The Leicester Story

Simple question, would it be the greatest upset in sporting history

• Yes

Votes: 58 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 23.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what you mean. The big 4 was Arsenal, Liverpool, man United and Chelsea. So the sentiment that only one of them could win the title was broken by man city.
Not really. It was always obvious you could break into the top four. You just needed an owner with a massive bankroll.

Leicester are a completely different case. Since the EPL started (not well versed on the first division before then, 90s baby) it has been obvious the gulf between the likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc has been massive and the clubs with less money was massive and only money would change it.

Not really. It was always obvious you could break into the top four. You just needed an owner with a massive bankroll.

Leicester are a completely different case. Since the EPL started (not well versed on the first division before then, 90s baby) it has been obvious the gulf between the likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc has been massive and only money would change it.
Ok. I was just literally responding to the op. Since I qualified my response as ignoring man city for the very point you're now arguing not really sure what was wrong with my initial post.

CasTWbPW8AEznkS.png:large

"Leicester City is what I've always sought - half style of football and half awareness of an objective".

"In an era where money counts for everything, I think we give hope to everybody"

* I love Claudio. I was skeptical about the appointment at the time but he hasn't done a single thing wrong since the day he was appointed. The way he continued on the great work at the back end of last season but changed it just enough to make it more successful is nothing short of a masterstroke. Reading through that, you just know the players love and respect him and he obviously feels the same. :thumbsu:

I don't think anyone can't not like Leicester/Rainieri atm to be honest.

Forest/Derby fans perhaps, but I've even seen some of them getting behind the Foxes.

If it was still Pearson there I'd probably struggle a bit.

Essendon winning the premiership this year makes more sense than this Leicester squad winning the title, but here we are.

If they win the title does the league lose a bit of credibility in terms of how good the top teams are?

Essendon winning the premiership this year makes more sense than this Leicester squad winning the title, but here we are.

If they win the title does the league lose a bit of credibility in terms of how good the top teams are?

No it gains credibility for how competitive it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it gains credibility for how competitive it is.

No doubt it's good for the league. Was thinking more for how the big clubs would be seen in Europe. How could they possibly be taken seriously by the other big European clubs if they lose the league to a minnow? It'd be like Essendon winning the flag this year - good on them, but it would make the other clubs a laughing stock.

what leicester are doing is absolutely unseen in sporting competition over the course of a season. it's just plainly absurd.

Haven't read through the all thread but this sums up my sentiments 100% :thumbsu:

Love it! Fifa was how I first came across my love of the Foxes.
My dad is the reason I support the Foxes.
He picked up supporting them back in the 70's.
We are both in a state of shock with how the seasons is progressing.
Like a few others, I didnt think that being bottom a year ago was a true indication of the ability of the team.
The first team to be bottom at new year and escape relegation was a nice feather in the cap!
Now sitting top of the league, I am waiting for them to drop off a bit.
Did not expect a 3-1 win at Man City.
Daring to dream now!
Expectations rose from maybe Europa League to maybe Champions League, now its maybe the title.
Go you foxes.

No doubt it's good for the league. Was thinking more for how the big clubs would be seen in Europe. How could they possibly be taken seriously by the other big European clubs if they lose the league to a minnow? It'd be like Essendon winning the flag this year - good on them, but it would make the other clubs a laughing stock.

Mmmm yes and no.

Montpellier won in France, no one really cared.
Wolfsburg and Stuttgart won in German, no one really cared.

Sometimes it just happens.

Does anyone (maybe Jatz or Fryer Tuck?) have their overall Premier League points and record since they started their "run" to get themselves out of trouble towards the end of last season until now?

It's a remarkable story...so happy for them. Regardless of how they finish they have shown such magnificent ethos by all of them including the coaching staff. I love the messages of Ranieri of after every game and the principles he has put in place...just goes to show that hard work always beats talents. While they possess tremendously gifted players ie. Mahrez, they still play like a team which I believe is the most underrated things in sport. If everyone pitches in and works for one another you give yourself the best opportunity. Mahrez is one of the biggest bargains of all time, to think before he was playing in the French division 2 to now the star of the premier league this season is nothing short of astonishing. He and Vardy's partnership has been dynamic which has been integral for the meteoric rise. Still a bit to go but they keep on defying the odds so there is no reason why they can't win it. Another big test this week against Arsenal...win that one and the belief will skyrocket once more.

From the 4th of April (overall - league only):

34 games:

22 wins
9 draws
3 losses
Unreal - a possible 87 points over a 38 game season then. Enough to win a championship in probably 9 in every ten 10 seasons

Back