The Questions Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about his big date? If so that was Thursday night... so that's some massive walk of shame there. :p

How was it anyway, good night BALKAN ??
d11d1c516380d1c6ed3da36170911e6e4c7c3683a178d1573d9f56f12fe6a193.jpg

:oops:

Anyone had a tooth extracted? I have a molar (top row, second from the back) that needs a root canal but can't justify the price tag at the moment. Extraction a possible solution but not sure what to do.

Pros and cons anybody?

I would make the point that a lot of the media attention women's sport receives actually has a negative impact on its development. Female athletes are pigeonholed as sex objects or lesbians, the questions they get asked in interviews are demeaning, their bodies receive excessive scrutiny, their personal lives are often judged more harshly than male athletes.

Media attention is only a good thing in sport if it promotes the sport and leads to a positive image of it / more funding. A lot of the time the media approach to women's sport reinforces its status as a sideshow that isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

I'd point to things like the Lingerie Football League, the way the media alternately worshipped and then demonised Jana Pittman, the inevitable nude shoots in Black + White every time the Olympics come around, the gossip-mag-like reporting of catfights in the Australian swimming team, the way a women's sport receives attention inversely proportional to the size of their uniforms (which are often deliberately skimpier than male counterparts) etc.
Why are those nude shoots never in colour?

I would make the point that a lot of the media attention women's sport receives actually has a negative impact on its development. Female athletes are pigeonholed as sex objects or lesbians, the questions they get asked in interviews are demeaning, their bodies receive excessive scrutiny, their personal lives are often judged more harshly than male athletes.

Media attention is only a good thing in sport if it promotes the sport and leads to a positive image of it / more funding. A lot of the time the media approach to women's sport reinforces its status as a sideshow that isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

I'd point to things like the Lingerie Football League, the way the media alternately worshipped and then demonised Jana Pittman, the inevitable nude shoots in Black + White every time the Olympics come around, the gossip-mag-like reporting of catfights in the Australian swimming team, the way a women's sport receives attention inversely proportional to the size of their uniforms (which are often deliberately skimpier than male counterparts) etc.

No one wants to admit it, but a lot of the time without the media attention described above women's sport wouldn't get media attention at all.

Is it the lesser of two evils?

The opera was fantastic. Simply mesmerising. Wouldgoagain/10
If you like it that much, get a subscription and go as many times as possible before you get too much older. If you're under 30 they are dirt cheap - with Opera Australia I pay $60 for A Reserve seating at the Sydney Opera House.

Next season is my final year of eligibility for a Youth subscription. If I wanted to keep the same seat the following year, I'd be paying $248 a performance.

The opera was fantastic. Simply mesmerising. Wouldgoagain/10

My attempts at flirting were not. Let's leave it at that.

Thanks for this talk re this opera :) Don't know this one . Looked up the Anvil chorus . Really good. And I will check out the whole opera when I have time . See, this is why I like B F . One can learn so much , while having fun :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you like it that much, get a subscription and go as many times as possible before you get too much older. If you're under 30 they are dirt cheap - with Opera Australia I pay $60 for A Reserve seating at the Sydney Opera House.

Next season is my final year of eligibility for a Youth subscription. If I wanted to keep the same seat the following year, I'd be paying $248 a performance.

I'm not sure if the WA Opera has that type of a set up but I'll certainly look into it

Last edited:
They should have some sort of deal. Opera companies have massive problems with attracting a younger demographic so they generally offer pretty heavy discounts for youth subscribers.

Last time I was in Melbourne I got second row tickets to Traviata at Vic Opera for less than 30 bucks.

My old man's idea of fun is going to Bayreuth, watching The Ring and making notes in his own copy of the libretto. He used to take us to the opera as kids but made the mistake of describing it as character building meaning it was immediately viewed with suspicion by my brother and myself. I don't mind going to the odd opera, Aida on the harbour looks amazing, but my tastes are generally too philistine to appreciate it.

My tastes are pretty mainstream - bel canto, Verdi, Puccini, Mozart etc. Anything with some good tunes and a fun story.

Wagner is my idea of hell.
First opera I saw was The Flying Dutchman, quite why dad thought that was an appropriate introduction to the genre for a pair of early teens is still a mystery to me.

Not all publicity is good publicity.

I watched a bit of tennis last night in the company of two women who are keen tennis players and followers of the WTA and ATP tours. It was Pannetta vs Petkovic in some WTA event. We only watched for about 10-15 minutes and in that time they managed to comment on the colour of the court (blue court but the general area was pink, presumably some kind of breast cancer awareness thing), that they didn't like the outfit of one of the players and that Wozniacki is beautiful but Serena Williams is not.

If you were marketing women's tennis and didn't focus on fashion etc. you'd be a ******* idiot.

What's the username Quivorr mean/stand for Quivorir ?
It was a random name given to me from some MMO a while ago, It had its own random name generator so I just used it, it gave me Quivoriririr so I just took of the last few 'ir's' and pretty much use it for everything.

Its good cause its so unique, if I go to sign up for something and my name is taken I just need to scroll through my passwords as I know its me that signed up :p

My old man's idea of fun is going to Bayreuth, watching The Ring and making notes in his own copy of the libretto. He used to take us to the opera as kids but made the mistake of describing it as character building meaning it was immediately viewed with suspicion by my brother and myself. I don't mind going to the odd opera, Aida on the harbour looks amazing, but my tastes are generally too philistine to appreciate it.

Aida is a bit of an effort outside the Triumphal March - but I guess you can look at the scenery up there.

Also iluvparis where have I heard the anvil chorus before? Is it in some beer ad?

Don't remember it being on a beer add but there is a huge chance it has been used as an add on TV somewhere before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back