Toast The Gus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

His pace sets him apart. Great size, as mentioned, complements his speed beautifully. Considering Stratts is one of the best runners at the club (pace & endurance, I believe), with marking one of his best attributes, they form a pretty impressive pair.

Unless you're a real big bugger, if you don't have that turn of pace, you have to have something pretty special to 'get a gig', particularly in the back half; in fact, I'd go as far to say you're a liability.

There are guys (getting a regular game) - even with some admirable qualities - who really haven't got what it takes, under pressure ... ordinary leg speed, lack of composure, not real hard etc., etc.

Litherland stays!

No way keep both. Stratts and Gus are the future cogs of our backline!

AGREE totally, they can both play tall and small...are prototypes for the future...both keep there feet....unlike others, whom I won't mention for being hailed down as a perceived hater :p

His pace sets him apart. Great size, as mentioned, complements his speed beautifully. Considering Stratts is one of the best runners at the club (pace & endurance, I believe), with marking one of his best attributes, they form a pretty impressive pair.

Unless you're a real big bugger, if you don't have that turn of pace, you have to have something pretty special to 'get a gig', particularly in the back half; in fact, I'd go as far to say you're a liability.

There are guys (getting a regular game) - even with some admirable qualities - who really haven't got what it takes, under pressure ... ordinary leg speed, lack of composure, not real hard etc., etc.

Litherland stays!

Suckling...

Litherland must now be the club's number one priority & focus in signing a new contract.....Forget about free-agents, our best move would be in securing this bloke for 2015 & beyond!....Make it so HAWKS!

Yep has been super impressive, more so than Hallahan, just behind Langers and Hartung for mine.

Gus gets better every time he plays! Absolute champ, may not get all the stats but his 1% at the contests make all the difference. Hope we can sign him up for a contract extension soon!!

i agree he has been doing well but will he play finals? considering mitchell and possibly gibbo to come back who is going to get squeezed out? can see langford/hallahan/mcevoy as being close to getting game time too. if rioli gets back in time that is another spot taken up. hopefully we get a good run here on in and these tough calls need to be made.

Has anyone seen him play on Smalls. If he can I would have him in over Duryea. Very agile and quick, has the height and a big right foot. Bit bomby at the moment but with the right role he will be fine with that kick. Tough and courageous too. I think he stays for finals and Duryea makes way. Hard to say that because I love Doc but I think Gus has shaded him.

Edit: the other thing is that having Gus and Spang in the team allows Mitch, Hodge and Silk to play more midfield / forward time and that is a key to our chances, especially with Junior hurting himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Litherland must now be the club's number one priority & focus in signing a new contract.....Forget about free-agents, our best move would be in securing this bloke for 2015 & beyond!....Make it so HAWKS!

Yep 100% agree. Kid has continued to improve with each game and looks a really good solid player. Sign the kid up and continue to give him chances.

I don't know if anyone else has thought this but Gus and Stratton seem very similar to me, and that can never be a bad thing.

Litherland would be faster than Stratton and has greater acceleration but I think Stratton's experience gives him in the edge in reading the play. Insert Litherland into Hawthorn's 2013 preliminary side in place of Stratton and I'm not sure Litherland would have the footy IQ to take the intercept marks that Stratton took to preserve Hawthorn's lead.

It's a difficult question to answer but I'd back Stratton in over Gus at this stage.

I don't know if anyone else has thought this but Gus and Stratton seem very similar to me, and that can never be a bad thing.

Not really alike at all - Stratton can read it and mark at an elite level, Gus can't.

That said, Gus was compared to Darren Glass when we first drafted him, and you can bloody see why. If he develops more arial nous he could be anything, already very, very good at this stage, with plenty of room to improve.

Litherland would be faster than Stratton and has greater acceleration but I think Stratton's experience gives him in the edge in reading the play. Insert Litherland into Hawthorn's 2013 preliminary side in place of Stratton and I'm not sure Litherland would have the footy IQ to take the intercept marks that Stratton took to preserve Hawthorn's lead.

It's a difficult question to answer but I'd back Stratton in over Gus at this stage.
Oh, I would not want Gus to takes Startts spot. To me when Stratts is fit he is our modern day Chris Mew. I love the guy. I am more so excited about having 2 guys back there with there abilities patrolling a third tall and flank.

Not really alike at all - Stratton can read it and mark at an elite level, Gus can't.

That said, Gus was compared to Darren Glass when we first drafted him, and you can bloody see why. If he develops more arial nous he could be anything, already very, very good at this stage, with plenty of room to improve.
I still think they are. That aerial side of things is only one part of their game. I think they attack the man and footy in a very similar manner. Gus does not have the experience yet but I think by the time he is 2 years in he will be very capable aerially.

That one on one contest against Jamie Elliot who is great marking the footy showed me that Gus has to be in this finals team. He is quick and tall meaning that he wont get outmarked by Lindey Thomas, Elliot etc but he isnt slow enough to get caught out by them. He plays well in the heat too something Duryea has been 50/50 with.

Our Best Back Six come finals should be

Litherland - Spangher - Gibson
Birchall - Lake - Stratton

that right there is one tall backline yet so quick too

That one on one contest against Jamie Elliot who is great marking the footy showed me that Gus has to be in this finals team. He is quick and tall meaning that he wont get outmarked by Lindey Thomas, Elliot etc but he isnt slow enough to get caught out by them. He plays well in the heat too something Duryea has been 50/50 with.

Mate....I like the cut of your Jib:thumbsu:....I wanted to quote Meatloaf, but hey, he can't sing anymore!:p

Tall, fast and aerially supreme across most lines. That's a winner, winner chicken dinner right there maybe with the switch of Lake to FB. Lake, Gibbo, Birchall, Stratton and Litherland are all great re-bounders. Hell, Jesus is pretty good himself. Lake is a 1 on 1 beast. Gibson and Stratton are 2 of the best 3rd man up options in the league and well Spangher is just... Spangher.

Very strong backline and Gus is definitely a keeper in there for mine.

The thing I like about him is that he knows how to defend. A lot of the guys we play down back are forwards that have been converted into defenders and they just don't always negate as well or make the right decision when the ball is in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back