The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally getting a win sure does make working another nightshift easier.

The win also gives me hope that when I head to Brisbane for the Carlton and GWS games I might actually see a win or at least a competitive effort.

Another positive.

The 'player exodus' of last year hasn't hurt the Brisbane Lions as much the pundits predicted.

Longer (9 senior games for the Lions) was replaced by Pick 25 (Daniel McStay) and Pick 41 (Trent West - 6 senior games so far)
Docherty (13 senior games) was replaced by Pick 33 (Tom Cutler - 3 senior games so far). Docherty yet to play for his new club.
Karnezis (21 senior games) was replaced by Jackson Paine (2 senior games). Karnezis yet to play for his new club.
Polec (16 senior games) was replaced by Pick 22 (Darcy Gardiner - 2 senior games) and Pick 34 (Nick Robertson - 3 senior games)
Yeo (27 senior games) was replaced by Pick 28 (Lewis Taylor - 6 games)

I can see Taylor (7th game), Robertson (4th game), West (7th game), Cutler (4th game) and Gardiner (3rd game) all playing next week.

And Aish has been a handy pick up as well. :)

Another positive.

The 'player exodus' of last year hasn't hurt the Brisbane Lions as much the pundits predicted.

Longer (9 senior games for the Lions) was replaced by Pick 25 (Daniel McStay) and Pick 41 (Trent West - 6 senior games so far)
Docherty (13 senior games) was replaced by Pick 33 (Tom Cutler - 3 senior games so far). Docherty yet to play for his new club.
Karnezis (21 senior games) was replaced by Jackson Paine (2 senior games). Karnezis yet to play for his new club.
Polec (16 senior games) was replaced by Pick 22 (Darcy Gardiner - 2 senior games) and Pick 34 (Nick Robertson - 3 senior games)
Yeo (27 senior games) was replaced by Pick 28 (Lewis Taylor - 6 games)

I can see Taylor (7th game), Robertson (4th game), West (7th game), Cutler (4th game) and Gardiner (3rd game) all playing next week.

And Aish has been a handy pick up as well. :)

It's too early to tell, but I agree that the newbies may end up being upgrades on their predecessors. Our kids are playing b/c we have to play them; Doc & Karnezis are injured, Yeo has been solid whilst Polec has shown why he was a high draft pick. Longer left to play seniors but he didn't do a great deal against us last night :p

That being said, with the right development, Gardiner + Cutler + McStay could form 3 of our back 6 for the next decade and Lewwwwwy Taylor could be anything :thumbsu: Watched Boomer decimate Crowley & the Dockers last night with countless gut running give & go's; Taylor is starting to do that in his first few games. And that's w/out a pre-season!!! Robertson, really like the way he goes about it. Another pre-season and 8kg of muscle and he'll be a scary prospect in the centre square :hearts:

I am convinced we are on the right track. Once players like Aish, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler, and Gardiner have 50 games under their belts we will climb up that ladder fast. Aish and Taylor in particular look like potential A graders early on.

I am convinced we are on the right track. Once players like Aish, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler, and Gardiner have 50 games under their belts we will climb up that ladder fast. Aish and Taylor in particular look like potential A graders early on.

I would add Clarke into the mix as well - a key defender who in most other clubs would have got a couple of full seasons in a lower league to learn his craft. By necessity we have had to throw him in as one of our best available defenders probably well before he was ready and I think he is on a big learning curve but is going to be a great player for us. Bit by bit he is starting to look more comfortable in his role and will get much much better yet.

Good to see the senior players standing up to back up the younger team mates.
Big Sauce went good and I hope he builds on this with some more solid games.

The biggest positive I think at the moment is the speed that Gardiner and Taylor are coming along, in addition to the like of Aish, Cutler and Robbo.

The big deal though for me was Adcock last night. Same effort as the last few games, but got reward for effort this time. I think he's starting to become a bit more comfortable with the captaincy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we make any ca$h from last night as the "away" team???

No, away teams don't get a share of the gate takings - even in 'unique' locations.

(The Wellington game only generates money for the Saints via a deal with NZ governments I presume and not much directly from ticket sales [which would barely cover expenses])

No, away teams don't get a share of the gate takings - even in 'unique' locations.

(The Wellington game only generates money for the Saints via a deal with NZ governments I presume and not much directly from ticket sales [which would barely cover expenses])

Obvious/silly question: why would we participate then? Surely we get something out of it?

We don't get a choice. AFL HQ tells us what the draw is.

The Lions knew it was coming though as the Saint's Wellington games can only really be against clubs from the eastern states - with Sydney and Brisbane being the prime candidates. This is because of how long it takes to get there.

Obviously it takes away a Lions Melbourne match though, which is crap for us.

Any club should feel honoured to represent Australia in Wellington on ANZAC Day, period, irrespective of any questions about the AFL's motivation.

I understand the sentiment, ANZAC Day and all (which I absolutely respect and love and understand the players would have absolutely loved to play on that day).

But I don't care what bloody day it is when it means stealing a game from an agreement made when the AFL was party to the first merger 18 years ago - it is B/S period. The AFL instead ignores the agreement it signed up to almost 20 years ago and instead honours later-day agreements that the Melbourne clubs now make with various governments.

As a byproduct Lions fans in Melbourne get screwed as usual (the more things change....).

I understand the sentiment, ANZAC Day and all (which I absolutely respect and love and understand the players would have absolutely loved to play on that day).

But I don't care what bloody day it is when it means stealing a game from an agreement made when the AFL was party to the first merger 18 years ago - it is B/S period. The AFL instead ignores the agreement it signed up to almost 20 years ago and instead honours later-day agreements that the Melbourne clubs now make with various governments.

As a byproduct Lions fans in Melbourne get screwed as usual (the more things change....).

I would give up a game in Brissy to play in an NZ ANZAC commemoration match, but I understand the sentiment. Personally, it's the scheduling of us to play in Tassie, yet again, or Darwin, that I find thoroughly infuriating in light of our two town nature. Those decisions are slaps in the face. Playing on ANZAC day I wouldn't trade for anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back