Strategy Taylor Adams - MUST NOT BE NEXT CAPTAIN

Remove this Banner Ad

Its hard one, on one hand you can see how much he wants to be skipper, how much it means to him and how much it'll validate his decision to join Collingwood.

On the other, for all of those reasons you could argue they are enough to not give him the captaincy. Because he tries so hard, it's almost as if his on field suffers.

At the end of the day, it needs to be a decision that the best for Collingwood. Personally, from what I have seen, I wouldnt be appointing him as skipper - but I only see 2.5hours of him during a game.

Its hard one, on one hand you can see how much he wants to be skipper, how much it means to him and how much it'll validate his decision to join Collingwood.

On the other, for all of those reasons you could argue they are enough to not give him the captaincy. Because he tries so hard, it's almost as if his on field suffers.

At the end of the day, it needs to be a decision that the best for Collingwood. Personally, from what I have seen, I wouldnt be appointing him as skipper - but I only see 2.5hours of him during a game.

Good post all round. The bold bit is especially relevant here. There is more to being a skipper than just running out & tossing a coin. The players will vote & the club will ratify it. It's not our call, which is a bloody good thing.

Adams value to the team cannot be questioned, he is a bull who goes to places others around him think twice about going to ,he goes by his instinct, that instinct is to win the ball at all cost, no matter the pain, no matter what is coming his way,he will cop that punishment for his team, his team mates and his club,he is fearless, he is a leader , the one thing he needs to address, is his limitations, and that is trying to pin point passes, he is not a Pendlebury or Darren Jarman, if he can get his mindset around that and re~set how he distributes the ball, we will all see better results to make us appreciate how good he is , this is where the coaching staff need to direct him .

Adams value to the team cannot be questioned, he is a bull who goes to places others around him think twice about going to ,he goes by his instinct, that instinct is to win the ball at all cost, no matter the pain, no matter what is coming his way,he will cop that punishment for his team, his team mates and his club,he is fearless, he is a leader , the one thing he needs to address, is his limitations, and that is trying to pin point passes, he is not a Pendlebury or Darren Jarman, if he can get his mindset around that and re~set how he distributes the ball, we will all see better results to make us appreciate how good he is , this is where the coaching staff need to direct him .
Spot on ,if he was able to do that then he would be a very good captain

Agree with the above. His disposal and decision making often frustrate the t1ts off me - but his endeavour and leadership can't be questioned.

For me, the question is around the timing of the next skipper. Do they give one more year to Pendles to help with the transition into a new senior coach or do we change both coach and captain and clean slate start to 2022?

Moore 100%

I much prefer a backline captain - sees the game ahead of them

Is he vocal enough though? Seems like more of an introvert to me, although he'd definitely lead from the front out on the ground. Can't really see him giving an inspirational rev up at three quarter time in a tight game...

Is he vocal enough though? Seems like more of an introvert to me, although he'd definitely lead from the front out on the ground. Can't really see him giving an inspirational rev up at three quarter time in a tight game...
He was credited with generalling our backline all of last season, and was widely recognised as becoming more vocal. Also promoted to the leadership group, so players think highly of his leadership skills

'A mans got to know his limitations'... I think this is the nub of his problem. He is trying so hard for the team and his mates that he over reaches himself. He often telegraphs his next move and opponents can read the signs. He could do worse than take a close look at Joel Selwood (yeah yeah all snide remarks aside, a very good captain) and Travis Boak (I still think of him as the Port captain, no idea who it is now)... they both demonstrate the same intense desire that Taylor does yet they work within their limitations, do the basic things right and rarely stuff-up.

He's going at 66% disposal efficiency with 6 clangers per game this season. (2020 64% disposal efficiency)

I think you need a captain to have composure on field, be a good front person for the team as well as having the requisite football skills and be someone the players admire.

Moore is my pick - right age for a rebuilding team under the tutelage of a new coach. Excellent player and spokesperson too

Grundy could likely also fill the role quite well. All-Australian and quite articulate.

Adams wouldn't be my choice for the reasons many here have identified. Tries his arse off, but I think the captaincy would be detrimental to his performance. He needs to relax more and be more composed.

Crisp - if people worry about Tay being a ball-butcher, then I think it excludes Crisp as well on the same basis. Consistently poor disposal and decision-making. Not sure he is a leader to inspire others, but obviously a popular club man, gets on the park regularly and takes in younger players

Maynard - I think his performances would suffer if made captain. Can blow up when he makes a mistake and captaincy would exacerbate that. Not a suitable front man either.

DeGoey - really pleased his playing consistency has improved but he is not captain material with regular fronting the Courts - this isn't NRL.

Howe and Sidey - too late in their careers for mine. I'd rather rebuild our team and have a captain there for the long haul. Capable deputies/support as senior players

I think you need a captain to have composure on field, be a good front person for the team as well as having the requisite football skills and be someone the players admire.

Moore is my pick - right age for a rebuilding team under the tutelage of a new coach. Excellent player and spokesperson too

Grundy could likely also fill the role quite well. All-Australian and quite articulate.

Adams wouldn't be my choice for the reasons many here have identified. Tries his arse off, but I think the captaincy would be detrimental to his performance. He needs to relax more and be more composed.

Crisp - if people worry about Tay being a ball-butcher, then I think it excludes Crisp as well on the same basis. Consistently poor disposal and decision-making. Not sure he is a leader to inspire others, but obviously a popular club man, gets on the park regularly and takes in younger players

Maynard - I think his performances would suffer if made captain. Can blow up when he makes a mistake and captaincy would exacerbate that. Not a suitable front man either.

DeGoey - really pleased his playing consistency has improved but he is not captain material with regular fronting the Courts - this isn't NRL.

Howe and Sidey - too late in their careers for mine. I'd rather rebuild our team and have a captain there for the long haul. Capable deputies/support as senior players

Excellent appraisal. Moore by the length of the Flemington straight for mine.

Howe if we need someone to hold the spot for a year or 2 until a younger player steps-up. Sidey is not a leader's backside.

Another poster had mentioned Mihocek. If Moore (or Grundy) don't want it he could be a forward line version of Maxwell. Humble, polite, with a team-first attitude and has had to wait longer than most to earn his chance on the big stage.

This page has so many good points, my original post was heated and written at half time.

Some people here defending Taylor are missing the point.

It's not about 1 bad game.

It's the kind of player he is. While he has improved his kicking slightly the last 2 seasons (technique wise, maybe not DE % wise) he is still very limited.
And it's not even his disposal, it's ALSO his decision making.

The captain can't be someone that panics with the footy.

Taylor is one of the most ferocious inside mids I have ever seen, A++ elite status.

My main point is - It would truly be a severe detriment to what the team can become having the captain also be the number one momentum killer.

The captains I love playing for were those that bled for the club (on and off) and where there was absolutely no questioning their attitude or intent. These guys were not always the most talented players nor were they always the most level-headed. I won't to know that the guy leading the charge is 100% committed to giving his all and will inspire those around him to give their best at all times, especially when things seem their most dour. Do you want someone who is technically perfect and soulless or someone who is human, but inspiring?
To that end, I would be happy enough with Tay being promoted to Captain. I think Moore would make a good candidate but not just yet. I'm not sure that Grundy is skipper material either. Jeremy Howe has displayed enough on and off field to warrant a serious consideration. Maynard is there abouts but has not yet achieved the maturity required to lead a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

… or maybe it just highlights that many of us fans don’t have a good understanding of what good leadership is.

Many of us seem to be thinking “Gee, Taylor Adams would make a bad Scott Pendlebury!” (and also seem to be thinking “Gee, Korda is doing a very bad job of being Ed”)

Consider that one of the best captains the club has had within living memory was Nick Maxwell who was nothing like Scott Pendlebury.

I think Maxwell was a better captain, probably the best since the Shaws. Pendles has become a good captain though, an on field coach.

So who takes over? I'd like it to be Moore but is he durable enough to lead the field on the park?

Whoever it should be needs to be on the park most weeks, Sides? Well he's 30, how much longer can he go around to be skipper? Not to mention he hasn't had the same durability in his last 2 to 3 years.

Reckon the cupboard is bare for a skipper to both be there and be the skipper that the team needs.

This page has so many good points, my original post was heated and written at half time.

It's the kind of player he is. While he has improved his kicking slightly the last 2 seasons (technique wise, maybe not DE % wise) he is still very limited.

Taylor is one of the most ferocious inside mids I have ever seen, A++ elite status.

My main point is - It would truly be a severe detriment to what the team can become having the captain also be the number one momentum killer.

And this is a very good point.

We cant go form someone who uses the ball like Pendles to someone who uses it like Adams.

It's a interesting discussion and I think both sides of the argument are valid. The most important question is, who do the players want to be led by?

Personally I feel like the title of captain is just a bit of tokenism. A good team has multiple leaders.

There's a lot more to being a worthy captain than on field ability. Look at Nick Maxwell, not the most gifted player but he was a exceptional captain/leader and now he is at the club in another leadership role doing great things from what I hear. Taylor is one of the hardest trainers at the club, communicates well, tough as they come, at the bottom of every pack winning the hardball etc.

the skipper matters,
remember when your skipper ran through a pack and fed off ball without fear, it lifted you.
i imagine its the same at any level, inspirational acts.
important decision, players call not some suit with an ipad.
Can’t trust the players with such a decision.
Todays Captain is also the on field coach, as the runners role has been restricted. The Captain has to implement the game plan, as the coach no longer has that ability in game.
The players are likely to choose whichever teammate gets the most drink cards at the local pub.

I’m reading all the reasons that Adams should be Captain. And for me, it just doesn’t add up.
I look at Captains of other clubs, particularly the successful ones, and I cannot see anyway that Adams would be classed in the same category.
I suppose that’s an indictment on the football club for not recruiting anyone with the required skill set to lead.

Can’t trust the players with such a decision.
Todays Captain is also the on field coach, as the runners role has been restricted. The Captain has to implement the game plan, as the coach no longer has that ability in game.
The players are likely to choose whichever teammate gets the most drink cards at the local pub.
ok then, whatever you reckon.
im still involved in footy at a lower level and even our players are more focused on team performance than gaining beer tickets. Stupid comment

Maynard so that we can have a hothead who can be the captain who gave away the most 50’s.

Interesting that for all the attention Tay receives for his perceived poor disposal efficiency on the weekend past against Hawthorn he had the most number of effective disposals - 24 (30 @ 80%). DeGoey, who receives no such criticism had 22 (28 @82%) whereas Sidebottom only had 16 (23 @72%).
The attention Tay receives here may be a little unfair, and it is certainly unbalanced compared to others, on those numbers....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back