Society & Culture Things that s**t me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been really lucky with our pets. Our cats have all been very healthy and the only dog we have had was a little bitzer that was fit as a fiddle until old age caught up with him. I did always say that if they were bitten by a snake I would cough up for the anti-venom no questions asked but fortunately it never happened.

people spending thousands of dollars on animal surgery. notsureifsrs.

Like CouchPotato said my dog is part of my family. In fact until a couple of years ago when I met my partner he was my only family(in close distance anyway). I've had him for seven years and he's been the only constant in what has been a very tumultuous seven years. When the vet told me how much it was going to be I didn't have a second thought. The cost will hurt but there is no way in the world I wouldn't get it done.

I can understand people not wanting to pay that much money for animals but that is a choice you make before you decide to get a pet, not after.

We had two dogs when I was a kid. The first came along before me and died when I was 8 (I think she was 14, I only ever remember her being old), the second we got when I was 9 and she died when I was almost 26. That dog was a constant for a 16/17 year period spanning primary school through high school uni and adulthood. All dogs have an expiry date - you know that when you get one, but it's still miserable when they go. I'm fairly sure she (the second one) cost at least ten fold in vet bills than what she actually cost to buy. As a kid in the 90s I didn't comprehend what $1000 was worth to spend on fixing a dog, but as an adult I'd do the same again as the one signing the cheque. I have softened a little though when it comes to putting down a pet. I don't think I could justify keeping my dog alive if his quality of life was going to be miserable (say he had multiple missing limbs, couldn't control his bowels etc.). The right thing to do can be letting a pet go peacefully in some instances.

The right thing to do can be letting a pet go peacefully in some instances.

That is what we had to do with our old dog. She had a cyst on her liver that ruptured and to get her fixed would have cost upwards of $3k but her being 11 years old it was better to just let her go. It happened 4 years ago either this week or last and it still hurts.

One of our dogs died a few years back when she choked on a chicken bone. Had the vet said $5k and I can bring her back I would have paid it in a heartbeat

I was fine with paying $5k for surgery but could understand why others may not. Like others have said, he's part of our family. He was only young and his quality of life hadn't deteriorated. I figured I could spend that much on a holiday. Spending it for another 10 years of having a bud around was worth it.

I had to have my dog put down a few years back because of an aggressive tumour at 13 years of age.

I could not stay and watch and gave her lots of pats and hugs before she was taken away.

As long as I live I will always remember turning back and she was straining at the lead wanting to go with me.

Broke my heart.

Reading all this makes me so sad. My current dog is the first dog I've had and although he's only 7 knowing one day he'll go is very heartbreaking.

Thread has become 'things that make me sad' not things that s**t me. That shits me.;)

Another thing that shits me is sports broadcasters going OTT about the A-League. I like it and am rapt it's doing well but the Sydney and Melbourne derbies are not on par with Man Utd/Man City or Real Madrid/Barcelona. A rivalry stretching back two or three years and a one off crowd of 40,000 which made some noise is nice, but some of the comparisons are cringeworthy and IMO do more harm than good in promoting the game.

It's not A-League or soccer specific, mind. I remember reading once that West Coast vs Freo was the fiercest rivalry in the world, ahead of Rangers/Celtic and whatnot. FFS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread has become 'things that make me sad' not things that s**t me. That shits me.;)

Another thing that shits me is sports broadcasters going OTT about the A-League. I like it and am rapt it's doing well but the Sydney and Melbourne derbies are not on par with Man Utd/Man City or Real Madrid/Barcelona. A rivalry stretching back two or three years and a one off crowd of 40,000 which made some noise is nice, but some of the comparisons are cringeworthy and IMO do more harm than good in promoting the game.

It's not A-League or soccer specific, mind. I remember reading once that West Coast vs Freo was the fiercest rivalry in the world, ahead of Rangers/Celtic and whatnot. FFS.

Soccer in general shits me.

How does a whole sport s**t you? It's like saying Netball shits me. I simply don't watch.

Well, it doesn't s**t me. I just don't understand it, and I don't understand how people can get so emotionally invested in a game that goes for 90 minutes where there's a chance the final score could be the same as what it started at.

Well, it doesn't s**t me. I just don't understand it, and I don't understand how people can get so emotionally invested in a game that goes for 90 minutes where there's a chance the final score could be the same as what it started at.

Fair enough. I don't really follow it either. Could say that about a lot of things I guess. People are just into different things.

You should have read the article in yesterday's paper on how "soccer is going to take over the Australia/universe/world"

One thing I noticed from the article was the massive crowd shot photo they included. Not one woman in that crowd, or very few. Yeah good luck taking over with only 50% of the population interested in the sport.

But like Catfish Alley said before doesnt really worry me. Other than that article, I dont read/take notice/watch anything regarding soccer, cricket, rugby. Am countin down the days till tennis take over our screens tho. ;)

You should have read the article in yesterday's paper on how "soccer is going to take over the Australia/universe/world"

One thing I noticed from the article was the massive crowd shot photo they included. Not one woman in that crowd, or very few. Yeah good luck taking over with only 50% of the population interested in the sport.

But like Catfish Alley said before doesnt really worry me. Other than that article, I dont read/take notice/watch anything regarding soccer, cricket, rugby. Am countin down the days till tennis take over our screens tho. ;)

Yes, can't wait for the Aus Open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back