Opinion The Offically Unofficial BF Answer to Danyle Pearces worthiness to Freo

Where does Danyle Pearce belong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just checked on footywire looking for his disposal efficiency and whilst I knew that danyle was first last year I didn't realise that Stephen hill was second. That's some pretty good running up the wings....if only our forward line had been a bit better.

Truth tell I cringe whenever PearcePearce gets the ball in space as he seems to be 50/50 proposition.

Ask people at random what is the first thing they think of, about a rose.
Most people say thorns.
Maybe we don't know what we have got til it is gone.
Don't it always seem to go.

Last edited:

Is Danyle up to the 3rd year of a 3 year contract? Interesting that the club has brought in 3 fast spreading midfielders as the draft priority- seems to suggest the club isn't happy with the overall performance from our current group of players.
Along this vein, I heard a story from someone who purported to have had dinner with someone extremely senior from the Freo FC inner circle - If this is to be believed, apparently the 2 players that frustrate Lyon the most are D Pearce (disposal) and Barlow (lack of pace).

I think what annoys supporters so much about Pearce is that the difference between his best and worst is the grand canyon. And that can be within the same game. It's one thing for a player to spud it up because he doesn't have the ability. Pearce has the ability, just not the consistency. And i'll give him one thing, he cares. Doesn't come across someone that plays for the paycheck.

I'm sure my first stroke will be directly attributable to one of his brain farts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard a story from someone who purported to have had dinner with someone extremely senior from the Freo FC inner circle - If this is to be believed, apparently the 2 players that frustrate Lyon the most are D Pearce (disposal) and Barlow (lack of pace).

I am struggling to see a situation where Lyon lets slip that kind of information. I mean, actually rating players like that, and passing it on just does not seem his style. The other thing is, Barlow is a recent re-signing and extremely tradable, yet here he is, on our list and preparing for 2015. Anyway, if those two (especially Barlow) are the 2 most frustrating, I wonder how he rates Mayne (a key player failing to maintain his goal-licking), Clarke (failing to progress in the role we most need improvement), Sylvia (fitness), Dawson (the personification of a frustrating footballer) and Ballantyne (ongoing discipline issues), all of whom have had frustration-worthy seasons. Not especially having a crack at those players.

The other thing your post makes me think is that someone "extremely senior from the Freo FC inner circle" could be even more frustrating if they pass on the coaches very private thoughts like that. At best they are a dangerous gossip, at worst they can derail important things.

Is Danyle up to the 3rd year of a 3 year contract? Interesting that the club has brought in 3 fast spreading midfielders as the draft priority- seems to suggest the club isn't happy with the overall performance from our current group of players.

Could equally be a bit of forward planning in the holes we have in the model (and where the game is heading) - we did lose Simpson as a linebreaker. I think the new recruits balance out our 2018 team - post Pav, Mundy, Duffield, Sandi, Johnson, etc.

This thread you could ask the same question on Crowley, Deboer, Suban, Sylvia, only Crowley, Pearce are automatic selection. After the
season ended probably shorter than expected, many players will feel that judgement day is approaching.

Durability is a great quality for a player to have. Selectors love players who are available week in , week out. He's a good player with a couple of flaws which puts him ahead of average players with a couple of flaws. Expect him to play 20 games plus next year.

I am struggling to see a situation where Lyon lets slip that kind of information. I mean, actually rating players like that, and passing it on just does not seem his style. The other thing is, Barlow is a recent re-signing and extremely tradable, yet here he is, on our list and preparing for 2015. Anyway, if those two (especially Barlow) are the 2 most frustrating, I wonder how he rates Mayne (a key player failing to maintain his goal-licking), Clarke (failing to progress in the role we most need improvement), Sylvia (fitness), Dawson (the personification of a frustrating footballer) and Ballantyne (ongoing discipline issues), all of whom have had frustration-worthy seasons. Not especially having a crack at those players.

The other thing your post makes me think is that someone "extremely senior from the Freo FC inner circle" could be even more frustrating if they pass on the coaches very private thoughts like that. At best they are a dangerous gossip, at worst they can derail important things.

I am under the impression Ross is one of the coaches who casts vote for the Doig and Danyle just finished top 10.
Good thing Ross doesn't let his frustrations get the better of him.

Durability is a great quality for a player to have. Selectors love players who are available week in , week out. He's a good player with a couple of flaws which puts him ahead of average players with a couple of flaws. Expect him to play 20 games plus next year.

I am tipping 25 games to be precise.

I am under the impression Ross is one of the coaches who casts vote for the Doig and Danyle just finished top 10.
Good thing Ross doesn't let his frustrations get the better of him.

Why are you acting like that's an achievement though, Fred? A senior player who plays every game really should be finishing right up there.

Why are you acting like that's an achievement though, Fred? A senior player who plays every game really should be finishing right up there.

Top 10 Doig (games played) -

1. Nat Fyfe (20)
2. Aaron Sandilands (23)
3. Stephen Hill (20)
4. David Mundy (24)
5. Hayden Ballantyne (20)
6. Michael Barlow (19)

7. Cam Sutcliffe (24)
8. Lee Spurr (24)
9 Danyle Pearce (24)
10. Michael Johnson (18)

Players with over 20 games who didn't feature in the top 10 -

Duffield (24)
Crowley (24)
Mzungu (23)
Neale (23)
Mayne (23)
Pavlich (22)
Dawson (22)
Suban (21)
Clarke (21)

50% of the top 10 played 20 or under games (Fyfe, Hill, Ballas, Barlow, Johnson)

Make of it what you will, but there's some big name players who didn't make the top 10 who played more games than half of the top 10.

Strange thread.

At his worst he can be frustrating but is in the 22 alone just for his pace and decent kick.

At his best he can be a dangerous runner, a good kick up forward and a good goal kicker. I am happy we got him as Hill and Danyle Pearce are our 2 best wingers on the team. I rate Mzungu very highly but Mzungu is a better versatile player than pearce but isn't as quick.

That is correct; He should finish up there and he did. What more do you want the bloke to do?
My point was the poster quoted hearsay to have a sledge at two of our players. It is a wank to believe our club would leak that sort of info.
Besides, it is insane to suggest the senior coach is frustrated with a senior player in a key role and then turn around and give him a vote of confidence that has that player finishing top 10.

So, you seem to be indignant that I suggest it is some sort of outstanding achievement for Danyle to finish top 10.
Spend a few minutes flipping back through the posts on here, to see the unfair criticism DP gets. That is why I brought it up, not as an outstanding achievement but more, that he is doing the job he is being asked to do, for which, he earned a top 10 finish.
Seems incongruous that a senior coach would select a player to play 49 consecutive games if he is frustrated with him.

Last edited:
Back