 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s and 1 goal.
Heeney - 13 disposals @ 83% efficiency! 5 marks and 5 tackles to go with his 1 clearance, 4 inside 50s and 2 goals

Vs Freo. I would call this one even. Goodsey's first run and Heeney's second run in a higher pressure game that was half played in the wet.
Goodes - 9 disposals @ 55% efficiency. 2 marks and 1 tackle to go with his 1 clearance and 2 inside 50s
Heeney - 13 disposals @ 38% efficiency. 2 marks, 2 inside 50s and 2 tackles to go with his 2 clearnces, 2 inside 50s and 1 goal.

Heeney has made steady improvement in every game he has played. He is ticking all the right boxes and doing all the right things. I understand that at this stage of the year, they just want to get some run into Goodes' legs, but there were some signs in his game from last year as well. I love Goodes (obviously) and definitely think he will play an important role for us throughout the year, I just think his defensive game is below where it needs to be and some blokes have gone past him. Having said that, he needs to play finals because he knows what it takes and you get a special kind of Goodes!! As for being a more valuable sub than Heeney...I think he'll be wearing a red vest more than a green vest this year.

The difference is I don't think it's Goodes OR Heeney. In your team I'd drop Reid, move McVeigh to HB and have Heeney start with Goodes as sub, or vice versa. Or I'd even drop Mitchell for Heeney - but for me Goodes being in or Heeney being in isn't dependent on the other not playing.

The difference is I don't think it's Goodes OR Heeney. In your team I'd drop Reid, move McVeigh to HB and have Heeney start with Goodes as sub, or vice versa. Or I'd even drop Mitchell for Heeney - but for me Goodes being in or Heeney being in isn't dependent on the other not playing.

Fair enough. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were getting at Goodes over Heeney being the only change you'd make.

I think Reid needs a run down back. Put him behind the ball and back him to do a job rather than just floating around roaming the ground. He's got all the attributes to be a very very good key defender which is what we need. I just think we need to back him and let him settle down there.

Fair enough. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were getting at Goodes over Heeney being the only change you'd make.

I think Reid needs a run down back. Put him behind the ball and back him to do a job rather than just floating around roaming the ground. He's got all the attributes to be a very very good key defender which is what we need. I just think we need to back him and let him settle down there.

I agree he has the attributes. I just don't know how long we can carry an unconfident Reid tbh.

I agree he has the attributes. I just don't know how long we can carry an unconfident Reid tbh.

He's not going to gain any confidence if he's getting injured and being played in different positions every week.

I'm with dangle on Goodes. In fact putting it out there - I think shaw more likely to finish the season in the ones than Goodes. I know that's a pretty unpopular position but I think he makes us structurally unbalanced - too top heavy and too slow defensively and he just isn't a kpp as a forward. He remains a very good clearance player and inside forward fifty he may well be our most damaging player. So I'd be starting him.

But I haven't liked what I have seen so far - I think he has lost more agility and pace than shaw has - once he is going. I think he is still plenty quick but he doesn't burst away from contests as he used to and he runs past a lot of contests playing like a small crumbling forward, rather than the guy who will win his own ball.

It was very similar with rok last year. He could still win his own ball but he killed us on the spread - players just ran off him at will - and from what I have seen this is happening now with Goodes. It's less damaging because it is happening a long way up the field but when Tippett is back and it's two players inside forward fifty who get run off creating loose players everywhere, I don't think it will work.

I'm with dangle on Goodes. In fact putting it out there - I think shaw more likely to finish the season in the ones than Goodes. I know that's a pretty unpopular position but I think he makes us structurally unbalanced - too top heavy and too slow defensively and he just isn't a kpp as a forward. He remains a very good clearance player and inside forward fifty he may well be our most damaging player. So I'd be starting him.

But I haven't liked what I have seen so far - I think he has lost more agility and pace than shaw has - once he is going. I think he is still plenty quick but he doesn't burst away from contests as he used to and he runs past a lot of contests playing like a small crumbling forward, rather than the guy who will win his own ball.

It was very similar with rok last year. He could still win his own ball but he killed us on the spread - players just ran off him at will - and from what I have seen this is happening now with Goodes. It's less damaging because it is happening a long way up the field but when Tippett is back and it's two players inside forward fifty who get run off creating loose players everywhere, I don't think it will work.

I don't disagree with you, players were running off him last year. Will be interesting how the coaches uses him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes gets round 1, I hope he is still there come finals but that will come down to output. I think his good games vs bad will be there to see and we will manage him throughout the year so he's fit at the business end.

15 games for goodsey this year with a role to play come sept

Our 22 is going to be bloody hard to pick. Even more so the 30 or so players who will be pulling on the jumper this season.

Longmire will make mitchell or bird sub round 1 someone slow and a non impact player

You don't reckon either one of those players can make an impact? While I don't personally think they are the ideal subs, I'd back Horse whatever he does. He seems to know what he is doing getting us to a Semi, Premiership, Prelim, Grand Final in his 4 years as coach.

You don't reckon either one of those players can make an impact? While I don't personally think they are the ideal subs, I'd back Horse whatever he does. He seems to know what he is doing getting us to a Semi, Premiership, Prelim, Grand Final in his 4 years as coach.

He has got the sub wrong more often than not imo

He has got the sub wrong more often than not imo

I don't disagree with you, I just think he probably has a better idea of what he is doing than any of us.

I also found it interesting that you referred to Mitchell and Bird as 'non-impact' players....

Birdy says 'WTF did I do wrong ?'

Bird is in my 22 for round1. Don't know what your talking about. I have him on the bench because he would be in the second mix. Mixing the experienced players with say Mitchell, Heeney etc in the centre square.

I don't disagree with you, I just think he probably has a better idea of what he is doing than any of us.

I also found it interesting that you referred to Mitchell and Bird as 'non-impact' players....

I think bird is a good player, but he does not have the flair or pace to impact in a short period of time, give him a job for four quarters and he will do it

Mitchell to me is an in and under player who is a bit to slow to be an impact

again just a view (i hate the sub rule by the way) but ideal sub types at sydney are guys like

- rohan- see that eagles game a few years back- he is not an accumulator by any means, but can run and carry, break the lines and make a quick impact in 10-20 minutes

-jetta - because of pace

- Goodes- i could see him as a super sub, because i felt he faded in and out anyway give him even a half as an early sub to inject some brilliance

- buddy- but why the hell would you but technically he could come on and literally turn a game

Or yeah lloyd, cunningham, you know young spare midfielders

its a s**t rule

I think bird is a good player, but he does not have the flair or pace to impact in a short period of time, give him a job for four quarters and he will do it

Mitchell to me is an in and under player who is a bit to slow to be an impact

again just a view (i hate the sub rule by the way) but ideal sub types at sydney are guys like

- rohan- see that eagles game a few years back- he is not an accumulator by any means, but can run and carry, break the lines and make a quick impact in 10-20 minutes

-jetta - because of pace

- Goodes- i could see him as a super sub, because i felt he faded in and out anyway give him even a half as an early sub to inject some brilliance

- buddy- but why the hell would you but technically he could come on and literally turn a game

Or yeah lloyd, cunningham, you know young spare midfielders

its a s**t rule
DW, the way the AFL are going, in ten years there will be 2 subs and an interchange cap of 20. Interchange cap is worse than the sub rule

But I agree with Goodes. Will be the sub come round 17-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back