The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

i never understood why vardy was questioned so much. i mean, where are all these world class forwards england are hiding for him to get a game?
Sturridge is the obvious one.

But Rooney is done. Ings hasn't done anything this season except move to a big club. Kane had 1 season of goals.

It's not exactly like he's stealing a spot from someone better.

Sturridge is the obvious one.

But Rooney is done. Ings hasn't done anything this season except move to a big club. Kane had 1 season of goals.

It's not exactly like he's stealing a spot from someone better.

that's what i mean. in the squad, you need to take about 3-4 forwards. sturridge is always injured, kane is struggling under pressure, ings is s**t. england aren't stacked, and at least vardy gives a toss when he's out there.

He is fantastic form and works his socks off no doubt but England have qualification wrapped up they should be looking to the future and the player that will help them reach their goals of at least being a semi final side by the 2018/2020 international competitions. If they were battling for points to get qualification the older guy is the correct selection

Is Vardy the man in form right now? Yes.
Is Vardy the man to see them get to a semi final of the 2018 WC or Euro 2020? No.

He is fantastic form and works his socks off no doubt but England have qualification wrapped up they should be looking to the future and the player that will help them reach their goals of at least being a semi final side by the 2018/2020 international competitions. If they were battling for points to get qualification the older guy is the correct selection

Is Vardy the man in form right now? Yes.
Is Vardy the man to see them get to a semi final of the 2018 WC or Euro 2020? No.
So who would you pick instead?

England need to score more goals though. Rooney is finished.

So who scores then? If we want to blood other players (Redmond/Sinclair), how is that different to what they're doing with Jamie?
England have Sturridge, Kane, Walcott & Rooney up front. If they didn't have faith in those 4 then maybe pick Berahino but I'd be pretty happy with that strike force.

Vardy is 28 isn't he? He'd be 33 when England are seriously a chance to contest for winning something. Getting caps into Berahino, Redmond, Alli, Dier, Ward-Prowse etc. now is more helpful to their 2018-2022 causes than playing Vardy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many players get a cap before they deserve one and never end up kicking on with their career?

Getting experience is wonderful, but international football shouldnt be a kindergarden.

How many players get a cap before they deserve one and never end up kicking on with their career?

Getting experience is wonderful, but international football shouldnt be a kindergarden.
Yeah but where does short sightedness like the David Nugent, Rickie Lambert & Vardy style selections get you?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/23963416

If 2022 is their target that's what these qualifiers should be used for. It's should also be on their mind when looking at picking squads for the 2018 qualifiers also. What's the point of Phil Jagielka taking international caps & international tournament experience if England aren't going to win Euro 2016?

Yeah but where does short sightedness like the David Nugent, Rickie Lambert & Vardy style selections get you?
If they're the best players at the time they give you the best chance of winning international games.

Under Hodgson, the second anyone has a decent few weeks they're up into that international squad. Look at the list of duds that have made England squads before they are ready. More than half arent good enough for a top premier league let alone leading England to international glory.

If they're the best players at the time they give you the best chance of winning international games.

Under Hodgson, the second anyone has a decent few weeks they're up into that international squad. Look at the list of duds that have made England squads before they are ready. More than half arent good enough for a top premier league let alone leading England to international glory.
So if Cameron Jerome, Defoe, Agbonlahor or Glenn Murray go on a hot streak between now and the Euros they should be included in the squads? It's all well and good for the FA to come out with a long-term goal they should do everything they can to reach them, even if that means a not picking the most in form XI in the short-term

So if Cameron Jerome, Defoe, Agbonlahor or Glenn Murray go on a hot streak between now and the Euros they should be included in the squads? It's all well and good for the FA to come out with a long-term goal they should do everything they can to reach them, even if that means a not picking the most in form XI in the short-term
No. International selection shouldnt be about who is on a hot streak, or a promising kid who's had a few decent games. Thats exactly what I'm saying.

No. International selection shouldnt be about who is on a hot streak, or a promising kid who's had a few decent games. Thats exactly what I'm saying.
But it's England though. They don't exactly scream out 25 quality international players.

If it's between who is on a hot streak vs promising kid to fill out a squad, I think it's got to be the latter.

But it's England though. They don't exactly scream out 25 quality international players.

If it's between who is on a hot streak vs promising kid to fill out a squad, I think it's got to be the latter.
Disagree. Internation football not a training ground for me.

So who are you picking then? :confused: Picking based on reputation?
To an extent. Reputation is earned by performing at a high level for more than a few weeks.

All I'm saying is that you should have to play more than half a dozen decent games before you're rushed into your international team.

To an extent. Reputation is deserved by performing at a high level for more than a few weeks.

All I'm saying is that you should have to play more than half a dozen decent games before you're rushed into your international team.
So your thoughts on Vardy are that he shouldn't be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back