The great grand final performances not recognised by a Norm Smith Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood 2011.
Was right there with Bartel when the moments that won the game, needed to be won.
Ended up with 2 goals from 28 touches, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s and a SC score of 145 (highest on the ground and 50 points higher than Bartel).
Not taking anything from Bartel as I thought there were 3 who genuinely could have won it in Selwood, Bartel and Hawkins.

No doubt! one of the most influential grand final performances I have ever seen, Lenny was a worthy winner any other day of the week but goddards game was a bit more damaging for mine

Jason Gram in 2009 was the best player over all 4 quarters IMO and deserved it in a loosing side

Gram lost it in a recount too, was so close to winning.

Was he really that good in that match?

Judd won it and if I remember correctly he had a great game, but it was kind of controversial as there were Swans' players who were probably just as deserving.

Only watched the match once, but looking at the stats it looks like Fosdike had a blinder. 26 disposals, 8 marks and 7 tackles!

For me, he was (he was bloody good in 2012 too, but would stick with O'Keefe or Hanners). And I've watched it more than a few times. Fosdike was up there too, but LRT made the big plays all day. Judd had a lot of possessions, but quite frankly, more than enough of them missed the mark.

I never said they did. I just said they were amongst the best of the non-winners. Fwiw, I am one of the minority that think Hayes was better than Goddard in 2010.

Also, Matthew Scarlett 2007 deserves a mention.
I dunno if its a minority opinion, Lenny deserved that Norm Smith 100% in my opinion as well.

Had Goddard taken that mark with 5 seconds to go and put it through.. well then maybe my opinon might change. :)

Goddard a last quarter cameo in 2010? Now I've heard it all! :D :D :D

I guess that's why he ended up with 31 possessions (in a game when only 8 had over 20 for either side and he and Lenny (with 32) were the only two to have more than 26), with 14 of them listed as contested (equal game high), to go with 5 clearances, 3 contested marks (with two of them screamers/pack marks inside 50, after which he converted the goals), 6 rebound 50's, 5 tackles and the two crucial goals. He did it all over the ground throughout the game and even managed 5 bloody hitouts, as if he wasn't doing enough else! Only 5 of the 44 who played that day were credited with over 100 Supercoach points for the game and he racked up 162 (Lenny 174).

It was easily one of the best GF performances I've seen.

Last edited:
Goddard a last quarter cameo in 2010? Now I've heard it all! :D :D :D

I guess that's why he ended up with 31 possessions (in a game when only 8 had over 20 for either side and he and Lenny (with 32) were the only two to have more than 26), with 14 of them listed as contested (equal game high), to go with 5 clearances, 3 contested marks (with two of them screamers/pack marks inside 50, after which he converted the goals), 6 rebound 50's, 5 tackles and the two crucial goals. He did it all over the ground throughout the game and even managed 5 bloody hitouts, as if he wasn't doing enough else! Only 5 of the 44 who played that day were credited with over 100 Supercoach points for the game and he racked up 162 (Lenny 174).

It was easily one of the best GF performances I've seen.

Yeah I really thought Goddard deserved it more than Lenny in the drawn GF

Yeah I really thought Goddard deserved it more than Lenny in the drawn GF
Lenny laid 12 tackles and had 5 inside 50s. He was just monstering Collingwood's midfield with brute force and determination that game.

I think it also comes into what Lenny meant to St Kilda and the supporters. He was the heart and soul the club right there fighting with every ounce to win us the premiership and was living up to all the faith you can put into a footballer.

I will say it is an amusing debate arguing over who was the best of two of the greatest GF performances of all time, particularly on the same team haha.

I feel that if Chris Johnson scored a goal rather than hitting the post after his multiple bounce run in the 2001 Grand Final he may be a Norm Smith medalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss in 2002 should have won it and everyone knew it even Buckley knew it... I remember him walking up to collect his Norm Smith and he took it straight off while still on the podium and you can see him mouthing something along the lines of "You're better than me Voss...you are the best."

It was that game that changed the Norm Smith voting to allow for the WHOLE game to be judged not just half way through the 3rd quarter.
What in the name of god are you talking about?

Not really norm smith worthy but I reckon Sam Fisher was unbelievably good in the drawn Grand Final. Especially during Collingwood's domination in the first half of the game. Saints fans correct me if I'm wrong

Don't know or care about 2003, however your choices for 2002 and 2010 are laughable. Both Voss and Goddard put in last quarter cameo performances. May have stuck in your memory, however by no measure did either warrant a Norm Smith medal on GF day.
So Voss when it was on the line dragged his team over the line.
That makes him best on for mine.

Lewis,Mitchell,Burgoyne,Langford,Gibson etc etc 2014.

Not really norm smith worthy but I reckon Sam Fisher was unbelievably good in the drawn Grand Final. Especially during Collingwood's domination in the first half of the game. Saints fans correct me if I'm wrong

You're not wrong, had an unbelievable record v Collingwood. Was our best in the replay too until the hammy went.

For me

Voss - They voted too early, the rule was then changed to vote post game thereafter.
Gram - retrospective!
Goddard
Selwood 2011

The other one I would have is Daisy Thomas, whilst he wasn't BOG in either game in 2010, he was clearly the best over the 2 games combined.

Selwood 2011.
Was right there with Bartel when the moments that won the game, needed to be won.
Ended up with 2 goals from 28 touches, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s and a SC score of 145 (highest on the ground and 50 points higher than Bartel).
Not taking anything from Bartel as I thought there were 3 who genuinely could have won it in Selwood, Bartel and Hawkins.
Always thought if Hawkins had just nailed one more goal he would have got it

Dan Hannebery in 2012 - I thought he was more influential than ROK.
I thought ROK was worthy but watched the game again recently and you're right Hannebery was BOG. Was very courageous throughout the game and was involved in some very important passages. Very unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back