Opinion They can't all be champs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Re-reading this thread just reinforces how amazing it is that Blicavs won the Carji this year.

Just three years ago, a number of people were expecting that Blicavs wouldn't make it, and rightly so. A steeplechaser/1500 m runner whose only football experience was two years of junior footy, and who'd played half a season in the VFL without showing anything remarkable apart from his running ability.

It's worth reflecting again just how far Blicavs has come in three years, and what a credit it is to his hard work, perseverance, and willingness to learn. Well done Blitz!

I don't see Blicavs making it.

Oh-my-GIF.gif

He was never in the pack in my eyes. And for good reason, I have never seen him as a KP forward. He has always looked like a med tall flanker to me.

people were potting Motlop and Blicavs and you bring me up for some quote-shaming rabbi? :p

I'm still not sure he'll cut it in that (3rd tall forward) role either.

I reckon Kersten's an old-fashioned full-forward, unfortunately for him we have Tom Hawkins.

Still a depth player after 4 seasons on the list; not the best position to be in is it .. ?

Better suited yes but he will have to rely on injuries for games and not just Menzel IMO.

I will let the preseason determine that. But I cannot see why you cannot have a medium tall on the left and right flank with smaller ground hogs in the pockets.

people were potting Motlop and Blicavs and you bring me up for some quote-shaming rabbi? :p

I am not sure what quotes you are talking about.
But if I did pot you then you probably deserved it.:D

I'm still not sure he'll cut it in that (3rd tall forward) role either.

I suppose that we could say that about any forward on the list (with the exception of Hawkins who is a KPF).
I reckon Kersten's an old-fashioned full-forward, unfortunately for him we have Tom Hawkins.

I disagree and I have been consistent on that for as many years.

Still a depth player after 4 seasons on the list; not the best position to be in is it .. ?

Who are the consistent medium tall forwards on our list in the last four years?

Blitz has been an amazing footy story - and we all know the story. To win a B&F is a fabulous effort. But let's have some perspective here - had J. Selwood had a decent year he would have beaten Blitz in the B&F - true also had Duncan played more games in this season.

Blitz won the B&F when we had our poorest season in nearly a decade and so many players were either young or had ordinary seasons.

That does not diminish Blitz but it just adds context.

I expect Blitz to improve further again next season and if he can become a genuine full time mid (that is get a few more possies, few more clearances and contested balls - and then add his following abilities as third man up and taking marks around the ground - he will be a very good contributor to this side. Maybe helping us become one of the best midfields in the AFL.

SERIOUSLY NO ONE GIVE A FLYING **** ABOUT BLAKE/KING/MUMFORD ANYMORE IT WAS YEARS AGO. LET. IT. DIE. KTHANXBAI

Bring back Bill Ryan.

I loved Bill Ryan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring back Bill Ryan.

I loved Bill Ryan.

He was a terriffic player for Geelong - and he retired relatively early - because his daughter was sick - and the Queensland climate was considered beneficial to her health

As good as a player Ryan was - he did get dropped for the odd reserve game - i can remember a game in the 60s at KP - it would have been late in the last qtr in the seconds- i was watching from around near the players race- and the umpire ( you could hear it clearly) said roughly the following to Ryan ( who was a big name to be playing seconds) - " theres no kick for you there Billy - your staging Billy - cut that stuff out Billy " - the umpire was half laughing when he said it to him - i can remember that - like it was yesterday

Who are the consistent medium tall forwards on our list in the last four years?

well that's the problem; we haven't had any, and Kersten still hasn't really cracked a spot - I'm not sure it's really a position that needs to be filled these days anyway.
personally I don't think Kersten has the required agility to make a good fist of the medium-tall forward role; happy for him to prove me wrong though because I do think he has talent.
Menzel was our best bet in that role; good overhead and competent when the ball is on the deck ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back