The Cuts

Remove this Banner Ad

On the topic of Blease, Tappy and Strauss;

While i'm at it, you could add in Evans to the mix, as he has been on the list for a few years now has had his injury struggles but also shown he can play some quite good footy like Blease, but also like Blease has struggled with the defensive side of his game. It's a tough call, personally i see Michie and Riley in front of him, and on that basis could be shown the door. I hate saying it as we can't re-rookie everyone but could he be nev jetta V2015.
Evans won't be going anywhere, he signed a 2 year deal last year.
I hope Blease gets another contract.

While i'm at it, you could add in Evans to the mix

Beaten to it by Theo, but yeh he would be in the 'Monty' category if he wasnt contracted, you'd think.

This is part of my point, if you look through the players who are out of contract, it doesnt leave much room to make wholesale changes without trading - and we all know that another club trading for players like Evans isnt going to happen..

It's sad how Petterd would still be getting a regular game if Neeld didn't delist him.
Eh, he'd just be another mid-tier player like the rest of the guys we have. I doubt he'd have made much of a difference, although I did always like him as a player and was annoyed when he was delisted.

On our current list management I think the obvious suspects (Blease, Tappy, Strauss, Evans, Nicho) will be either shown the door or packaged in a trade with other players/picks. They'd hardly sweeten a trade, but for the contracted ones (Nicho, Evans) I don't think we'll want to keep them around. Or do a Morton and trade them for a late pick which can be used to upgrade Jetta or Georgiou if needed. Terlich, as frustrating as he is, will probably survive unless a definite upgrade who can play every week is available.

Eh, he'd just be another mid-tier player like the rest of the guys we have. I doubt he'd have made much of a difference, although I did always like him as a player and was annoyed when he was delisted.

On our current list management I think the obvious suspects (Blease, Tappy, Strauss, Evans, Nicho) will be either shown the door or packaged in a trade with other players/picks. They'd hardly sweeten a trade, but for the contracted ones (Nicho, Evans) I don't think we'll want to keep them around. Or do a Morton and trade them for a late pick which can be used to upgrade Jetta or Georgiou if needed. Terlich, as frustrating as he is, will probably survive unless a definite upgrade who can play every week is available.

The problem is the assumption any other team would want Nicho or Evans. I suspect we are stuck with them for another year.

The problem is the assumption any other team would want Nicho or Evans. I suspect we are stuck with them for another year.
Probably, though maybe we could flog Evans off to one of the WA sides for a cheap pick to use on a rookie upgrade, or trade them to Richmond on the cheap so they won't even have to worry about missing out on our discards in the draft!

Yep. I could possibly visualize some bizarro world where Evans gets rookied by West Coast in an act of pure desperation, but Nicho? Will attract lukewarm interest from a few VFL clubs.

Probably, though maybe we could flog Evans off to one of the WA sides for a cheap pick to use on a rookie upgrade, or trade them to Richmond on the cheap so they won't even have to worry about missing out on our discards in the draft!

Is Evo from WA? Hmm well West Coast did us a solid with Morton... but as George W Bush would say, fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again.

Sadly, I believe Nicholson is also contacted for next year.

I presume we have ridiculously large amounts of salary cap room free with which to axe him if Roos has absolutely no interest. Shame, he actually looked decent in the second half of 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we need to de-list 5 players at minimum.

Clarke - Retired
Brynes - Retired
Strauss - Gone
Clisby - Gone (Is he contracted?)
Spencer??? or Fitzpatrick??? (Take your pick but they can't both stay)
Matt Jones / Dean Terlich - I don't think there is room for both (Are they contracted?)
Frawley (hope not)

So we need to de-list 5 players at minimum.

Clarke - Retired
Brynes - Retired
Strauss - Gone
Clisby - Gone (Is he contracted?)
Spencer??? or Fitzpatrick??? (Take your pick but they can't both stay)
Matt Jones / Dean Terlich - I don't think there is room for both (Are they contracted?)
Frawley (hope not)
Brynes, Nicholson, Clark, probably one of Strauss or Tapscott. Not sure on the 5th, maybe both of them. Spencer is signed, Clisby may go, Fitzpatrick might be the 5th, Terlich safe, Matt Jones has played 38 consecutive games before last week, he won't be going anywhere I wouldn't think.

Spencer signed a new contract a few months ago, so he's not going anywhere. Fitzpatrick on the other hand has done SFA this year... Admittedly he would struggle to get a game for structural reasons, but the clock is ticking for The Neck.

So we need to de-list 5 players at minimum
Thought the minimum was 3 that you had to delist, but our list we should be delisting a lot more than that.

Clark - retired
Byrnes - retired
Frawley - likely exit
Terlich - delist
Strauss - delist
Tapscott - delist
Clibsy - delist if out if contract

Bail and Blease are skating on thin ice, the club has been in know rush to sign them on for next year

I wouldn't be against us using Fitz as trade bait, surely there are teams around that could use him.

I wouldn't be against us using Fitz as trade bait, surely there are teams around that could use him.

He might have had a bit of currency after last season but we'd be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him at the moment.

Fitz is certainly skating on thin ice, but he may get another year just because we don't have a lot of depth in the tall department (particularly with the Clark and Frawley situations).

At first glance, it may seem difficult to decide which players will go - but if you consider how many players we will probably bring in, in becomes even harder.

If Frawley goes, I think we would be using a minimum of 5 picks in the draft. That's 2 picks in the first round - and 1 each in rounds 2, 3 and 4. If we are offered any sort of priority pick, I reckon we will use at least 6.

If we bring in Malceski, that's a 7th spot - and that's before we've upgraded Jetta.

When you consider that guys like Nicholson, Terlich and Evans (I think??) are contracted - it frankly, doesn't look very good at all!

Will be a really interesting period in the off season for our list managers again this year.

I think there's almost no chance we take all picks to the draft
If we decide we are getting malceski I'm sure we will work out a trade deal rather than damage our fa compo
If we do have fa compo you can bet one of them will go on the table for someone chasing a kpp

Pp? Won't happen but I'm gonna assume we will get a pick after our first question is do we take 2 mids or do we get a kpp

If you consider watts cook and hogan as our kpp then you can see the risk involved

Fitz is certainly skating on thin ice, but he may get another year just because we don't have a lot of depth in the tall department (particularly with the Clark and Frawley situations).

At first glance, it may seem difficult to decide which players will go - but if you consider how many players we will probably bring in, in becomes even harder.

If Frawley goes, I think we would be using a minimum of 5 picks in the draft. That's 2 picks in the first round - and 1 each in rounds 2, 3 and 4. If we are offered any sort of priority pick, I reckon we will use at least 6.

If we bring in Malceski, that's a 7th spot - and that's before we've upgraded Jetta.

When you consider that guys like Nicholson, Terlich and Evans (I think??) are contracted - it frankly, doesn't look very good at all!

Will be a really interesting period in the off season for our list managers again this year.
I don't think Terlich is contracted beyond this year. Would have received the minimum two years when he was picked up in 2012, and I can't remember anything about him being given an extension.

Nicholson and Evans were elevated to the rookie list at the end of 2012 (http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2012-10-31/dees-elevate-nicholson-evans-) so they might be out of contract at the end of this year too, but there's no minimum contract length rule for elevations AFAIK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back