Strategy Taylor Adams - MUST NOT BE NEXT CAPTAIN

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that for all the attention Tay receives for his perceived poor disposal efficiency on the weekend past against Hawthorn he had the most number of effective disposals - 24 (30 @ 80%). DeGoey, who receives no such criticism had 22 (28 @82%) whereas Sidebottom only had 16 (23 @72%).
The attention Tay receives here may be a little unfair, and it is certainly unbalanced compared to others, on those numbers....
Not really, he's running at 65% for the last 2 years, 80 is an anomaly.

Can’t trust the players with such a decision.
Todays Captain is also the on field coach, as the runners role has been restricted. The Captain has to implement the game plan, as the coach no longer has that ability in game.
The players are likely to choose whichever teammate gets the most drink cards at the local pub.
Like Scott Pendlebury?

Not really, he's running at 65% for the last 2 years, 80 is an anomaly.

Inside clearance mids are commonly in that 65-75%DE.

Oliver 70%, Boak 71%, Danger 68%, Bont 69%, Lyons 65%, Hopper 67%, Wines 68%, Cripps 70%, Neale 74%, Cunnington 70%, Libba 71%.

Adams at 66% is at the bottom end of the spectrum but the outliers are guys like Macrae 76% and Petracca 61%

Oliver 70%, Boak 71%, Danger 68%, Bont 69%, Lyons 65%, Hopper 67%, Wines 68%, Cripps 70%, Neale 74%, Cunnington 70%, Libba 71%.

Adams at 66% is at the bottom end of the spectrum but the outliers are guys like Macrae 76% and Petracca 61%
Really interesting that Bont is only 1% better than Danger. Have always felt that Bont hits the target a lot less often than commentators make it out to be

Interesting that for all the attention Tay receives for his perceived poor disposal efficiency on the weekend past against Hawthorn he had the most number of effective disposals - 24 (30 @ 80%). DeGoey, who receives no such criticism had 22 (28 @82%) whereas Sidebottom only had 16 (23 @72%).
The attention Tay receives here may be a little unfair, and it is certainly unbalanced compared to others, on those numbers....
But he also had 8 clangers in that game. He leads the AFL in clangers per game.
We he makes a mistake, it’s a huge one and Collingwood pay for it.

I don’t blame Dom Sheed or the umpires for costing us the 2018 grand final. If you are going focus on a pivotal moment, it was that Adams turnover that had the biggest impact in costing us the game.

Adams is a poor speaker. He comes across like he’s got a loose screw upstairs. I’d hate to see him Captain.
Moore or Grundy would make great Captains.

Bottom end battler, where have I heard that before? Blue collar working class club worked for us back in the 30's, but won't work in the next 30's, 16.6% strike rate in Grand Finals this Millennium tells the tale, we always get done by that bit of class. We need to make up our minds as a club and decide if we are blue collar or blue chip.

* I remember being excited when Ed and Mick teamed up to turn the club into a Man U or Dallas Cowboys, but the truth is we never shed working class mentality and always fall back on it, and it shows up in every area of the club including recruiting, I mean was Mayne really the classy icing on the cakewalk?

Last edited:
Adams already has the job in my book. Leads by example and puts his body on the line at every contest. I'd follow Taylor into battle. I'm surprised anybody would put up the names of Sidebottom and DeGoey. DeGoey will never be a captain and Sidey shouldn't be after his "WilliamstownWalk" last year. Still, the Club deemed him leadership material in spite of this. That was a clear sign of the decay within.

Its Maynard for me, with more midfield minute (on the outside). Just loves what he brings to the table each week. My only concern is that while that endeavour looks good to me, the supporter, he might not have the right leadership qualities required for the playing group. Ultimately the captain role should go to someone who is more than just a skillful player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And where is Adelaide on the ladder? Perhaps their position is a reflection of the speaking power of their captain?

So the Crows are cellar dwellers because Walker was their captain?

Having watched the game they must be using a very loose definition of what is an "effective" disposal is all I'm going to say on the matter.

Have you ever listened to Taylor Walker?
Yes, never a suitable captain.
May be a capable player but very 'loose' in his thinking (or lack of ability to) and a poor communicator.
As a leader, should have stood up as a leader against the Camp but did not. Set them back a few years

What is a captain?

Someone who has leadership qualities, someone that others can follow, someone that sets high standards and has high standards, someone that others look up to for guidance.

There are many more qualities that a captain must have but these are the main points.

Taylor Adams can not, must not be the next captain after Scott Pendlebury.

Taylor Adams has been and still is one of our worst decision makers and one of our lowest skilled players, every single week.

A captain has a cool head and is calm in intense situations.

This is not Taylor, he is panicky with his decisions and when he makes a decision (most of the time a horrible decision) he rarely executes.

Don't get me started with list management either, let me just get this off my chest and push it hard so that maybe the incompetent managers at the top get a sniff that we as supporters, we as stake holders (that's what being a member is), we need to be heard and our opinion is often more right than wrong.
We live the club, we watch every game and watch closely the development of young players, we understand players better than Management think we do, we see the players mannerisms out on the field, we understand players mentalities, capabilities and we collectively know what is best for the club.

Taylor would be a sickingly horrible choice as next captain.

It must be someone who is calm and someone that others consistently depend on.

Grundy or Moore, even De Goey, I would have these 3 ahead of Taylor.

Steele is ok too but he would only be captain for 2 maybe 3 seasons.

I would choose Grundy, captain for 7 years +
I can remember other captains with not great skills.

s**t post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back