Opinion They can't all be champs...

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we know much more about Kersten now than we did then. He was pretty disappointing in his games this year but I think he will be better next year with a full pre-season. So I am trying to slowly back down from that call.

I don't think we know much more about Kersten now than we did then. He was pretty disappointing in his games this year but I think he will be better next year with a full pre-season. So I am trying to slowly back down from that call.

Not sure what your actual call was bulletproof (although I did just skim through most of the thread), but I was pretty bullish about Kersten prior to the 2014 season - I had liked the little I'd seen of him in the VFL (maybe 3 games, all of which he played quite well) and I got the distinct impression that the MC were going to hold a spot for him coming into 2014, based on a few comments by Chris Scott in the media, and given he would only sign a 1-year contract, and had shown good VFL form.
It took half the season before the MC could introduce him into the side, to the frustration of both Mitch Brown and Josh Walker, and for 2, 3 weeks, he looked like delivering on the promise. He wound up getting the most extended run of all our KF prospects (including the injured Vardy), 9 games on the trot, a courtesy not extended to either Walker or Brown earlier in the season. Unfortunately, he hit a wall and was unable to make an impact after the initial spike.
It's entirely up to Kersten as to how he responds, he's been given a small taste of AFL football and now at least knows what to expect.

It's interesting that when it came to the crunch the MC brought in Brown rather than Kersten for the SF, as both were available for selection .. to be fair on Kersten he had missed a few weeks by that stage though ..

Nothing's any clearer, nothing's really been proven, when it comes to the 2nd KF position; Kersten comes back to the pack a little in my eyes, and as I pointed out the MC weren't rushing to get him back in for the SF. But 9 games is certainly not enough to make a definitive call.

Not sure what your actual call was bulletproof (although I did just skim through most of the thread), but I was pretty bullish about Kersten prior to the 2014 season - I had liked the little I'd seen of him in the VFL (maybe 3 games, all of which he played quite well) and I got the distinct impression that the MC were going to hold a spot for him coming into 2014, based on a few comments by Chris Scott in the media, and given he would only sign a 1-year contract, and had shown good VFL form.
It took half the season before the MC could introduce him into the side, to the frustration of both Mitch Brown and Josh Walker, and for 2, 3 weeks, he looked like delivering on the promise. He wound up getting the most extended run of all our KF prospects (including the injured Vardy), 9 games on the trot, a courtesy not extended to either Walker or Brown earlier in the season. Unfortunately, he hit a wall and was unable to make an impact after the initial spike.
It's entirely up to Kersten as to how he responds, he's been given a small taste of AFL football and now at least knows what to expect.

It's interesting that when it came to the crunch the MC brought in Brown rather than Kersten for the SF, as both were available for selection .. to be fair on Kersten he had missed a few weeks by that stage though ..

Nothing's any clearer, nothing's really been proven, when it comes to the 2nd KF position; Kersten comes back to the pack a little in my eyes, and as I pointed out the MC weren't rushing to get him back in for the SF. But 9 games is certainly not enough to make a definitive call.

Could not play because of injury and then time needed to get back and it took a while.

His first 5 games we ok. He then faded after that. Whether it was lack of preseason thus lack of of game fitness, the injury again or just a 9 game player treading water trying to fins his way in the game.

For mine, it was probably all of them. He showed enough to be offered a longer deal by the club but his spot is not guaranteed. With Walker, Vardy and Kersten putting hands up for 2nd and 3rd forward spots it will be on like donkey kong.

He will be better for a full preseason next year and a better fitness base should yield results. Given the MC went with him for 9 in a row the club has at least showed it will play him - which is what he wants and clearly and why he did the one year deal. Hopefully a longer deal is coming.

Go Catters

Could not play because of injury and then time needed to get back and it took a while.

His first 5 games we ok. He then faded after that. Whether it was lack of preseason thus lack of of game fitness, the injury again or just a 9 game player treading water trying to fins his way in the game.

For mine, it was probably all of them. He showed enough to be offered a longer deal by the club but his spot is not guaranteed. With Walker, Vardy and Kersten putting hands up for 2nd and 3rd forward spots it will be on like donkey kong.

He will be better for a full preseason next year and a better fitness base should yield results. Given the MC went with him for 9 in a row the club has at least showed it will play him - which is what he wants and clearly and why he did the one year deal. Hopefully a longer deal is coming.

Go Catters

very good point, Daz.

DtC..................................Schroeder
Fred.................................Sheringham
YOTC................................Schroeder

PO....................................Cowan (oooo!! )
ChappyUK..........................Blicavs
Pennypacker......................Simpson
Turbo................................Bilcavs
Catsmaninamerica...............Bathie
Bulletproof.........................Kersten...though maybe Schroeder? Gave you Kersten coz its brave!
Senatorguesty....................Walker
Gogginourbest....................Horlin-Smith (!!)
Sleazy....................didnt nominate anyone
Scotty...............................Sheringham
Daz..................................Sheringham

SJ....................................Motlop :eek:
Perthmadcatter...................Brown
YPO..................................Simpson
Sarah13.............................Brown
catswhiskers......................Burbury
witsend.............................Burbury

Beth.................................Menzel:eek::eek:
JonDouglas.......................Sheringham
krisholio.............................Walker
Varcoe2chapman.................Cowan
MC...................................Shroeder
Swish................................Simpson
Farmer2Goggin....................Brown
James1970.........................Menzel
Reebus..............................Motlop
LS-V.................................Simpson
VD....................................Sheringham

In light of the recent delistings, couldn't help but BUMP the above…..especially as yours truly got one right for a change.

Of course, those delisted may do a Simpkin….but on todays announcements, those bolded showed supreme judgement 18 months ago. Congratulations.

No doubt Wells will be in touch with those bolded to check his selections in future are on the money.:D

As for the others……………..:(:eek::D

In light of the recent delistings, couldn't help but BUMP the above…..especially as yours truly got one right for a change.

Of course, those delisted may do a Simpkin….but on todays announcements, those bolded showed supreme judgement 18 months ago. Congratulations.

No doubt Wells will be in touch with those bolded to check his selections in future are on the money.:D

How embarrasing for ChappyUK.

It gives me no pleasure....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was never in the pack in my eyes. And for good reason, I have never seen him as a KP forward. He has always looked like a med tall flanker to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back