News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, thanks for clarifying..

A bit alarmist mate?

Where is this info from? A 30cm cap is just laughable, it wouldn't seal anything and the soil cap would be so contaminated grass wouldn't even grow. Not to mention between all of wind, rain, seagulls, crows and foxes the waste underneath would quickly be exposed... A 300cm+ cap is believable. Imagine the ceiling height in a typical office as the minimum to prevent leeching in heavy rain.

The biggest concern would be building foundations. I'd imagine a series of concrete piles will do the trick if needed and the cost of that process would be a drop in the ocean all things considered..
Confirmation you know sfa about this stuff. Stuff my opinion, read the EPA's comments again.

It's not alarmist at all.
1/ hawthorn haven't yet done their due diligence
2/ the EPA has issued notices in relation to this site leeching methane recently
3/the EPA and Council had to pay out 20 large to the residents of brookland greens
4/ I open today's leader and there is testing of homes in Heatherton for Methane from one that Brighton council ran that ceased in 1984.
These joints come with baggage and councils and the epa will have to be confident that there is no likelihood of any more methane leeching before building approvals.

Last edited:
on that site behind din san nursery until a few years ago a massive easter egg hunt used to be held, it was great! ... dingley stinks is a myth as well, no smell that far south

on that site behind din san nursery until a few years ago a massive easter egg hunt used to be held, it was great! ... dingley stinks is a myth as well, no smell that far south

BTW....Luvin the A.V Name:thumbsu:...Can't believe she's joined the AFL sponsored sheep-herd throng in her Hawk hating rants of late.

Just waiting for a free-lance journo to leak the rumor....Gillon's car spotted parked in Caro's garage!;)

Confirmation you know sfa about this stuff. Stuff my opinion, read the EPA's comments again.

2/ the EPA has issued notices in relation to this site leeching methane recently
3/the EPA and Council had to pay out 20 large to the residents of brookland greens
4/ I open today's leader and there is testing of homes in Heatherton for Methane and other testing from one in Brighton that ceased in 1984.
These joints come with baggage and councils and the epa will have to be confident that there is no likelihood of any more methane leeching before building approvals.
LOL

You qoute me.
Ignore everything in my post.
Spout s**t without a source.
Have the audacity to say I know SFA.
Ang to top it off you then say the EPA are compensating some resident.

The timing of zoning being reintroduced couldn't have come at a better time. If each club will sooner or later have the ability to set up academies, then we are well placed in introducing the best equipped and well run academy in the league if we set up Hawk Land properly. We'll have potential recruits from across the state moving to Dingley just to make sure they take full advantage. ;)

Saints fans over on their board are quite upset about our poor decision to move into a tip site. I never realised they cared so much for our well being.

Given the Hawthorn administrations have been able to take us from potential merger to powerhouse while they've been a perpetual basket case I think I'll trust the Hawks board have at least some semblance of an idea about what they're doing.

LOL

You qoute me.
Ignore everything in my post.
Spout s**t without a source.
Have the audacity to say I know SFA.
Ang to top it off you then say the EPA are compensating some resident.

Don't go all Bigfooty on my Gold Member I'm just trying to put you in touch with how difficult it is in the current climate (since the Brookland Greens episode). This came out last year http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publications/788 2.pdf
and all the current owners of landfills are going through it. I now from 1st hand experience at a similar, bigger site closer to CBD.
The other stuff I mentioned is in this weeks Kingston Leader, as can been seen the Ball Road site is still facing issues 30 years later, with dangerous levels of methane discovered in service pits and hence concern as to where else it could be. The piling you speak of is great for structural integrity but it opens a vent for methane straight into the building you put over. It's not rocket science. EPA's direct quotes were in the Age article.

4/ I open today's leader and there is testing of homes in Heatherton for Methane from one that Brighton council ran that ceased in 1984.
Please don't confuse our club with your own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not particularly over the moon at developing old dump sites.

I recall many years ago, a dump site in Warrigal Rd Oakleigh was turned into residential land and stunk for years afterwards. (Probably still does).

But then, I will probably never go there. Would be sad to see it developed then fall into dis-use because of the smell/pollution. I trust the club will use the time they have to do their due diligence.

Played on lots of ex-tip sites turned into footy grounds. Western Oval in Warragul is huge and built on old landfill, there's a story of a fridge surfacing during a wet game that later had to be dug out. It all depends on what was dumped and how much dirt you put across the top.

Building an AFL standard oval already involves enough layers of dirt that you'll essentially have to build a cap that would separate the turf surface from the subgrade anyway. Drainage would be of such high standard too, that there wouldn't be too many problems with any chemicals leaching to the top.

The fact it's old landfill really only affects the re-sale value of the land (would struggle to get residential zoning) but they could always stick a cafe and some shops on a corner if they wanted to.

The timing of zoning being reintroduced couldn't have come at a better time. If each club will sooner or later have the ability to set up academies, then we are well placed in introducing the best equipped and well run academy in the league if we set up Hawk Land properly. We'll have potential recruits from across the state moving to Dingley just to make sure they take full advantage. ;)

So what was the deal with zoning? I understood that Hawthorn was one of the major benefactors from the original zoning - but was that more eastern suburbs or south / eastern suburbs?

I'm not that (1/) was in their release?? jeepers haters.
You are assuming our board is not aware of the issues you have raised. We have an 18 month settlement period in which we can walk away from the deal which is plenty of time to conduct our own testing etc. They would not have even taken the purchase this far without having an in principle understanding of what risks the site may hold.

So what was the deal with zoning? I understood that Hawthorn was one of the major benefactors from the original zoning - but was that more eastern suburbs or south / eastern suburbs?
Hawthorn basically got the area associated with the mornington peninsular league plus the suburbs around Hawthorn such as Kew. We won the lotto in some ways as it was where all the families were moving to as Melbourne grew.

Hawthorn basically got the area associated with the mornington peninsular league plus the suburbs around Hawthorn such as Kew. We won the lotto in some ways as it was where all the families were moving to as Melbourne grew.

So I assume if they reintroduced zoning we'd probably get the area around Waverley, Box Hill, Hawthorn and Launceston (North would probably get the rest of Tasmania)

You'd imagine that the Aints would guard the peninsular with their life

The Club has spent 3 years evaluating this decision. They haven't just gone out and bought the first piece of land they could find. The locations, size, price and qualitly of the land has all been considered. They have also made the offer conditional to further due diligence that they have another 18 months to do. This will likely involve assessing risks, soil testing, building potential, checking with council regarding zoning and permitted development of site.

They will not buy this land if it cannot become the 50-100 years top line facility they want it to be. After the 18 months is up we will either be looking for a better option or celebrating that everything is as expected all good to go ahead.

The Club has spent 3 years evaluating this decision. They haven't just gone out and bought the first piece of land they could find. The locations, size, price and qualitly of the land has all been considered. They have also made the offer conditional to further due diligence that they have another 18 months to do. This will likely involve assessing risks, soil testing, building potential, checking with council regarding zoning and permitted development of site.

They will not buy this land if it cannot become the 50-100 years top line facility they want it to be. After the 18 months is up we will either be looking for a better option or celebrating that everything is as expected all good to go ahead.
No, they have spent 3 years doing a feasibility study on the Waverly complex. It wasn't until 2014 that they sent people OS to look at options. So the search and discovery of the Dingley site is much more recent. I would think that the club is still in the early stages of assessment, which is why they still have 18 months to make up their minds.

Did I hear accommodation in the wind when Newbold was talking about the project?

Don't go all Bigfooty on my Gold Member I'm just trying to put you in touch with how difficult it is in the current climate (since the Brookland Greens episode). This came out last year http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/Publications/788 2.pdf
and all the current owners of landfills are going through it. I now from 1st hand experience at a similar, bigger site closer to CBD.
The other stuff I mentioned is in this weeks Kingston Leader, as can been seen the Ball Road site is still facing issues 30 years later, with dangerous levels of methane discovered in service pits and hence concern as to where else it could be. The piling you speak of is great for structural integrity but it opens a vent for methane straight into the building you put over. It's not rocket science. EPA's direct quotes were in the Age article.

A .pdf of new guidelines? Good. So if everything gets ticked off after we complete our due diligence studies we will be miles ahead of all the existing reclaimed landfills.

Try reading this before you continue crapping on about Brookland Greens... https://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au/ge...greens-estate-investigation-into-methane.aspx
So a greedy developer took the bumbling Casey council and the EPA to VCAT to reduce the residential buffer zone from 500m to 200m so they could sell an additional 47 residential lots. During construction warning signs such as standing puddles bubbling from gas was ignored in favour of the almighty dollar.

So even if we do sign off and commence works and then find out the landfill is unstable do you think we just continue spending money hand over fist in the hope everything will be ok, or do we halt works, set up contingency and rectification plans and shelve the construction for the appropriate amount of time... Damn it, stuck at Waverley...

So gas that can't penetrate compacted clay containment layers is able to travel through solid reinforced concrete piles straight into the building??? :drunk:
I think we are done here.

Last edited:
Sorry to get your back up Gold Member that was never my intention. I never meant the gas comes through the concrete, the pile breaks the cap/seal and allows venting at an uncontrolled point. We are going round in circles. I commend Hawthorn looking into what will be a landmark development of it comes to fruition, you see my colours and post accordingly. There have been more measured posts above in brown and gold that discuss reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back