Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's terrible news actually gives Bucks some extra latitude, IMO, because its even more difficult for anyone to argue that we're not in full-on rebuild mode.

DeGoey, Freeman, Scharenberg, Moore, Kennedy, Broomhead, Oxley, Ramsay, Karnezis, Crisp, Maynard, Goodyear, Manteit, Witts, Grundy, etc are our future, so lets play them and keep playing them in order to bring the future forward. Given our circumstances, its pointless playing the likes of Blair, Toovey, Goldsack, Young, Macaffer, Sinclair and a few others, who collectively are incapable of driving our team forward. If we finish near the bottom of the ladder, then we'll get earlier draft picks to accelerate the rebuild.

GWS and GC have done just that and both will be powerhouses in the next few years.

At the very least by playing the kids repeatedly, we'll more quickly find out which ones are up to the challenge and which ones need to be replaced. I'll be more critical of Bucks if he DOESN'T go all out to play the kids. Go on Bucks, give us something exciting and fresh to look at!

Today's terrible news actually gives Bucks some extra latitude, IMO, because its even more difficult for anyone to argue that we're not in full-on rebuild mode.

DeGoey, Freeman, Scharenberg, Moore, Kennedy, Broomhead, Oxley, Ramsay, Karnezis, Crisp, Maynard, Goodyear, Manteit, Witts, Grundy, etc are our future, so lets play them and keep playing them in order to bring the future forward. Given our circumstances, its pointless playing the likes of Blair, Toovey, Goldsack, Young, Macaffer, Sinclair and a few others, who collectively are incapable of driving our team forward. If we finish near the bottom of the ladder, then we'll get earlier draft picks to accelerate the rebuild.

GWS and GC have done just that and both will be powerhouses in the next few years.

At the very least by playing the kids repeatedly, we'll more quickly find out which ones are up to the challenge and which ones need to be replaced. I'll be more critical of Bucks if he DOESN'T go all out to play the kids. Go on Bucks, give us something exciting and fresh to look at!
I don't think the media will see it as latitude if we don't get off to a good start this season. The pressure will be on to win, not having Keeffe and Thomas at his disposal won't matter in fact Id like to hear Buckley and come out and talk about what the hell is going on under his leadership.

I don't think the media will see it as latitude if we don't get off to a good start this season. The pressure will be on to win, not having Keeffe and Thomas at his disposal won't matter in fact Id like to hear Buckley and come out and talk about what the hell is going on under his leadership.
Go to training and ask him yourself unless of course you don't have the courage and prefer to carry on behind a monitor and keyboard..

I assume the reason why we haven't exclusively played youth regardless of form is the belief it is not in their best long term interest. Now we may be forced to, I'm not convinced that is a positive. Certainly at best we have lost some depth this year, thus more likely to fade us the year goes on and/or be vunerable to injury. Loose Frost, for example, an we struggle.

I assume the reason why we haven't exclusively played youth regardless of form is the belief it is not in their best long term interest. Now we may be forced to, I'm not convinced that is a positive. Certainly at best we have lost some depth this year, thus more likely to fade us the year goes on and/or be vunerable to injury. Loose Frost, for example, an we struggle.

I don't think Bucks has been as proactive in playing the youngsters as he could have been, or as some other clubs have been (not just GWS and GC). Those Clubs are now ahead of us in terms of getting experience into their kids and in discovering exactly which ones are up to it and which ones are not.

I think Buckley's slowness in developing our youngsters (such as Kennedy, Ramsay, Oxley, Karnezis, Thomas, Broomhead, Gault & Seedsman) is partly due to an expectation that we were finals contenders and needed to field a mature line-up. Now that we are clearly not finals contenders, perhaps it frees up Bucks to roll the dice and find out exactly what we've got in the cupboard?

We know exactly what Blair, Toovey, Goldsack, Sinclair, Young and Macaffer have to offer and its not finals-worthy. None of them would get a start at Hawthorn or Sydney, so we need to aggressively find replacements for them if we wish to compete. The faster we do that the better, even if it means going down the ladder a bit in the short term to do it (bring on the draft picks!).

Geez you post some crap..... How does two players taking something on their own accord have anything to do with Buckley? You're contestant negativity towards Buckley has become tiresome, how many controversies did we have under Malthouse? Here's the answer, plenty!!

Geez you post some crap..... How does two players taking something on their own accord have anything to do with Buckley? You're contestant negativity towards Buckley has become tiresome, how many controversies did we have under Malthouse? Here's the answer, plenty!!

Don't worry mate - TG is hardly the sharpest tool in the shed.
He lacks the ability to think critically so trolls in order to get attention and responses to his posts.

Don't worry mate - TG is hardly the sharpest tool in the shed.
He lacks the ability to think critically so trolls in order to get attention and responses to his posts.
Just gets tiresome mate, makes you wonder if he is really a Collingwood supporter. if he is, I wish he'd consider switching teams.....

I don't think Bucks has been as proactive in playing the youngsters as he could have been, or as some other clubs have been (not just GWS and GC). Those Clubs are now ahead of us in terms of getting experience into their kids and in discovering exactly which ones are up to it and which ones are not.

I think Buckley's slowness in developing our youngsters (such as Kennedy, Ramsay, Oxley, Karnezis, Thomas, Broomhead, Gault & Seedsman) is partly due to an expectation that we were finals contenders and needed to field a mature line-up. Now that we are clearly not finals contenders, perhaps it frees up Bucks to roll the dice and find out exactly what we've got in the cupboard?

We know exactly what Blair, Toovey, Goldsack, Sinclair, Young and Macaffer have to offer and its not finals-worthy. None of them would get a start at Hawthorn or Sydney, so we need to aggressively find replacements for them if we wish to compete. The faster we do that the better, even if it means going down the ladder a bit in the short term to do it (bring on the draft picks!).

I really hate this thinking. All it does is create another Melbourne situation. Yeah lets not play anyone over 23 and get flogged by 100 points every week so we can get better draft picks. And because we played kids all them will definitely be stars in the future.

All you do is piss off and demotivate older players who actually help the younger ones develop. Then you give games to kids who don't have to work hard at all and develop bad habits. Not to mention wasting 20-30 games on probably 10 kids who won't be up to it and will be delisted in 5 years time anyway. So you may as well have given those games to older players who would have made us more completive and taught the young players how you work hard. If a young player is not good enough to get into collingwoods current side in the next 1-3 years then they are hardly star material.

I want kids to play because they deserve a spot based on performance.

Last edited:

Buckley's ability to play the kids has been significantly restricted by fitness issues or players starting from a long way back. All of Kennedy, Oxley, Karnezis, Thomas, Broomhead and Seedsman have had significant fitness issues. Ramsey and Gault were always very long term prospects. Then there is The Berg and Freeman.

Don't think you can blame Bucks for kids not being ready.

Agree and now more than ever Buckley must ensure players are judged on form and merit . Outside of Toovey who is still one of the best shut down players in the league the others are more than replaceable with what we have coming through .
I recall Kennedy was doing exceptionally well last year then suddenly found himself as a sub then in the resis with some statement suggesting he was lacking fitness. Thought getting match minutes was one way of accelerating conditioning .Same argument with Karnezis probably deserved a start before he was injured but we persist with players who aren't up to it .
Think most on the board would have thought Gault should have started the other night , we need to get more minutes into these guys and give them some confidence and experience .

Last edited:
good to see bucks defending them. innocent until proven guilty remember

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media can take their best shot. Bucks will be the coach in 2016, nothing surer.

The media can take their best shot. Bucks will be the coach in 2016, nothing surer.

How can you say that? There are a million things surer than Buckley being coach in 2016 regardless if you are pro or anti buckley. Football is a weird place.

How can you say that? There are a million things surer than Buckley being coach in 2016 regardless if you are pro or anti buckley. Football is a weird place.

Name them ;)

He may or may not be but if our team spits out what it did against the Bulldogs then it's just negligent .
It only delays the rebuild that will happen when Buckley is eventually replaced .

Agree and now more than ever Buckley ensures players are judged on form and merit . Outside of Toovey who is still one of the best shut down players in the league the others are more than replaceable with what we have coming through .
I recall Kennedy was doing exceptionally well last year then suddenly found himself as a sub then in the resis with some statement suggesting he was lacking fitness. Thought getting match minutes was one way of accelerating conditioning .Same argument with Karnezis probably deserved a start before he was injured but we persist with players who aren't up to it .
Think most on the board would have thought Gault should have started the other night , we need to get more minutes into these guys and give them some confidence and experience .

How do you get confidence from a gift, or from getting beaten by better, older, more experienced players? What is wrong with experience via VFL. If these players can't stand out at VFL level they shouln't get a free pass.

Bucks, as usual, handling the questions and heat with aplomb. But geez, I cant stand Robbo. First episode of AFL 360 for the year, and already I'm annoyed with him.
Stop complaining, at least you can watch it:p

Bucks, as usual, handling the questions and heat with aplomb. But geez, I cant stand Robbo. First episode of AFL 360 for the year, and already I'm annoyed with him.
I like how he can't believe their story, um you haven't heard it yet slobbo

I really hate this thinking. All it does is create another Melbourne situation. Yeah lets not play anyone over 23 and get flogged by 100 points every week so we can get better draft picks. And because we played kids all them will definitely be stars in the future.

All you do is piss off and demotivate older players who actually help the younger ones develop. Then you give games to kids who don't have to work hard at all and develop bad habits. Not to mention wasting 20-30 games on probably 10 kids who won't be up to it and will be delisted in 5 years time anyway. So you may as well have given those games to older players who would have made us more completive and taught the young players how you work hard. If a young player is not good enough to get into collingwoods current side in the next 1-3 years then they are hardly star material.

I want kids to play because they deserve a spot based on performance.

Agree here. My philosophy is that the onus is on younger players to demand spots from older players on the list and are not gifted games based on their age. We saw it happen in 2010 when the older brigade were pushed out by the younger kids. It isn't as simple as all players develop on a linear scale once they enter the system. If they're not good enough to push players out of Collingwood's best 22 how can we trust them to get the job done against the best that the likes of Hawthorn, Sydney and Port Adelaide have to offer?

Agree and now more than ever Buckley must ensure players are judged on form and merit . Outside of Toovey who is still one of the best shut down players in the league the others are more than replaceable with what we have coming through .

All conditioning is more-or-less done over pre-season. Maybe an older player can work their way into a season but it's never a substitute for a solid pre-season. I'm a fan of Kennedy's but I don't mind him sitting out if his fitness isn't at the level yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back