Toast The Gus Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

its hard to judge what a player is like at Box Hill compared to the big stage, a reference is Chance Bateman, if you saw him play for Box Hill you wouldnt have thought he was any good in his first couple of yrs, he never manned up, was pretty lazy hanging around on a wing, but when he played for Hawthorn he was amazing....if Litherland continues to play like he has i have no doubt he will be an asset for HFC going forward..... and i'll judge his performance now( and in the future) rather than when he first arrived at the club...

I'm sorry here's me thinking that he has been playing with Box Hill this year...Comparing Bateman to Litherland are completely different, I'm not questioning him as a player, his work ethic etc. I'm questioning his disposal which needs improvement. If he isn't efficient at Box Hill which is slower with more time to dispose of the pill, what makes you think its going to stand up in finals football.

I'm sorry here's me thinking that he has been playing with Box Hill this year...Comparing Bateman to Litherland are completely different, I'm not questioning him as a player, his work ethic etc. I'm questioning his disposal which needs improvement. If he isn't efficient at Box Hill which is slower with more time to dispose of the pill, what makes you think its going to stand up in finals football.

and how is his disposal any worse than any of our other players?, i mean Suckling is supposed to be the best kick in the comp and shanks many kicks as well as over-kicks, underkicks his passes, so what makes Litherlands kicks so poor?, i do not see what you see obviously, he seems to use the ball well when he plays for Hawthorn...

and how is his disposal any worse than any of our other players?, i mean Suckling is supposed to be the best kick in the comp and shanks many kicks as well as over-kicks, underkicks his passes, so what makes Litherlands kicks so poor?, i do not see what you see obviously, he seems to use the ball well when he plays for Hawthorn...

Its about the back half, other players with average disposal a hidden further up the ground...you've chosen suckling but he has licence to be creative by foot, when he's creative by foot more likely errors occur especially when compared to those dinky kicks of to the side.
Birchall Guerra Hodge Burgoyne Suckling Gibson all elite kickers, creative by foot and more often than not get the job done when playing in the backhalf. Dureya replacing Guerra has now been added to the mix. Clarksons preference is to have attacking and elite kicking players by foot in the back half, If you're not....then you're on borrowed time. He has work to do to get somewhat near the standard of the above mentioned. Everything else in his game is pretty good....he has talent.

To me he has a real Chris Mew or similar feel to him in that he just goes about his tasks with absolutely no fuss and with single-minded determination. Get the feeling he will become very reliable, and skilled in getting his jobs done. Very impressed, well done HFC recruiting!

Its about the back half, other players with average disposal a hidden further up the ground...you've chosen suckling but he has licence to be creative by foot, when he's creative by foot more likely errors occur especially when compared to those dinky kicks of to the side.
Birchall Guerra Hodge Burgoyne Suckling Gibson all elite kickers, creative by foot and more often than not get the job done when playing in the backhalf. Dureya replacing Guerra has now been added to the mix. Clarksons preference is to have attacking and elite kicking players by foot in the back half, If you're not....then you're on borrowed time. He has work to do to get somewhat near the standard of the above mentioned. Everything else in his game is pretty good....he has talent.
Would rather have the ball in Litherlands hands then Schoenmakers. Being a good kick doesn't mean s**t if you are a bad decision maker.

Last 2 games by Litherland have been very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Gus and Stratts in the same defence will b great for the Hawks. Both hard at it, bot have dash but both are good defensive players. Long term replacements for the likes of Birch and Gibbo. Go Gus!!

I think Gus and Stratts in the same defence will b great for the Hawks. Both hard at it, bot have dash but both are good defensive players. Long term replacements for the likes of Birch and Gibbo. Go Gus!!

The challenge for us over the next 3 years is the 7 replacements needed - Hale, Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Hodge & Sewell

Gus certainly makes me feel better about life after Gibbo

While litherlands kicking may not be up there with birchall, hodge, Burgoyne, suckling, Gibson etc the ability to break a line has to be given some weighting. I reckon birch has slowed down a bit and while is still hard running doesn't have the same burst of speed. What other member of our back 6 would waltz around and then burn off natunui? Maybe stratts but that's it. As hill has been showing breaking a line really opens up the field - possibly more than elite kicking. We've lacked that kamikaze run from hb for a while - Gus can provide. I'd also note that in finals when teams out on extreme pressure our elite kicking can fall down - Gus would give us another option in getting the ball moving. Yes his kicking may need some work - some can be the adjustment to afl level - but let's not forget what he can bring to the table.

Clarksons preference is to have attacking and elite kicking players by foot in the back half, If you're not....then you're on borrowed time. He has work to do to get somewhat near the standard of the above mentioned. Everything else in his game is pretty good....he has talent.

Brian Lake, where is he at?;)

Not a bad kick, disinterested maybe, lazy at times.....you betcha. He's in the team for one reason and one reason alone. Put a stop to monster forwards getting a hold of us.

Agree, Lake is not a bad kick but maybe not elite. Like Lake, Gus too has a role and he is doing that really well.

I liked him so much off the bat I thought we could dangle Stratton as trade bait for a big fish mid.....I know I know, widely derided by the forum at large :p.

But how good is the Gus?
When does he get a rising star nom?

Last edited:
He shows why the coaching staff have continued to give him contracts despite not playing.

Has been improving every week and growing into AFL level. Today against the pies he was excellent and showed that he can also add pace to his arsenal.

I think he has shown that he can shut out small and mid sized opponents effectively and has been offering more rebound as he gets more comfortable.

I don't think he is in direct competition with Stratts, expect Stratts to become Gibbo and Litherland to become Stratts of that makes sense. Gibbo is 30 and Lake is 32.

Hope we can find a spot for Gus when other stars return. His pace and booming kick can be very handy. Adds another dimension to an already potent machine. When they all think we are going to launch (to F50) through the left of the field with the left footers, we can switch to the right, to Gus and BOOM.

I don't thinks we've really see him use his pace as the full attacking weapon it is - that chase down in the 2013 BH GF is ridiculous. Needs to be told to attack. Gus and birch on opposite flanks is something I'd like to see.

His kicking needs some sharpening (didn't hit a few too well yesterday) and gets a bit lost in contest at times but geez he's played like 5 games as looks like he has the tools to be a bloody good afl player. Has he missed a tackle or had a tackle broken yet? Or lost his feet in a contest? Is also very composed under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back