Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he stays. A very important player and we are a worse team with him not in it. If it's driven by him and it's what he really wants, it's hard to stand in his way though. Is his reason for wanting to go to Sydney about what he does after football? Or is it that he wants to play solely midfield and get a longer contract?

As a team we cant keep still and we cant do mates rates - its a tough sport with tough decisions, I'm all for moving ppl (outside the untouchables) on as longer as it benefits us.

For the record, my untouchables are:

Moore
IQ
Naicos
Crisp
Hill
Moore
Maynard
JDG
Josh D..

I’d add McCreery, I think he‘s going next level, massive year for him coming. IMHO.

*Disclaimer, I have been wrong before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good business from all 3 parties depending on the trade result, but the purist in me wanted to see him get the flag he deserved.

From a list management standpoint the play is obvious to stagger that drop and get good value for a 30+ guy, but like MK I can’t see any way Macrae and Carmichael will cover the hole. I’d be chasing Sheldrick and although Wines sounds nice in theory it takes us from slow to treacle because Adams was deceptively quick.
If he drastically improves his tank over the offseason I reckon McInnes could be a natural fit.

Problem with Adams in that role is he's a natural inside midfielder not a natural forward. With McInnes we have the opposite, and as long as he can go through the midfield at times to give Mitchell a chop out, he could be the right candidate here.

would have to be on minimal coin

Would be silly to offer him similar money to what's he has been on with his history
He doesnt have a history. His durability is okay, he played 23 games this year and I would back our fitness staff to get the best out of him. We should at least offer two years to im with an option for three if he plays say 35+ matches. I would only trade him if we got big overs.

This from HS

Collingwood vice-captain Taylor Adams’ desire for more midfield time could see him seek a trade to Sydney next week, with the Swans eager to add his leadership and contested-ball winning talents to their young on-ball brigade.
Adams, 30, was one of the heartbreaking stories of the Magpies’ premiership success, having missed the club’s last two finals due to a hamstring strain.

But a series of key meetings in the coming days will determine where Adams will play his football next season.

He has fielded strong interest from the Swans to make him part of their 2024 midfield core, where he could reunite with his former Pies teammate Brodie Grundy, who will head to the Harbour City in a trade.

Adams will meet with Collingwood coach Craig McRae and general manager of football Graham Wright within the next 48 hours to discuss his future.

He will travel to Europe on Sunday, but is expected to conduct an online interview with Swans officials early next week before making a final decision on his future.

He still has one more season left on his current Collingwood contract, but the Swans could potentially offer more security for Adams in any deal for 2024 and beyond.

The Swans are a low contested possession team and will be missing midfielder Callum Mills for the early part of the 2024 season after his recent mishap, so securing Adams in a trade could help to alleviate some of those concerns.

He has worked successfully with Grundy in the past and the Swans believe the experienced pair can play a huge part in boosting the club’s midfield stocks, along with the inclusion of Melbourne premiership player James Jordon, who joins the club as a free agent.

Adams is one of Collingwood’s most popular players, playing 175 of his 206 games with the Magpies. He would have played in last Saturday’s grand final if he had not been injured.

He played a selfless role at half forward for much of this season, with his leadership playing a part in the Magpies’ push deep into September.

Adams won credit for ruling himself out of the grand final on the Tuesday before the clash with Brisbane, knowing he wasn’t 100 per cent right to play, and for supporting teammates on an emotional grand final day.

A trade to Sydney could be a win-win scenario for all involved.

It would mean the Swans would have access to a player they believe can help them push deep into the finals next year after bowing out in the elimination final to Carlton this year, while it would also provide more opportunities for young Magpies including Fin Macrae and Ed Allan.

It would also free up a more permanent forward line slot for Jack Ginnivan.

Adams faces an agonising decision as he balances his genuine investment in the Magpies’ group alongside his desire to play his more natural crash and bash midfield role.

He has endured a challenging past few seasons, missing key games in the past two finals series with groin and soft-tissue injuries. But, leaving aside his finals injury this year, he did manage an equal career-best 23 games in 2023, playing in an unfamiliar defensive half forward role.

How does he not make Collingwood a better side?
Sydney obviously consider he could be the key to push them over the line. Him and Grundy.
A lot like Ball and Jolly were for us in ‘10.
He’s one paced and often gets caught holding the ball, as he tries to do more than he is capable of. Despite his hardness, he isn’t a physical presence in the middle. He cannot match players like Crips for strength. He constantly turns the ball over and he is often injured.

Adams is a fantastic footballer....Also contracted, I don't think Taylor wants to sit out a year! Sydney will need to come up with a fantastic deal to satisfy CFC. IMO, two low second round draft picks would be a good start for someone like Taylor .

Josh D..

I’d add McCreery, I think he‘s going next level, massive year for him coming. IMHO.

*Disclaimer, I have been wrong before
McCreery was so close to having a massive GF, he could have kicked 3 plus goals and had a few more goal assists. Just needs to work on that split second settle before he kicks, tends to rush it.

I hope he stays. A very important player and we are a worse team with him not in it. If it's driven by him and it's what he really wants, it's hard to stand in his way though. Is his reason for wanting to go to Sydney about what he does after football? Or is it that he wants to play solely midfield and get a longer contract?

He's not a very important player. He's a solid inside midfielder, that's probably the easier position to replace. He's like our 6th best midfield let's be real.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back