The off topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six month with my girlfriend today, staying at The Star tomorrow night in the Darling, apparently great rooms so should be a good night. Dinner at Darling Harbour with fireworks as well.
What are you gonna do in the hotel room?

Any of you Melbourne lads been to Hepburn Springs?

Heading there with the better half this weekend.

Yep great little getaway. Try Sault restaurant outside of Daylesford. My missus and I usually go there when we stay in Daylesford / Hepburn Springs.

Those rooms are great. How high up are you? Get some pretty good views.
Actually not sure. She's checking in at 3 and she's gonna try and get a free upgrade, so we'll see.

What are you gonna do in the hotel room?
Originally we were gonna go Saturday night, so I'd have said watching Hull, but sadly I guess we'll just be banging.

Yep great little getaway. Try Sault restaurant outside of Daylesford. My missus and I usually go there when we stay in Daylesford / Hepburn Springs.
What are the prices like? We are going Sunday/Monday (voucher conditions didn't permit Fridays or Saturdays)

Originally we were gonna go Saturday night, so I'd have said watching Hull, but sadly I guess we'll just be banging.
Hahaha. Hull > banging, right? :D

Congrats anyway mate.

What are the prices like? We are going Sunday/Monday (voucher conditions didn't permit Fridays or Saturdays)

Hahaha. Hull > banging, right? :D

Congrats anyway mate.

She seems open to combining the two, so who knows. It's the dream.

Asian cup final on sat night also SM......

Yeah the reason we're going tomorrow night is it's a mate's Engagement party the Saturday night. Suffice to say most of the other guys are pretty pissed they can't go to the game. The party is the same suburb as a toon supporting mate so we're all going to his for Hull-Toon as it's the early game.

Pretty expensive but definitely worth it. When are Arsenal playing? Make sure you're staying somewhere equipped with foxtel :)
Monday 12.30am, don't think the place has Foxtel though. We're watching the tennis final though whether she likes it or not ;)

Got a 21st in Seymour Saturday night (one of her friends), so miss the Asian Cup all the Sat games too.

Monday 12.30am, don't think the place has Foxtel though. We're watching the tennis final though whether she likes it or not ;)

Got a 21st in Seymour Saturday night (one of her friends), so miss the Asian Cup all the Sat games too.

Just be careful that she doesn't get the wrong idea if you shout "Up the Arse!" while lying in bed.

It sounds harsh but if this is the case I will have no sympathy for them whatsoever, put other people at risk as well as themselves.

You would assume they'll be drug tested. Apparently ice and pipes were found in the car.

Was taught early on to not speak ill of the dead, but the circumstances leading into this horrible crash are terrible.

Countless other motorists/pedestrians etc are also put at severe risk by this type of behavior.

I was just watching a few movies over the last few days and it got me thinking as to who is on the tired and tested A-List nowadays. With so many movies and so many stars nowadays in Hollywood, I think the A-List has grown and grown but who is truly at the top of the diamond.

What do you guys think? If the A-List is a 20 man short list who do you think is on it? Which 20 women make up the womens side of the A-List?

As I made my list it kept getting harder and harder, particularly on the mens side of things. Anyways here is who I came up with in no particular order.

Men
1. Brad Pitt
2. Tom Cruise
3. Denzel Washington
4. Matthew McConaughey
5. Will Smith
6. Matt Damon
7. Robert Downey Jr
8. Leonardo DiCaprio
9. Liam Neeson
10. Mark Wahlberg
11. Daniel Day Lewis
12. George Clooney
13. Bradley Cooper
14. Tom Hanks
15. Bruce Willis

16 through 20 starts to get difficult. I mean you have your legends like DeNiro, Hoffman, Pacino, Hackman, Connery, Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman, Ford, Caine, Hopkins, Nicholson, Ben Kingsley and while you would consider these guys A-Listers, would their name alone sell a film. Would they sell a film more than current up and comers like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy?

Where does Sean Penn sit nowadays, he isnt the guy that will sell a 200 million blockbuster but he is definitely one of the best actors in Hollywood. What about Jared Leto coming off an Oscar. Is Jeff Bridges A-List, surely he is. Where does he fit? Johnny Depp has made about 6 horrible films in a row. Russell Crowe is A-List for sure but hasnt done anything great in a while.

Kevin Spacey is on TV. Bardem is great, but not a leading man. Christoph Waltz is hot right now, won 2 oscars in quick succession, definite A-Lister, but is he top 20. The problem is the A-List is so long now I think.

Joaquin Phoenix, Hugh Jackman, Colin Firth, Colin Farrell, Daniel Craig, Will Ferrell, Steve Carrell, Jim Carrey, Christian Bale, Edward Norton, Gary Oldman, Bill Murray, Jake Gyllenhaal, Jeremy Renner, Edgerton, Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Gosling. Cumberbatch is blowing up. My head hurts at this point.

Women
1. Meryl Streep
2. Julianne Moore
3. Cate Blanchett
4. Jennifer Lawrence
5. Anne Hathaway
6. Angelina Jolie
7. Amy Adams
8. Nicole Kidman
9. Kate Winslet
10. Reese Witherspoon
11. Emma Watson
12. Natalie Portman
13. Emma Stone
14. Scarlett Johansson
15. Keira Knightley

Then is starts get wishy washy again. Do you go with older ladies who are still getting it done like Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and Helen Mirren or younger brigade like Ellen Page, Abigail Breslin, the Fanning sisters? Is Kristen Stewart A-List despite being a s**t actress. What about old screen hotties like Jessica Alba who havent done anything in forever. What happened to Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan? Charlize Theron hasnt done anything in a while. Sandra Bullock gotta be A-List right?

Jennifer Garner? Jennifer Aniston is blowing up in Cake. Mila Kunis, Tilda Swinton, Bonham-Carter, Marion Cotillard, is Pfeiffer still A-List? Frances McDormand, Michelle Williams, Carey Mulligan, Jodie Foster, Dunst, Chastain, Rooney Mara, McAdams?

Who do you guys rate in Hollywood?

Last edited:
Who do you guys rate in Hollywood?

Sheeeeet man,where do i begin. Huuuuuge movie nerd.

I'd say my top 10 would be( in no particular order) -

Actor -
Tom Hardy
Michael Fassbender
Christian Bale
Ryan Gosling
Leonardo DiCaprio
Bradley Cooper
Daniel Day Lewis
Casey Affleck(underrated as *)
Benedict Cumberbatch
Daniel Craig

Actress -
Jessica Chastain
Emma Watson
Amy Adams
Jennifer Lawrence
Rooney Mara
Anne Hathaway
Emma Stone
Anna Kendrick
Marion Cotillard
Margot Robbie

Sheeeeet man,where do i begin. Huuuuuge movie nerd.

I'd say my top 10 would be( in no particular order) -

Actor -
Tom Hardy
Michael Fassbender
Christian Bale
Ryan Gosling
Leonardo DiCaprio
Bradley Cooper
Daniel Day Lewis
Casey Affleck(underrated as ****)
Benedict Cumberbatch
Daniel Craig

Actress -
Jessica Chastain
Emma Watson
Amy Adams
Jennifer Lawrence
Rooney Mara
Anne Hathaway
Emma Stone
Anna Kendrick
Marion Cotillard
Margot Robbie
Whilst I agree Casey Affleck is underrated, he isnt on the A-List. His name alone wont sell you a movie if you know what I mean.

Whilst I agree Casey Affleck is underrated, he isnt on the A-List. His name alone wont sell you a movie if you know what I mean.

Sure, i was moreso just posting a list of my favourite actors :D

In terms of guys that can sell a movie with name alone i'd probably go -

George Clooney,Russel Crowe,Tom Cruise,Tom Hanks,Denzel Washington,Matt Damon,Brad Pitt etc

Guys like Tom hardy make better movies(imo) and are just as good if not better actors but aren't making blockbuster movies.

Sure, i was moreso just posting a list of my favourite actors :D

In terms of guys that can sell a movie with name alone i'd probably go -

George Clooney,Russel Crowe,Tom Cruise,Tom Hanks,Denzel Washington,Matt Damon,Brad Pitt etc

Guys like Tom hardy make better movies(imo) and are just as good if not better actors but aren't making blockbuster movies.
Lot's of guys arent making blockbusters and some guys that are are not great actors, like The Rock for instance. I forgot him in my original post. He is probably on the A-List and pretty bankable for a big blockbuster. But as an actor he is miles behind a lot of great actors.

Lot's of guys arent making blockbusters and some guys that are are not great actors, like The Rock for instance. I forgot him in my original post. He is probably on the A-List and pretty bankable for a big blockbuster. But as an actor he is miles behind a lot of great actors.

Yeah,pretty much..Vin Disel another one. He's had 9 movies gross over 100million Worldwide and 3 over 500 million.

Yeah,pretty much..Vin Disel another one. He's had 9 movies gross over 100million Worldwide and 3 over 500 million.
He has completely disappeared though outside his Fast & Furious movies. I cant name another movie he has recently been in. I have to go back to his Riddick days to remember him in anything else. Did have a nice little role in Saving Private Ryan.

Just on C.Affleck. Did you see him in a small movie with Christian Bale called Into the Furnace. He was terrific. One scene in particular when he goes nuts at his brother for not understanding what he war has done to him. He is awesome.

He has completely disappeared though outside his Fast & Furious movies. I cant name another movie he has recently been in. I have to go back to his Riddick days to remember him in anything else. Did have a nice little role in Saving Private Ryan.

Guardians of the Galaxy, but as a voice actor so doesn't really count i guess..in terms of A-List

Just on C.Affleck. Did you see him in a small movie with Christian Bale called Into the Furnace. He was terrific. One scene in particular when he goes nuts at his brother for not understanding what he war has done to him. He is awesome.

For sure, he always shows up no matter what kind of movie he's in.

Just on that movie btw,i'm surprised it didn't get more love. Didn't make a lot of money and the critics didn't like it at all from what i remember.

While pretty bleak, i really enjoyed the movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy, but as a voice actor so doesn't really count i guess..in terms of A-List

For sure, he always shows up no matter what kind of movie he's in.

Just on that movie btw,i'm surprised it didn't get more love. Didn't make a lot of money and the critics didn't like it at all from what i remember.

While pretty bleak, i really enjoyed the movie.
Yeah but all he says is I am Groot like 3 or 4 times. I have no idea why they got a big name actor to do that. You could have hired a voice actor to do the same thing for peanuts. Whereas Vin Diesel probably demanded big bucks.

Yeah I quite enjoyed it too. I thought Woody Harrelson was really good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back