The already planning for SC 2016 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit, America's own version of Mogadishu. God bless Amerrricaa!
Yep. Place went to s**t since the 60s riots.

But I've loved their sports teams since '88.

Yep. Place went to s**t since the 60s riots.

But I've loved their sports teams since '88.
When I studied in the US I was friends with a bloke who grew up in Grosse Pointe Park which is a relatively affluent suburb that borders Detroit, consequently I visited the city for a day with him, it's quite possibly the worst city on the planet. Caught a Pistons game too but they play out in the suburbs, the football field is downtown, cross the road from there and it's just devastation for miles.

When I studied in the US I was friends with a bloke who grew up in Grosse Pointe Park which is a relatively affluent suburb that borders Detroit, consequently I visited the city for a day with him, it's quite possibly the worst city on the planet. Caught a Pistons game too but they play out in the suburbs, the football field is downtown, cross the road from there and it's just devastation for miles.
It's funny, Detroit has some of the finest neighborhoods in the U.S. Grosse Point, Bloomfield Hills Ann Arbor. Downtown is starting to revitalize. Ford Field & Comerica Park sports precinct.

Shame about the rest. That city has an interesting story in history.

It's funny, Detroit has some of the finest neighborhoods in the U.S. Grosse Point, Bloomfield Hills Ann Arbor. Downtown is starting to revitalize. Ford Field & Comerica Park sports precinct.

Shame about the rest. That city has an interesting story in history.
Some of the suburbs are extremely nice and quite upscale and alot of the blighted areas of Detroit itself were once middle class areas rather than ghettos from the onset as some of the abandoned houses would have made fine homes.

The Downtown area has alot of potential, some of the buildings are quite nice and when there is a ball game i could imagine it being quite lively and the area down the river is nice near the GM building whatever it's called however and based only on a few hours of being driven around the city, they basically just need to start again everywhere else, there's nothing but blight nearly everywhere, most of the traffic lights there don't even work and the roads are just horrible to drive on.

I'm not sure what happened, the common consensus is the death of the auto industry caused most of this but I'm not sure. I've also been to Baltimore which is in bad shape but Detroit is just something else.

Some of the suburbs are extremely nice and quite upscale and alot of the blighted areas of Detroit itself were once middle class areas rather than ghettos from the onset as some of the abandoned houses would have made fine homes.

The Downtown area has alot of potential, some of the buildings are quite nice and when there is a ball game i could imagine it being quite lively and the area down the river is nice near the GM building whatever it's called however and based only on a few hours of being driven around the city, they basically just need to start again everywhere else, there's nothing but blight nearly everywhere, most of the traffic lights there don't even work and the roads are just horrible to drive on.

I'm not sure what happened, the common consensus is the death of the auto industry caused most of this but I'm not sure. I've also been to Baltimore which is in bad shape but Detroit is just something else.
I'm fascinated that you've been there. I've had an unhealthy sports affiliation with that city for a long long time. I've made many friends through Detroit sports forums (some I've met in person).

You're right. Most of the now derelict hoods were once thriving with middle class. Detroit was the NYC of the 50s. After the riots many 'whites' left. Population dropped from about 2m > 900k over 40 year period. City went broke and defaulted on their loans thus no upkeep on basics like lights, roads etc. Auto industry & corrupt mayors were a massive reason for its collapse.

Interesting chat :thumbsu:

I'm fascinated that you've been there. I've had an unhealthy sports affiliation with that city for a long long time. I've made many friends through Detroit sports forums (some I've met in person).

You're right. Most of the now derelict hoods were once thriving with middle class. Detroit was the NYC of the 50s. After the riots many 'whites' left. Population dropped from about 2m > 900k over 40 year period. City went broke and defaulted on their loans thus no upkeep on basics like lights, roads etc. Auto industry & corrupt mayors were a massive reason for its collapse.

Interesting chat :thumbsu:
I studied for a few of years in the US and some of my studies actually required me to travel a bit to different universities and other campuses so I've been to places like the Bay Area, Seattle, Boston/New England, New York City, LA, Washington DC and a few other places however Detroit was never on my radar and I had no idea of the city outside of the sports (specifically the Pistons as I've only ever followed basketball out of US sports) and that it was the home of the auto industry in the US. One of the people I studied with who I became close friends with (massive Pistons fan too) grew up around there as I mentioned before and would usually explain how utterly crap the place is, me not believing him kind of forced him to take us out there one weekend. Needless to say where he grew up is a magnificent suburb (Grosse Pointe), you literally cross the road that separates the two cities and the landscape changes almost immediately. The place left a very big impression on me in terms of how a city in the world's wealthiest country can decay to such a devastating extent and I was actually pretty embarrassed for the Americans, I couldn't see anything like that happening at all ever here in Australia.

The city is still very segregated in terms of race between Detroit itself and the suburbs which are majority white and you would probably be able to condense the city to a fifth of its current size and still have plenty of room left over. It's a very weird place, it has a downtown and tall buildings like a big city should but even during its "busy" hours it's relatively desolate and it has so much open land which used to be neighbourhoods and just burned down and abandoned buildings that you think they need to just bulldoze and clean everything up and start again. At its peak I believe it was one of the wealthiest cities in the US and it has just gone to rot.

Ford Field is a very nice sporting venue though, at least they've gotten their priorities right :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I studied for a few of years in the US and some of my studies actually required me to travel a bit to different universities and other campuses so I've been to places like the Bay Area, Seattle, Boston/New England, New York City, LA, Washington DC and a few other places however Detroit was never on my radar and I had no idea of the city outside of the sports (specifically the Pistons as I've only ever followed basketball out of US sports) and that it was the home of the auto industry in the US. One of the people I studied with who I became close friends with (massive Pistons fan too) grew up around there as I mentioned before and would usually explain how utterly crap the place is, me not believing him kind of forced him to take us out there one weekend. Needless to say where he grew up is a magnificent suburb (Grosse Pointe), you literally cross the road that separates the two cities and the landscape changes almost immediately. The place left a very big impression on me in terms of how a city in the world's wealthiest country can decay to such a devastating extent and I was actually pretty embarrassed for the Americans, I couldn't see anything like that happening at all ever here in Australia.

The city is still very segregated in terms of race between Detroit itself and the suburbs which are majority white and you would probably be able to condense the city to a fifth of its current size and still have plenty of room left over. It's a very weird place, it has a downtown and tall buildings like a big city should but even during its "busy" hours it's relatively desolate and it has so much open land which used to be neighbourhoods and just burned down and abandoned buildings that you think they need to just bulldoze and clean everything up and start again. At its peak I believe it was one of the wealthiest cities in the US and it has just gone to rot.

Ford Field is a very nice sporting venue though, at least they've gotten their priorities right :)
Interesting insight.

LOL. The Bad Boy Pistons are what drew me in. Tigers & Lions followed suit. Don't care for ice hockey. Where would they be without the Ford & Ilitch family riches?

Pick 2 for Kruezer proves what a farce this compensation pick is.

Dees got pick 3 (Brayshaw) for Frawley. Now that's a farce. :rainbow: He might well end up at the Pies next year. I'm sure you won't think it's a farce when he dominates.

Interesting insight.

LOL. The Bad Boy Pistons are what drew me in. Tigers & Lions followed suit. Don't care for ice hockey. Where would they be without the Ford & Ilitch family riches?
The bad boys were before my time but there is a really good espn 30 for 30 on them that I'm sure you would enjoy.

Dees got pick 3 (Brayshaw) for Frawley. Now that's a farce. :rainbow: He might well end up at the Pies next year. I'm sure you won't think it's a farce when he dominates.
He may very well dominate but as of right now, it stands for a #2 pick for an injury prone ruckman whos managed only 75/132 games over the last 6 seasons. Way overs.

Frawley was a farce too.

I don't like how this compo system works. Needs a review.

The bad boys were before my time but there is a really good espn 30 for 30 on them that I'm sure you would enjoy.
Ive seen it. Those were the great NBA days right through the 90s.

He may very well dominate but as of right now, it stands for a #2 pick for an injury prone ruckman whos managed only 75/132 games over the last 6 seasons. Way overs.

Frawley was a farce too.

I don't like how this compo system works. Needs a review.

Pick 2 for a pick 1 is unders as far as I'm concerned.

Next year probably the first in a while I wont pick Pendlebury
I can see next year being all about value midfield. Ablett, Rocky and then cheaper players. Libba, Swallow, Prestia, Hanley, Crouch, Gibbs. Etc.

And Bont ;)

Pick 2 for a pick 1 is unders as far as I'm concerned.
Doesn't work that way bud. It has to be based on current value

Currently it's pot luck system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back