The great grand final performances not recognised by a Norm Smith Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Some interesting pre-1979 nominations.

Dipper in 1978.
Sheedy in 1974.
Hart in 1973.
Anyone of Walls, Jesaulenko or Nicholls in 1972.
Hopkins in 1970.
"Bull" Richardson in 1967.
"Cowboy" Neale in 1966.

Don Scott was great in the 1971 Grand Final. He would've won the Normie. BOG.
Not just the stats, but he was tireless and inspirational. Threw himself into everything.
Led the way in the 4th quarter and helped spark the comeback from 20 points down.

Kicks:
26 - D Meagher (Haw)
21 - D Scott (Haw) 1 goal
20 - S Trott (St K) 1 goal
17 - P Crimmins (Haw) 2 goals
17 - K Moore (Haw)
17 - B Lawrence (St K)
16 - L Matthews (Haw) 1 goal
16 - L Rice (Haw) 1 goal
15 - C Ditterich (St K)

Hitouts:
20 - D Scott (Haw)
15 - B Mynott (St K)
.8 - C Ditterich (St K)
.5 - K Beck (Haw)

2011 Hawkins. Quiet in the first half but completely dominated all and sundry (Ben Reid) in the last half and basically dominated Geelongs forward entries and was on the end of everything.

As one out of the box I thought Ablett in 09 played a great game also in 08. Scarlett and Chapman in 07.

Hannebury in 2012 I thought was instrumental.

Gunston 2013, Lewis last year.

Couple of lesser ones thought Maxwell was outstanding in 2010 and Wellingham in the replay (especially in the 1st half). Not saying these two were close to Norm Smiths but they were great performances and their 2 respective best games for the club. Sidebottom as well in the replay I thought could've won the NS. Pendles just shaded him thou imo. Thomas was prob BOG over 8 quatrers without being a massive standout in either game. Was super consistent.

Goodard obviously in 2010 but a couple of lesser performances were Kosi in the ruck after Gardner went off and Milne was dangerous up forward all day. (Those performances are forgotten as neither could back it up the following week).

Voss in 01 as well as 02.

Peter Bell in 99.

Caven on Carey in 98. (although Carey did miss a few).

Last edited:
I'll probably cop it for this, but Ken Hinkley in 92 rates a mention. I always thought Tony Evans in 92 was arguably as important as Matera on the day, stood up at an important time during the match. Kept the Eagles in it.
After watching the match recently though, Hinkley just kept popping up again and again in play. Never gave up all day. Great performance in a losing side.

... Hannebury in 2012 I thought was instrumental ...
Yeah that was an odd omission, it was not a performance you had to re-watch to appreciate.

Wanganeen 2004
Nah. A spectacular 4 goal cameo late in the game.
Peter Burgoyne won it for us, Kane Cornes wasn't far behind. Pickett was about 3rd best as his flair and dash broke the Lions' lines a few times while the game was close. Wanganeen 4th IMO. Now I feel like digging out the DVD and watching it.

Last edited:
Always thought McLeod wasn't the best on those days, Jarman in particular would have given him a run.

Peter Burgoyne was better then Pickett for me too in 2004. Anytime someone gets a run through the midfield with a few bounces they get elevated....

We all know about the Norm Smith Medal. Who has won and why they won. Most if not all have been well deserved. But what about those performances on the biggest day that if not for the award going to others , that should be recognised.

I'd like to start with 3 players and then throw it open.

1985. Dermott Brereton, in any other year, would have got a NSM. 8 goals out of Hawthorn's 14 on the day was basically a lone hand. According to media reports of the time, Brereton finished either 2nd or 3rd in NSM voting that year behind Madden.

1993. Gary O'Donnell. The Essendon utility accumulated the most possessions on the ground that year. Yet somehow missed out on the NSM to Long.

2000. Justin Blumfield. Much like O'Donnell in 1993, Blumfield's onfield performance is arguably 2nd only to Hird on that day.
The 2 that stand out for me Gary O'Donnell 93 & Wayne Johnston 82

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he really that good in that match?

Judd won it and if I remember correctly he had a great game, but it was kind of controversial as there were Swans' players who were probably just as deserving.

Only watched the match once, but looking at the stats it looks like Fosdike had a blinder. 26 disposals, 8 marks and 7 tackles!
He was easily best afield in the 1st half, shite 2nd half though. But I was calling norm smith at half time.
Need a D Jarman award if a player goes nuts in a final, or grand final.
S Dew would have won it, but it needn't be awarded every year
Nah, Shane Ellen award :p

Goodard obviously in 2010 but a couple of lesser performances were Kosi in the ruck after Gardner went off and Milne was dangerous up forward all day. (Those performances are forgotten as neither could back it up the following week).

Glad you mentioned this one because it's often forgotten, but Kosi was enormous after Gardiner went down.

1997 GF - Robert Harvey 36 possessions and a goal was an amazing effort, despite being heavily targeted all game.

Jarman with 6 goals should have won it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back