Analysis The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to recruit a mature (23+) KP Defender. Rampe is near the end and if Tom McCartin were to go down we'd be stuffed.

Apart from that I think we already have what we need on our list.
Gould has come on very well in 5he reserves. VFL Swans Player of the Year.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

he did a job v pies though,

v dees and cats he may as well have sat in the grandstand

Now yep forward delivery was complete s**t, and not sure what instructions he has , but only like one time early in the second did it seem he got up the ground to get involved . Maybe he can't do that at all anymore

sometimes he moves well , other times he looks like he can't get the ball below his knees

his hands seem to be made of concrete
He was lucky the Pies got the match ups wrong. Maynard (189) and Howe (190 & an intercept defender) took him in the first half. If he could not beat them he should be taken out and given the cure. In the second half they put Moore on him and he obliterated Buddy. He was absolute crap. On the best defenders in the comp he is just not capable of even matching them

Buddy is a real conundrum, he was found out in finals. He had a few games throughout the season where he looked really slow, was caught trying to do too much etc. But each time he responded with a good game, and overall seemed to adjust his game to overcome his limitations. But when the heat was turned up in finals, he performed to the level he did in those poor games throughout the season.

His role needs to go from being the f50 target ~50% of the time (or whatever it is) to 20-30% of the time.

We need to have a forward structure where buddy is one of many targets, rather than being our primary target. And the structure and movement within the forward line needs to reflect that change.

Buddy also needs to shed a good 5kg over the off-season if he wants to negate the effects of ageing. Needs to put in 110% in terms of diet and training if he's serious about contributing next year.

I think we need another ruck. McAndrew needs to develop rather quickly if Ladhams continues on his destructive path. Big Sammy is 30, turns 31 next year. That is getting to the end. I know rucks tend to have a few more years than the average player but he has got probably 2-4 years, if injury does not cruel him.

I agree with the big boddied mid. We were desperately missing that in the GF. Someone to stand up and say eff you. I have an out of left field suggestion. I think Gould will be a fine 3rd defender but what about trying him in the mids? He is the strongest player on the list. Grew up kicking bags of chaff over the barn. He is a huge kick and his 60 metre passes generally find a host. I saw, him burst out of fullback with two players hanging off him run dragging them for a few metres then handball to a runner going past. The umpire rightly let play go because at no time was he impeded.

There is always room for improvement and the GF showed many the ways we need to improve. But it was the younger players who stood up not the senior players. The là is a worry. I also think Sam Reid was obviously not right from the start and the players knew it. Very early they put the ball to him on several occasions and he was way behind his opponent by the time the ball got there. I think heads dropped then. There is an old saying: Never Take An Injured Player, Even a Doubtful One, I to a GF. Longmire has ignored this on 3 occasions. Enough said.

Interesting idea about playing Gould in midfield. Amartey maybe too? Certainly worth a try in preseason and twos.
Gould 191cm 97kg
Amartey 197cm 100kg
Cripps 195cm 93kg
Blicavs 198cm 78kg (seems too light to me).
Nothing to lose giving it a go. At one stage it was suggested to run Rampe through and recently fox too, but he's the same size as the mids.

I feel like we can find a role for Armatey if we're creative enough. His height and athleticism could be a huge advantage for us if we figure out the right way to use it.

It’s buddy Franklin,
Until he retires he is the main focus

It’s just the way
It should not be the way. He will not kick 50 next year. Lucky to kick 20 in my opinion. Opposition coaches know he is on the way out. He may have kicked 50 this year but he also got exploited. They ran off him 9/10. He is not capae of long chases and the opposition know it. Short bursts yes, long no.

He won't learn from 5 of the 6 that were there on Sat. Ramps aside.
Rampe is getting to the end too. Last year he had matches, where he was nowhere near his opponent. Especially on mid height or small forwards. He has lost a metre. He got caught more often than at any other time. Took them on far too often when he should have dished off. Kicked in panic, where previously he would have found a outlet. He also kicked long on almost every occasion, which tells me he does not trust his passing.

The others are learning. I think Gould really needs to come in from day one. The Dozer (bulldozer) really needs to become a part of our becks on a regular basis. Let Lloydy go up the ground. He was sensational when he went to the wing in the finals several times. There was no match up for him down back and the opposition were playing an extra at the ball. He just played wing and was very good. That is where he started his footy. He can also play inside mid.

He was lucky the Pies got the match ups wrong. Maynard (189) and Howe (190 & an intercept defender) took him in the first half. If he could not beat them he should be taken out and given the cure. In the second half they put Moore on him and he obliterated Buddy. He was absolute crap. On the best defenders in the comp he is just not capable of even matching them

disagree but each to their own

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being on the senior list is not an indication of earning high wages automatically.

He likely has earned the minimum wage or just above it for his entire career at the club which would peg his career earnings between 800k and 900k.

Signing a long term deal would indicate he didnt sign for below average, 3 year deal on the minimum seems unlikely, maybe the ome year extension.

either way he has had 10 seasons listed, he was not on 80-90k a year, no way imo

Signing a long term deal would indicate he didnt sign for below average, 3 year deal on the minimum seems unlikely, maybe the ome year extension.

either way he has had 10 seasons listed, he was not on 80-90k a year, no way imo
Elevated to senior list in 2015.

Glandular fever, OP, then a busted hand ended that year.

2016 should have been a premiership ruckman.

Pretty good 2017.

ACL 2018 and LTI pretty much since. Could have returned in second half of year but they went conservative.

I hope that strategy works because we need him.

I think there is scope for the Swans to move faster on tough calls with selection decisions.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think we could have dropped McInerney a few of weeks out of finals, with time for a replacement to make the position their own or for McInerney to earn his way back with renewed vigour.

I also think having McDonald and Franklin in the team was unbalanced and clearly wasn’t working. If we dropped McDonald earlier for Amartey, it would have made it easier to bring in The Cleaner for Reid in the GF.

Tough calls I know, to make at the time and to raise the criticism now, but I think we should be more open to players come in and out of the team - particularly next year when we will have an extra year in our young fringe players and also because the GF showed the value of having fresh players.

I think there is scope for the Swans to move faster on tough calls with selection decisions.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think we could have dropped McInerney a few of weeks out of finals, with time for a replacement to make the position their own or for McInerney to earn his way back with renewed vigour.

I also think having McDonald and Franklin in the team was unbalanced and clearly wasn’t working. If we dropped McDonald earlier for Amartey, it would have made it easier to bring in The Cleaner for Reid in the GF.

Tough calls I know, to make at the time and to raise the criticism now, but I think we should be more open to players come in and out of the team - particularly next year when we will have an extra year in our young fringe players and also because the GF showed the value of having fresh players.
A 35 year old Buddy, coupled with McLean and Armatey was not the answer.

Nor is it the answer in 2023.

I have thought a lot about our talls. In my mind I have moved them individually in and out of the team. What I have come to realise is that I am spending a lot of time trying to fit the solution to the problem of Amartey and McLean.

If we have a forward line Heeney, Papley, Hayward, Gulden as the core, McDonald as the tall then there is only 1-2 more spots left. Buddy takes one and Reid the other. At this stage. If injury occurs then Amatey and The Cleaner get opportunities.

I would love to recruit a Cadman this year but that won't happen.

I have thought a lot about our talls. In my mind I have moved them individually in and out of the team. What I have come to realise is that I am spending a lot of time trying to fit the solution to the problem of Amartey and McLean.

If we have a forward line Heeney, Papley, Hayward, Gulden as the core, McDonald as the tall then there is only 1-2 more spots left. Buddy takes one and Reid the other. At this stage. If injury occurs then Amatey and The Cleaner get opportunities.

I would love to recruit a Cadman this year but that won't happen.
Cadman won't but Keeler might.
There will be games this year when neither Bud nor Reid play and we will need McDonald, McLean and Amartey all playing. I look forward to seeing how that works, or even if it doesn't. At least we'll know.

I think this belongs here. It is good to see Clarke & Gould signing on. I think Clarke could have gotten a 2 at least but not to be. Will, is a very good developing back. He will play senior footy next year, if he stays fit. He is a bull. A great intercept mark and has proved he can manage the key forwards if need be in the VFL.

The way forward is to sign players who strengthen your squad and these two do.

I actually agree with you. I did not see the value in re-signing Buddy into a developing forward line. It is a regressive move. Amartey, Mcdonald & McLean are the future. If Amartey had McLean's aggression or McLean had Amartey's natural agility and talent we would have a superstar. While McLean will always be a servicable player, Amartey can develop the mongrel needed to be a great player.

Cadman won't but Keeler might.
There will be games this year when neither Bud nor Reid play and we will need McDonald, McLean and Amartey all playing. I look forward to seeing how that works, or even if it doesn't. At least we'll know.
In the games Buddy, and or Reid, did not play in the last 2 years the forward line has worked very well.

In the games Buddy, and or Reid, did not play in the last 2 years the forward line has worked very well.

TBH I had hoped Buddy would retire. I've always believed champions should leave too early rather than too late. For mine his last 5 games were cooked.
Our forward line was more flexible without him, as you pointed out (sort of). Reid's contribution was very different and we were a better side when he was fit and firing.
With Reid, Logan, McLean and Amartey to choose from I think we would/will be fine. If Buddy is not fully fit it will be a nightmare.

TBH I had hoped Buddy would retire. I've always believed champions should leave too early rather than too late. For mine his last 5 games were cooked.
Our forward line was more flexible without him, as you pointed out (sort of). Reid's contribution was very different and we were a better side when he was fit and firing.
With Reid, Logan, McLean and Amartey to choose from I think we would/will be fine. If Buddy is not fully fit it will be a nightmare.
I don't think he should've retired - 50 goals is a great haul for any forward, regardless of how his form tapered off towards the end of the season. He is still very much a good asset to have on the list, presumably for a lot cheaper than his previous contract.

What perhaps should change going forward is his standing at the club as an infallible, undroppable force. If he has a quiet stretch as he had in the finals, maybe that gets him dropped just as it would for McDonald, McLean, Amartey and Reid. It might've been unthinkable even as recently as this year but form is form and it has to be prioritised over reputation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back